What's new

OK, folks. Here goes...

This is my first post; I've been looking through the threads, watching the videos (thanks, Mantic), and following the links. I wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to the newbie forum as you've given me motivation to start shaving with a DE. I've been a user of fine shaving soaps and badger brushes (mostly DR Harris and Trumpers) for the last 10 years, but I've been a Mach 3 guy for so long I can't remember. My wife got me started on the soaps when she worked for an importer (now out of business). I loved it at first because it reminded me of my grandfather. Now I love it for me too!

Anyway, I remember when I first started shaving the DE experience was terrible. No one really showed me how to use it, so I just gave up.

I have a Merkur HD and Derby blades on their way to me via mail order. I'm in good shape in the prep department (and glad to learn from watching Mantic's videos that I've been doing it right) but haven't touched a DE in about 25 years.

I can't wait to get started and I'm just concerned that my expectations will be so high that when I screw up I'll give up.

I have a thick beard that grows quickly - using a Mach 3 I could easily shave twice a day. I also have a fairly high-maintenance mustache/goatee so I'll probably keep the Mach 3 handy for all the trim work for now.

Any last words of advice? Thanks - Paul.

Welcome to B&B, great to have you here :001_smile

sounds like you are all set, cant go wrong with Dr. Harris soap. Enjoy

www.westcoastshaving.com

Get a sampler pack. Since you already've been using the creams and brushes, you won't have that upfront cost. Derby's may be the best blade for you, they may not be. So, it's good to have some variety. In addition to the bigger of the sampler packs, I'd suggest getting a pack of the 7 O'Clock Yellows, which I like. They ship out very quickly. From the day my order shipped, I got it in 2 days (I'm on the east coast).

Welcome to the forum! :biggrin:

Would the economy pack and the 7 O'Clocks be enough of a variety? - Thanks!

At the minimum, I'd say the Choice sampler. You can ditch the 7 O'Clocks if you need to. They are like a feather (which is in the choice and up samplers), but just a little less sharp.

I have a Merkur HD and Derby blades on their way to me via mail order.

I have a thick beard that grows quickly - using a Mach 3 I could easily shave twice a day. I also have a fairly high-maintenance mustache/goatee so I'll probably keep the Mach 3 handy for all the trim work for now.

Would the economy pack and the 7 O'Clocks be enough of a variety? - Thanks!

I am not so sure. Based on what you have described looks like you might want the next step up , the sample pack, which comes with some sharper blades. Sounds like you might be a good candidate for a feather which comes in the sample pack but not the economy. There is a good assortment in the sample pack if you dont mind spending a little extra but is so worth it when you are trying to find "the" blade that will suit your face.

Guys what do you think?

Paul, It looks like you have the right gear. IMHO, just take it easy. Welcome to the forum.

Hi Paul,

There's few things I'd mention about starting out with a DE that might help in some way. You're already way ahead of the game, having used a brush and soaps for many years. You know what the lather should be like, which is more than most of us did at the beginning.

The thing to keep in mind would be that possibly a bit of extra prep might be needed. Something like a minute or two of hot towels should do the trick, although some members use pre shave oils and stuff like that. Whatever prep is used IS important to achieving a comfortable DE shave.

The Derby blades are fine to start with, and are a favorite of lots of members. Doesn't really matter what your first blade is anyway, since you won't know if it's a good one for you or not. I mean there will be a new skill to learn, and you won't know how a blade is supposed to feel...good one or bad. Finding the right blade all about building up a reference point, and that means you gotta try more than 2-3 types.

The main thing is to stay with whatever blade you decide on for a few weeks. You'll be learning your technique, and the shaves should be more comfortable after that period. You want to use only one blade, so that you will know what the NEXT blade tried feels like in comparison to that first. That make sense to you?

Hehe, it really is true that blades are a very personal thing, and after a while that fact becomes very clear. Who woulda thunk it!

In any case, I hope this helps in some way,
Martin

The main thing is to stay with whatever blade you decide on for a few weeks. You'll be learning your technique, and the shaves should be more comfortable after that period. You want to use only one blade, so that you will know what the NEXT blade tried feels like in comparison to that first. That make sense to you?

Makes total sense. Thanks to all for the insight! I'm going to get an up-sized sampler and take it from there.

This is my first post; I've been looking through the threads, watching the videos (thanks, Mantic), and following the links. I wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to the newbie forum as you've given me motivation to start shaving with a DE. I've been a user of fine shaving soaps and badger brushes (mostly DR Harris and Trumpers) for the last 10 years, but I've been a Mach 3 guy for so long I can't remember. My wife got me started on the soaps when she worked for an importer (now out of business). I loved it at first because it reminded me of my grandfather. Now I love it for me too!

Anyway, I remember when I first started shaving the DE experience was terrible. No one really showed me how to use it, so I just gave up.

I have a Merkur HD and Derby blades on their way to me via mail order. I'm in good shape in the prep department (and glad to learn from watching Mantic's videos that I've been doing it right) but haven't touched a DE in about 25 years.

I can't wait to get started and I'm just concerned that my expectations will be so high that when I screw up I'll give up.

Well I have to say that I have really enjoyed my first few DE shaves! Having been a good "latherer" for many years, and usually investing the right time in prep; the challenge really is technique.

I found that I can't follow the advice of many a post and many a video instructing to shave two passes "down" the face for the first few weeks. It doesn't even look like I shaved (See comments about my beard above).

For my second shave; I shaved one pass WTG; re-lather to shave some areas ATG; then other areas XTG. All in all; I'm making two passes first WTG then ATG or XTG passes based on my beard's growth patterns.

I've been careful not to rush my shaves and things have gone very well. I expect as I get better I'll be making even three passes and getting to BBS.

I also expect to perhaps get better results even WTG with different blades (right?). I've got a sampler pack on the way, but have been using Derbys for these shaves.

Any thoughts? I didn't want to rush things, but shaving WTG only didn't look presentable at all.

Thanks - Paul

Top Bottom