What's new

First coupla shaves

Well, I survived the weekend relatively unscathed after embarking on my str8 adventure

My hands were defintely shaking. It is a quite different experience from using a DE. Getting the razor into the right positions is non-obvious, even after watching Lynn's video and perusing Chris Moss' book. I have been switching hands, which I am extremely uncomfortable with. My left hand is just about useless, and having it hold a sharp implenent against my throat is not the safest thing. I understand some folks use one hand only, so I will have to think about doing that instead.

I left an awful amount of stubble after these two shaves, preferring that to hurting myself. I can see it would take weeks to really develop the skills to master this thing and get a close shave. Given that I can't really go to work stubbly (and nicked up), I think I am going to phase in my use of the str8. I think I will use it on my N-S pass for a week, doing the other two passes with a DE, then move up to N-S and across-grain with the str8, etc. This way I can build some muscle memory over time.

I am still not sure this is for me long-term, but I am proud of myself so far, and we'll see how things progress over time. Thanks to everyone here for providing help and support.

Laz, any way you can describe your one-handed shaving techniques??

Thanks!

Scotto,

Congratulations! Like, you, I am still taking it very slow. The only days I use a straight are the days I don't have to be in the office on the early shift. After my first two shaves, I gave up on my left hand. The only advice I can give you there is to relax, and take it nice and slow. Tomorrow I plan to throw Pacific Shave Oil into the mix. I think that will make a huge difference. Also, if it feels as though the razor is pulling, stop and strop.

Keep working at it. Once you can relax about the blade, I think you'll find that using a straight is actually an incredible relaxing experience.

Randy

Thanks Randy. It is difficult when you don't have an experience base to work from. I got a shave-ready razor from Laz, but I am somewhat surprised how much work it takes to remove my beard. I have VERY thick whiskers, and you do have to apply some pressure with the blade to shear them. I guess I was erroneously imagining the whiskers flying off my face with little effort relative to a DE. My chin, in particular, is very problematic. The beard is so tough and dense there, that no matter what I do it feels like the blade is getting caught. It is a miracle I am not one huge nick, but so far the damage has been minor. I am going to stick with it, though.

My chin, in particular, is very problematic. The beard is so tough and dense there, that no matter what I do it feels like the blade is getting caught. It is a miracle I am not one huge nick, but so far the damage has been minor. I am going to stick with it, though.

One of the things I had to learn was to make long strokes, so as not to interrupt the flow of the razor. Unlike using a DE, short one-inch strokes seem to invite bloodflow. Hang in, you'll get it. Also, sounds like you may need a bit more time on the strop with the razor. Let the other, more experienced guys chime in...I'm also still in the learning stages.

Randy

Nice job Scotto!!! :w00t: I agree, the hardest part of learning how to use a str8 is figuring out what hand to use and where.

I opted to use both hands. Like you, initially using my left hand wasn't the most mentally comforting thought. I think it took about a week to get comfortable using it. Now it's second nature and I would have a hard time not using my left hand.

I don't want to add to the confusion, but here's my routine. I think you're going to find that you take bits and pieces from different individual shaving routines to create your own.

1. N-S Right side of face sideburn to jawbone with right hand.
2. Repeat step one on left side of face with left hand.
3. N-S right side, jawbone to base of neck with right hand.
4. Repeat step 3 on left side of face with left hand.

5. Lather

6. Left side ear to mouth using right hand.
7. Repeat step 6 on right side of face with left hand.

8. Lather

8. S-N left side jaw bone to side burn using right hand.
9. Repeat step 8 on right side of face with right hand.
10. S-N left side base of neck to jawbone with right hand.
11. Repeat step 10 on right side of face with right hand.

12. Lather

13. Ear to chin on jaw bone using opposite hand and heal of blade.

14. Lather

15. Ear to chin below jaw bone using same side hand and toe of blade.
16. Touch up using water or shaving stick.

I hope that str8 shaving will agree with you, but If you decide that it isn't for you, you're correct - you should be proud for trying it. You've performed a ritual that men have been doing for centuries!

Scotto said:
Thanks Randy. It is difficult when you don't have an experience base to work from. I got a shave-ready razor from Laz, but I am somewhat surprised how much work it takes to remove my beard. I have VERY thick whiskers, and you do have to apply some pressure with the blade to shear them. I guess I was erroneously imagining the whiskers flying off my face with little effort relative to a DE. My chin, in particular, is very problematic. The beard is so tough and dense there, that no matter what I do it feels like the blade is getting caught. It is a miracle I am not one huge nick, but so far the damage has been minor. I am going to stick with it, though.

