What's new

Difficulty shaving XTG!

Shaving across the grain for me is, broadly speaking, across the face (i.e. East – West or vice versa). That sounds simple, but I always have two problems:

1. I find it straightforward to shave from my ear to my nose on either side, but very difficult to shave from my nose to my ear (even on my cheeks)! I have no idea why, but for some reason the razor just doesn’t feel comfortable that way. Does anybody else have that problem? Any suggestions?

2. I also have difficultly shaving XTG (East-West) above and below my lips. I think the problem above my lips is that the width of the area to be shaved is less than the width of my razor (Merkur Progress). The problem below my lips is that there are basically two areas with very different profiles – my chin and the area above my chin. Consequently, I end up with the same problem as above my lips, i.e. areas smaller than may razor. Even if I try and adjust the profile of the areas by contorting my face or using my tongue all that happens is that the areas become convex and even more difficult to shave! Can anyone help??

Thanks very much gents.

I'm trying to understand your post. If you are shaving XTG when you shave ear-nose, you should also be shaving XTG if you go nose-ear right? ie either way is shaving XTG. If thats the case, can you not get a good shave just going the comfortable route? (ie just ear-nose?) Have you tried WTG and then just ear-nose and after these passes your shave still isnt DFS?

I dont have your specific facial features, but I know my face doesnt like certain angles/directions either. Shaving WTG, XTG or ATG...certain angles are bound to cause me blood...so I tried to find another workaround if possible.

WRT the lip area...do you need to go east-west or are you just trying new things out? In other words...I take it you cant get a good shave just going north-south and then reverse in those areas?

After studying Mantic's videos, I think the only time he went east-west around the lips was in method shaving.

Somebody else chime in if I'm mistaken.

Well nearly ...

If I shave nose to ear it is XTG but with a slight WTG bias. If I shave ear to nose it is XTG but with a slight XTG bias. That's why ideally I would like to do nose to ear first. At the moment, I do as you suggest and just do WTG and then ear to nose. It's the best compromise for the timebeing.

WRT the lip area, again, I would prefer to go WTG + XTG rather than WTG + ATG as you suggest. However, again you are right, better to go ATG probably than risk slicing the lip / chin with a XTG pass.

You could try going ATG in little bits over the course of several weeks to see if your skin will take it, everyone is different. I know mine probably wouldnt, but who knows? If you're willing to tough it out go for it! I'd have my alum bar or styptic handy :)

Top Bottom