What's new

Discussion thread for Burma-Shave review

Way back when (pre-DE) I used this soap every day. I really enjoyed it and preferred it highly over Williams. It was the very first product I ever put a brush to. I'll have to pick up a puck and give it another go.

I bought one cake of this soap just for the mug about ten years back (my girlfiriend at the time had thrown out my old Old Spice mug during a housecleaning frenzy, and OS had recently stopped selling both mugs and soap -- Walgreens had replaced it with Burma Shave). After using up the first cake, I never went back to it, as I liked the Williams scent better. I still use the mug, though :thumbup1:

On a side note, this isn't the "real" stuff, just a re-branding. Burma Shave's claim to fame was in being the first brushless soap -- in its heyday, it was never manufactured as a hard mug soap.

zachster said:
On a side note, this isn't the "real" stuff, just a re-branding. Burma Shave's claim to fame was in being the first brushless soap -- in its heyday, it was never manufactured as a hard mug soap.

You're absolutely right. I'll go back and edit the review to that effect, if the edit button has not dissappeared yet. You wouldn't happen to know when they first started marketing soap and brushes, would you?

zachster said:

Did not know that. So going brushless must have been a big change then for a lot of men.

zachster said:
After using up the first cake, I never went back to it, as I liked the Williams scent better.

Williams vs. Burma Shave -- For me it was Williams' eucalyptus smell that turned me off. I guess a lot of guys like that in a product, but I can't stand it. My high school had groves of eucalyptus, it seemed, and the smell was sickeningly thick. I prefer BS's mild, smooth scent.

Howard said:
You're absolutely right. I'll go back and edit the review to that effect, if the edit button has not dissappeared yet. You wouldn't happen to know when they first started marketing soap and brushes, would you?

I think it had just come out when I bought the mug 10 years ago -- it was part of a big promo display in the store. I liked the idea of reviving the name, but the soap just didn't cut it for me. At the time I was shaving with an Atra or an M-3, and had been using Old Spice soap for years. When OS was discontinued, I tried Williams, Colgate and Burma Shave -- Williams won because of the scent, but otherwise all three soaps were about the same...

jduffy said:
Did not know that. So going brushless must have been a big change then for a lot of men.

I think it probably appealed to the returning GI's who had been given brushless creams in their battlefront kits. A lot of those guys probably learned to shave on the front lines!

yeah, I tried Burma Shave a long time ago, dad gave me some, when I was visiting him and mom in Florida. To be frank, I kind of liked the soapy scent, and the lather was certainly decent, if not great. It gave me good shaves, and from what I understand, it isn't expensive, but I think I'd rather have Col. Conk Bay Rum.

Jeff

I picked up a half-dozen or so pucks at the local supermarket for .50 each on clearance. In my opinion it yields a decent lather and provides a good shave. The Burma brushes were also being cleared out so I picked up a couple for $2 apiece. The brush works well with both Burma soap and Williams.

Top Bottom