I don't know what size razor you're using (I'm guessing a 5/8), but from your description of your beard, you're a classic candidate for a 6/8 or 7/8 razor. The 5/8 is a perfect razor to start out with since it's more maneuverable. I have a very thick, coarse beard and primarily use 7/8 razors. Even with the additional mass, I still need to strop throughout my shave.

Congrats Scotto,

Its not easy. Describing the one handed technique is very difficult. You'll get lots of frustrations and successes. I find that the best technique to learn is to shave with a DE first then practice with your straight, far less drag and you'll learn the best moves etc...after atleast a week you can do the opposite and shave with a straight and then follow with a DE. At some point you have to take the DE out of the bathroom and refuse to use it to complete the training, but given the long lead time on honing, stropping etc you gotta a ways before that.

You can do almost anything you want with the razor as long as you move it in the right direction once its there and do not move it sideways EVER, even away from your face as you approach your face do not move the blade sideways.

Its an important rule and yet one of the very few you really need to follow.

AFDavis11 said:
You can do almost anything you want with the razor as long as you move it in the right direction once its there and do not move it sideways EVER, even away from your face as you approach your face do not move the blade sideways.

Its an important rule and yet one of the very few you really need to follow.

Very good and true advice.

Scotto said:
Laz, any way you can describe your one-handed shaving techniques??

Thanks!

I hold the razor with one hand. :001_tt2:

Okay, okay.... I use my rh to hold the razor. I stretch my skin with my left. I change the position of the blade in my hand frequently, to adjust to different parts of my face. I turn the razor "backwards" from the normal "pinky on the monkeytail" grip, sometimes hold it with the handle at 180 degrees instead of the normal 270 degree opening, etc.

Scotto, a few things, to make sure you are getting everything right:

Prep, are you soaking your whiskers for at least 4 minutes, using warm to hot water and soap?

Stropping, you can ruin a razors edge by improper stropping. Make sure you don't roll the blade the wrong way. and hit the edge on the strop. Hold the razor flat on the strop, just like honing.

You are stretching your skin as much as you can, right?

Try shaving just the "easy" parts, until you feel more comfortable doing the rest of your face. By easy, I mean right under your sideburns. That's the flattest part of your face. Stretch your sideburns "up", and hold the spine up off your face about 1-2 widths. Do a south pass, slowly and smoothly. See what the results are.

Keep us informed.

Prep, are you soaking your whiskers for at least 4 minutes, using warm to hot water and soap?
I only shave after showering, so I should be good there.

Stropping, you can ruin a razors edge by improper stropping. Make sure you don't roll the blade the wrong way. and hit the edge on the strop. Hold the razor flat on the strop, just like honing.
I think my technique here has been improving, and it is feeling more natural. I spent some extra time at the strop last night, and I think I noticed an improvement in the shave this morning. As an aside - is there any difference between stropping the night before versus right before the shave? I can't imagine there is.

Try shaving just the "easy" parts, until you feel more comfortable doing the rest of your face. By easy, I mean right under your sideburns. That's the flattest part of your face. Stretch your sideburns "up", and hold the spine up off your face about 1-2 widths. Do a south pass, slowly and smoothly. See what the results are.
What I am doing is this: this week I am doing the N-S pass with the str8, then the remaining two passes with my DE. Next week I am going to do the first two passes with the str8 and the last with my DE, etc. THis way I have time to work on technique without sacrificing my face during the work week.

Thanks for all the advice, and I'll keep ya'll posted.

I only shave after showering, so I should be good there.

I think my technique here has been improving, and it is feeling more natural. I spent some extra time at the strop last night, and I think I noticed an improvement in the shave this morning. As an aside - is there any difference between stropping the night before versus right before the shave? I can't imagine there is.

What I am doing is this: this week I am doing the N-S pass with the str8, then the remaining two passes with my DE. Next week I am going to do the first two passes with the str8 and the last with my DE, etc. THis way I have time to work on technique without sacrificing my face during the work week.

Thanks for all the advice, and I'll keep ya'll posted.

Hi Scotto -
Welcome to the ranks of str8 shavers! I am relatively new also but have found one piece of advise particularly useful (and maybe you already do this). After I lay on the first application of lather, I put a hot towel on for a minute or two. This seems to make a difference in my shaves. Maybe it is all in my head but my shaves seem to go much smoother using this additional prep phase even after a shower.

Steve

Top Bottom