What's new

Advice needed on Automatic Watch Winder

Hey folks!

I've recently acquired two nice automatic watches and am considering adding a watch winder to the dresser in order to help keep the watches running and lubricated. In my travels, I've noticed winders ranging in price from down near disposable Bic shaver levels, all the way up to Merkur Vision and (well) beyond. Other than finish, are there qualitative differences between them? Are there brands/models you'd recommend or avoid? If so, I want to know about it.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

James

I bought a couple of cheap winders from ebay. They were loud and did not last more than a few months. After the second one failed, I decided to buy one that would last. Take a look here
http://www.orbita.net/pages/10000.htm

I figured if you are spending thousands of dollars on watches...why not drop a few hundred bucks on a good winder. Lots of folks don't believe in winders (excess wear), but I don't worry about that since my watches are serviced every five years.

I'd say Orbita. Some decent values also....check out TimeZone and see about buying as a beta test.
BUT...for two watches....do you really need a winder? I'd venture that you'll come to the conclusion I did...not really. I have about 4 automatics and find that it takes as much time to unload the winder as it does to set a watch. My opinion. Jim

I'd say Orbita. Some decent values also....check out TimeZone and see about buying as a beta test.
BUT...for two watches....do you really need a winder? I'd venture that you'll come to the conclusion I did...not really. I have about 4 automatics and find that it takes as much time to unload the winder as it does to set a watch. My opinion. Jim

Agreed. I have over 30 autos and decided against buying another winder.

Top Bottom