What's new

It has started

I've decided to start another hobby and another forum.:tongue_sm

I've been reading about the wet shaving trend and since new heads for my Norelco cost as much as a couple DE razors I decided to try it. I ordered 2 Gillettes (40s SS and 60s adjustable slim) from Country Joe after missing a couple ebay auctions. I also ordered a Omega boar brush to start out. I'm still looking for a good cream or soap and some blades to pick up locally (DC/NoVA area).

I'll be reading up on the FAQs, but any suggestions and local shop recommendations are welcome. I am also looking for a place to buy barbicide or similar disinfectant.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B! Glad we could provide another forum/hobby for you. Plently of info here to fuel acquisition disorders for shaving supplies. Take a picture of your bathroom now and again in about 2 months to see if there is any difference. :biggrin:

There are several threads on cleaning razors that you can look through on the site. You should be able to find Barbicide at a Sally Beauty Supply Store or similar store in your area.

welcome!! I was doing the same thing, shopping for a new electric razor......(the horror!) and stumbled on to wet shaving. the best shaves are yet to come my friend!!!:biggrin: barbicide can be found at most local beauty supply stores with some possible shaving items!! just grab your yellow pages and give them a holler!! check out the shopping mall thread or if you have some drugstores in da area like CVS or RiteAid or even a Mom & Pop store for some starter creams or soaps. check the reviews on da stuff you want to try before you buy!! good times!!!!:biggrin:

Welcome! If you had time to browse our forums then your other hobbies just weren't cutting the mustard.

More like, I have too much free time stuck at a computer at work.

Thanks all for the advice. I've been reading a lot and have a few stores to hit up before my razors come.

I'm still looking for a good cream or soap and some blades to pick up locally (DC/NoVA area).

I don't know about local shops, but here's a way to start yourself out right:

Soap: Tabac! (You don't need to go any further than that...it's one of the best.)
Blades: Derby Extras (fantastic all-around blade. Sharp, but forgiving.)
Cream: Proraso (A great starting cream for any new wetshaver.)

Good luck, and welcome to the wetshaving lifestyle! :biggrin:

If you are resigned to local shops to start with.......

Bath and Body Works - C.O. Bigelow cream in the green tube (repackaged Prosaro) will set you back all of $10.00 for 5oz that will last a while.

Rite-Aid - The Real Shave Company (house brand of the same company that makes T&H). is quite in expensive as well.

If you are resigned to local shops to start with.......

Bath and Body Works - C.O. Bigelow cream in the green tube (repackaged Prosaro) will set you back all of $10.00 for 5oz that will last a while.

Rite-Aid - The Real Shave Company (house brand of the same company that makes T&H). is quite in expensive as well.

I'm stuck on local since everything else has been online, just kind of eager to get things in hand. I am in a pretty big metroplex and figured there would be more places available. I do have a tip that an Italian grocer nearby stocks Proraso (they also have the best pizza and subs).

I'm also trying to decide between cream or soap. The soap seems like more work, but also more economical and maybe even more enjoyable?

Allawd,

I too live in the DC NoVA area. The best place I've found (albeit kinda expensive) is Art of Shaving in Tyson's Corner Mall or Pentagon City. Their starter kits are pricey tho.

I bought all my starter kit for DE shaving online. The wait sucked, but now I'm hooked. I'm buying something new every week! Glad to see you're ditching the Norelco tho...I lost mine years ago and switched to the Mach III, which at least was a little better. DE shaving is by far the best tho.

Good luck and welcome to the Badger!

After work I went to Sally's for hydrocide disinfectant and got a small tube of C.O. Bigelow (rebranded Proraso) cream at the B&BS next door to it. I also got a tube of The Real Shaving Co. cream from Rite Aide.

Could not find decent blades or soap so I ordered a sampler from West Coast Shaving along with a puck of Col Conk Amber. This addiction, I mean hobby is going well.:biggrin:

2 Gillette Razors: $40
2 Shave creams $12
Aftershave $5
Hydrocide $5
Shave soap $4
35 Various blades $10
Omega boar brush w/stand $13
Rice/shave bowl $1
=$90:eek: I always do this with new hobbies:blush:

Hopefully I have enough to supplies to last me a few months now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom