What's new

So, I like a Bourbon Collins

I made it with ginger ale because I'm out of club soda. Not bad. I've seen recipes for both. What's your preference?

Personally, the only mixed drinks made with straight bourbon I like to make are sours and old-fashioneds. I don't think I've ever tried bourbon and ginger ale. Depending on how much soda water you like (when you have it), add a splash of bar syrup and a dash of bitters, and you've basically got an old-fashioned right there. I suspect you'd enjoy it, if you like the sweetness and carbonation that the ginger ale must impart.

Depending on how much soda water you like (when you have it), add a splash of bar syrup and a dash of bitters, and you've basically got an old-fashioned right there. I suspect you'd enjoy it, if you like the sweetness and carbonation that the ginger ale must impart.

I've always wanted to make one, I just never seem to have the bitters on hand. I don't drink much liquor. But you're right, I do like this bourbon collins, so I'm going to buy some bitters when I restock my club soda and give it a go.

There's a great "BC" comic strip wherein a guy is at Wiley's Bar and he asks if Wiley muddled the fruit in the old fashioned. Wiley says, "Maybe," and you see that all the fruit is skewered on his wooden leg. :lol:

Ah yes an Old Fashioned! It is one of my favorite drinks; although it's funny how often I order one at a bar and the bartender just looks at me funny! It seems mixology is a science that is getting lost in these days of beer and shots.......I am sorry Red Bull and Vodka is a marketing scam to sell Red Bull not a serious cocktail!!

I sued to drink whiskey with fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Sometimes with bitters, sometimes with sugar.

This was in my heavy drinknig days. I beleive the drink was called a Grumpy Old Man, but who knows.

Many a years ago Jack & Ginger was my introduction to drinking.

I can see how your ginger ale Bourbon Collins would be quite good, a refined version of my first.

Bourbon is my liquor of choice. I always have multiple bottles on hand. I have to say that as far as bourbon cocktails go, though, it begins and ends with a well made Manhattan.:cool:

That said, ginger ale is a good mixer for bourbon maybe I'll make a Collins with it out of curiosity,

V

VR6ofpain

I wonder if "dragon's milk" would also work with Bourbon? Normally it is made with scotch (and milk). Quite a nice drink actually.

Bourbon is also my spirit of choice. I enjoy bourbon and ginger ale in the summer, but I wouldn't call it a Collins, I would just call it a highball.

Do you mean just bourbon and ginger ale, or do you also have lemon and sugar like in a Collins?

My favorite whiskey cocktail is the Manhattan. I used to make them with bourbon but I have recently learned to make then with Seagrams Seven Crown, which isn't so overpowering as bourbon. I would like to try them with straight rye whiskey, but no good ones are available in my ABC state, just Jim Beam.

Back to bourbon. I usually drink it straight, or with ice, or with water, or with ice and water.

Tim

Though maybe a "no-no" to the wannabe whisky connoisseurs, I quite enjoy mixing my drinks with ginger ale.

Canadian rye whisky (Alberta Springs) and Canada Dry makes a nice highball in my opinion.

It's Friday and I am going to have one.

Cheers,

RJ

I wonder if "dragon's milk" would also work with Bourbon? Normally it is made with scotch (and milk). Quite a nice drink actually.

Gabe,

From an old Old Mr. Boston's book on mixed drink recipes, you described is a drink called Bulls Milk. I have never had one, just remember the recipe. My own personal though? Ugh.

Last edited:
Bourbon is also my spirit of choice. I enjoy bourbon and ginger ale in the summer, but I wouldn't call it a Collins, I would just call it a highball.

Do you mean just bourbon and ginger ale, or do you also have lemon and sugar like in a Collins?

My favorite whiskey cocktail is the Manhattan. I used to make them with bourbon but I have recently learned to make then with Seagrams Seven Crown, which isn't so overpowering as bourbon. I would like to try them with straight rye whiskey, but no good ones are available in my ABC state, just Jim Beam.

Back to bourbon. I usually drink it straight, or with ice, or with water, or with ice and water.

Tim

Tim

+1 on the Manhattan. I find myself starting to choose that over our usual stand by, the Martini (gin, up). And since tomorrow is St. Valentine's Day, we will be having Martinis!:a54::a54:

Last edited:

Yeah, Manhattans are great, but Jim Beam rye really didn't do it for me. I recently got some Sazerac rye and it was much better.

You might try Canadian Club. I've had some good Manhattans with that.

My Hungarian uncle drinks these, never known anyone else to. I didn't have the balls to try one, it just sounds bad, and liquor and dairy don't mix well in quantity but I think I'll try one next time I have a cocktail.

Tim

I threw in the lemon and sugar, though I find those mix better with club soda.

Yeah, Manhattans are great, but Jim Beam rye really didn't do it for me. I recently got some Sazerac rye and it was much better.

You might try Canadian Club. I've had some good Manhattans with that.

Like I said, I do not use the Jim Beam rye.

I had also thought about CC, but my bourbon connoisseur friend in Canada recommended against it. He said Seagram's Seven Crown would be better, and I have found it to be just about perfect.

Thanks,
Tim

I threw in the lemon and sugar, though I find those mix better with club soda.

Well, like I am saying, without lemon and sugar it has nothing in common with a Collins. It is just a bourbon and ginger ale highball. There's nothing wrong with that, I enjoy them myself.

Tim

Top Bottom