What's new

Circuit City Blowout!

I bit the bullet and bought our first LCD HDTV yesterday at Circuit City. Its a Sharp 32" that I got for only $399!!! I couldn't believe the price on it, and neither could the guys working there. The TV had just arrived the day before from their warehouse, and since there was no display model, it was being overlooked because it was in a box on the bottom shelf. No one noticed it!!

We haven't owned a TV in a couple years, and as my wife said, "You've brought the Devil into our home!!" We've got mixed feelings about it, and don't want to get sucked into the TV junkie mentality, but hell....it sure beats watching movies on a 15 inch laptop screen!!!

Thanks for the tip ... I'm in the market for my first HDTV also, and it sound like you stumbled across a killer deal.

I was trying to think of somewhere to go this afternoon, to get out of the house. Circuit City sounds like a good place to do some window-shopping.

Great purchase. The stores here in San Diego did not have anything close to that. They were some of the first to close down and it seemed like they removed all the good stuff and sent it to other locations. I did pick up some cheap speaker wire but that was it.

We haven't owned a TV in a couple years, and as my wife said, "You've brought the Devil into our home!!" We've got mixed feelings about it, and don't want to get sucked into the TV junkie mentality, but hell....it sure beats watching movies on a 15 inch laptop screen!!!

proxy.php

V

VR6ofpain

Odd, we were in there the other day for their store closing clearance. Everything was marked "down" 10%, except it was 10% off FULL RETAIL. A TV we had purchased from them back in December was actually $30 more at the "closing clearance price", then it was just a few months back on a regular sale.

You must have found an oddball deal there. I compared some prices there to Amazon.com (free shipping on TV's) and everything at Circuit City was more expensive. I think they pray on people who do not do any research. People must think all the red and yellow signs mean the prices are good...when in reality those discount prices are more than most other retailers.

With all that said, $399 for a 32" seems decent. What model Sharp is it? At that price I presume it is only a 720P and not a 1080P, correct?

Some deals here in Richmond, where the head of Circuit City WAS, are pretty good, but I think I still got a better deal on my two TV's at Sears.

I checked out the CC nearest me with my eye on LCD HDTVs of approximately the same size as yours, and wasn't at all impressed with the "deals." That one I probably would have jumped at. Nice catch!

I bit the bullet and bought our first LCD HDTV yesterday at Circuit City. Its a Sharp 32" that I got for only $399!!! I couldn't believe the price on it, and neither could the guys working there. The TV had just arrived the day before from their warehouse, and since there was no display model, it was being overlooked because it was in a box on the bottom shelf. No one noticed it!!

My Non sequitur of the day.

proxy.php

There was an article in our local paper here that said that don't expect great deals when going to a store that is going out of busines. The article said that many store raise their prices at the start of a going out of business sale in hopes of finding people that don't know what a good price for an item is. To many people think that if they see a going out of business sale, there are going to be great deals and that isn't always the case.

Odd, we were in there the other day for their store closing clearance. Everything was marked "down" 10%, except it was 10% off FULL RETAIL. A TV we had purchased from them back in December was actually $30 more at the "closing clearance price", then it was just a few months back on a regular sale.

You must have found an oddball deal there. I compared some prices there to Amazon.com (free shipping on TV's) and everything at Circuit City was more expensive. I think they pray on people who do not do any research. People must think all the red and yellow signs mean the prices are good...when in reality those discount prices are more than most other retailers.

With all that said, $399 for a 32" seems decent. What model Sharp is it? At that price I presume it is only a 720P and not a 1080P, correct?

Yeah, its a 720p model, one that has been discontinued, I believe. Its got a built-in DVD player to boot. I'm not tech-savvy by any means, but I've been window shopping for quite awhile. Most of the TVs I've seen in this category fall in around $500-600, so I felt pretty good about finding this one.
I also purchased the extended warranty, which my brother scoffed at, but I've had too many problems in the past to ever pass it up.

I checked out the CC nearest me with my eye on LCD HDTVs of approximately the same size as yours, and wasn't at all impressed with the "deals." That one I probably would have jumped at. Nice catch!

I went looking there today ... most of the TVs were 20% off, and I couldn't find a single thing that came even close to being a bargain.

CC's "close-out" sale on HDTV is still quite a bit higher than CostCo's everyday prices.

Some items were 30% off, like Monster cable ... but that's a rip-off at any price.

Lots of people were buying ... and feeling quite proud of themselves, even though they were paying a lot more than they have to. I'll stick to my original plan and wait until after I move before I invest in an HDTV. And I will probably get it from CostCo.

Same here in NJ. People were leaving the store empty handed because of the high prices.

V

VR6ofpain

I also purchased the extended warranty, which my brother scoffed at, but I've had too many problems in the past to ever pass it up.
You bought an extended warranty from a company that has folded? Interesting.

The best deal I have seen on an LCD HDTV was Target's "Black Friday" deal. They had a 26" Westinghouse HDTV (720p) for $299, back on 11/28/08. That was a sweet deal. They sold out in one day.

You bought an extended warranty from a company that has folded? Interesting.

I believe the warranties/extended warranties are covered by a separate company, not Circuity City.

+1, They put every up to full price and then took a small % off most everything. You found a great deal.

Top Bottom