What's new

light DE razor recommendations?

I've shaved for years with a Gillette Sensor cartridge razor. I bought one of those nylon/delrin cheap plastic DE razors, and I actually got a pretty good shave with it - enough to convince me to buy a "real" razor.

I started using a Vincent DE TTO razor (you know, the cheapie you see everywhere on eBay) and find that most of my nicks seem to come from me shaving too hard. I think part of that is the weight of the head, and/or the balance of the razor.

I'm sure I'll get accustomed to the weight, but am curious if other people run into balance/weight problems and wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a light metal DE razor? New or used doesn't matter to me.

Thanks!

The lightest you're likely to find is an English made aluminum ball-end Tech. Personally I found mine to be too light and after only a couple shaves I stopped using it. Something a little heavier, but by no means heavy is a Gillette Super Speed. The 40s Super Speed and Flair tip are both close to 2 oz, but I'm fairly certain a Blue Tip Super Speed is lighter. They're relatively mild, but more aggressive than the aforementioned Tech. I think they give great shaves, especially the Flair Tip.

If you're interested in the Aluminum Tech (English) or Blue Tip SS, PM me.

My Schick Krona is about the lightest razor in my collection. Although I prefer much heavier razors, the Krona still provides a very nice shave.

Dunno how these perform, but there's a Lord Tech on the B/S/T:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74528

There is a review of this razor too. It is the Lord LP1822. There is also another version with a merkur-type head with the same article number.
I have them both and use them regularly; they are really good performers, the tech-type being a little more aggressive than the merkur-type.
Best cheap (new) razors around in my book!!

aluminium handled tech is about as light as they come (unless you get those travel razors with the super short handles, but they dont really count)

it also happens to be my favourite shaver of all my DE's (heres a SOTD pic)

aluminium handled tech is about as light as they come (unless you get those travel razors with the super short handles, but they dont really count)

it also happens to be my favourite shaver of all my DE's (heres a SOTD pic)

My guess is that you have a thing going for TABAC as well....

I have a 40s fat handled and a ball handle Tech(not aluminum handle) 40s good, ball handle at least excellent; Blue Tip Super Speed good/very good; 40s Milord good/very good; silver Super Speed good/very good; 50s-60s Flare Tip Super Speeds good/very good; Black Plastic Super Speed at least excellent. All have been sterilized by scrubbing, soaking overnight in Simple Green, steaming, boiling, scrubbing with toothbrush and Bon Ami and detergent as appropriate to finish of razor and component parts.

If interested PM me.

Thanks,

Richard

One of the Gillette "Knack" razors might be another option. Nice and light, with a little longer handle, TTO and are generally very nice shavers.

+1 on the schick krona. Nice, solid, cheap razor
+2 I find the balance of the Krona to be nearly perfect, and the handle length suits me better than a SS. This morning I used the Krona, while yesterday it was the 38C. That's a huge difference, but I am always able to make the change to the Krona with no issues.

Top Bottom