What's new

Use shaving soap to wash your face?

Morning folks, first post here. Great forum!

Question: is it recommended to use shaving soap (D.R. Harris almond at the moment) as a regular soap to clean your face before shaving? Or is there anything that would make this a rather bad plan?

Cheers for your answers!

its probably not the best idea. i've found that using certain shave soaps (williams mug and crabtree and evelyn) dry out your skin when you use them like a normal soap. but this might just be me cause i tend to either be super oily or super dry. give it a try and see how it works for you.

I actually use a men's face wash (Body Shop) but for no other reason than my wife bought it for me. I like it, but I can't say it does a better job than shave soap would.

Morning folks, first post here. Great forum!

Question: is it recommended to use shaving soap (D.R. Harris almond at the moment) as a regular soap to clean your face before shaving? Or is there anything that would make this a rather bad plan?

Cheers for your answers!

I don't think it would be bad for your skin. However, it could get very expensive. Most triple-milled soaps will last for a year or longer with daily use (as a shaving soap). But they ain't cheap. If you also use them as a facial soap, they're likely to disappear a lot more quickly. For my $$ that's reason enough to use them solely for shaving.

I do this with shave soaps that I don't think measure up for shaving. Most notably is Williams mug soap. 99c per cake, has a nice scent, and is available everywhere. Most of the time I use stuff like Roger et Gallet Fougere or QED's incredible bath soaps. They are a bit more conditioning for regular face washing than the Williams. At least on my visage. But back to your point. Yes, I think it is fine. If it feels uncomfortable, then just stop.

Regards, Todd

I wouldn't recommend it simply b/c shaving soaps produce very thick lather intended to provide cushion against the blade. Most of the shaving soaps and creams I've tried are not as mild as a good facial cleanser. I agree that it would also get expensive.

I demoted my Williams (sorry Week of Williams fans) to a shower soap and use it maily as a facial soap. No issues yet. At .99 - 1.50 a puck cost isn't an issue, and they last long enough to not seem wasteful.

As was stated above. If it dries your face out, stop. If it works for you, keep it up. Only you can be the judge of whether or not it will work for you.

I've been using HBS shave soap to wash my face daily and my skin has gotten better and better since I started using it as a washing soap. :biggrin:

Well, if you can shave with it, I can't think of any reason why you can't wash your face with it. I do the same thing that others mentioned with "sub-par" soaps though, I retire them to the shower and they work just fine.

Soap is soap, isn't it? I routinely squeeze the remaining lather out of my brush and rub it all over my face and let it sit while I clean up. That's an idea that one of the others posted here before me. I love all of my lathers, so whichever one it happens to be, it just makes my shave a bit more enjoyable.

Top Bottom