What's new

hygrometer question.

I recently bought a humidor with hygrometer on ebay. I wetted the humidification filter/sponge and lightly wet the sides, top and bottom of the humidor with distilled water and filled my tube of drymistat tube. I did this for 2 days and noticed the hygrometer was staying around 60. (its not adjustable).

I did a salt test and it still Will not go above 60. should I just keep this in mind when I sock my humidor or would this hygrometer be considered broken?

OR should I just order a digital and see if I can get any sort of a refund from the ebay seller?

Just order a digital.

Analogues, especially if outside the humidor (like going from inside to out), are notoriously inaccurate and just plain wonky. I think they're thrown in as basically freebies in most humidors.

On the other hand, I have yet to get a digital hygrometer for my humidors. I use the Heartfelt beads, and everything seems to be going fine. But these are relatively small humidors, where a regular tube of Heartfelts is a bit of overkill. When I get my large humidor finished I'll definitely be getting a few digital stick on hygrometers so I can make sure it holds even humidity.

Definately get a digital. In fact, get an adjustable digital. You do the salt test on it, adjust up or down, set, then you are good to go. The digital should set you back about 20bux. Well worth it. If the analog is in fact outside of the humidor, its okay, it can be decoration. Cut out a pic of your sweetheart, stick it behind the glass of the analog and you are good to go. If the analog is mounted inside your humidor (usually on the lid), take that bugger out and throw it in the trash.

DL

Any thoughts on lowering RH? I've been fighting this for a while. I’ve tried a couple different things. I’ve left the humidor open for a couple hr taken out the drymistat tube let the humidor sit over night and I am still sitting around 70. Next I left it open for a couple hr’s then took out the humidifier and am having a RH of 70+. Would getting a Boveda packet help lower the RH? It’s advertised as a 65% humidity pack.

Also I have more sticks on the way. :)

Any thoughts on lowering RH? I've been fighting this for a while. I’ve tried a couple different things. I’ve left the humidor open for a couple hr taken out the drymistat tube let the humidor sit over night and I am still sitting around 70. Next I left it open for a couple hr’s then took out the humidifier and am having a RH of 70+. Would getting a Boveda packet help lower the RH? It’s advertised as a 65% humidity pack.

Also I have more sticks on the way. :)

Get the beads that Dustin said. I have used heartfelt and they were great!

Get the beads that Dustin said. I have used heartfelt and they were great!

I just placed an order for the 65% beads. A little pricey (for me :001_rolle) but hopefully they will help bring my RH down.

Thanks for all the imput.

Ive had the same humidor for about 12 years, it doesnt have a Hygrometer, its insides are lined in cedar and has two large humidifer blocks inside of plexiglass, it works very well and the Gars all seem happy,
where i live in South Eastern Pennsylvania i really need it in the winters but the summer is not so critical. anyway the humidiy should be between 60-70%
trying to micromanage the humidity to exact peramerters is not necesary,
just smoke em and enjoy them,
Grottolord

Top Bottom