What's new

Shave oil question

Hi all,

I'm thinking of trying a pre-shave oil, and I'm wondering if I need to be at all concerned about its effect on my brush. I apply the oil, and then apply my first round of shaving cream on top of it, right? Does this have the effect of gumming up my shaving brush over time?

Any advice or information on how to pull this off without endangering my shaving brush would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Michael

It certainly cannot be good for the brush, but I cannot say about damaging it. I would not use it.

I also don't use preshave oil at all as it is not good for your skin - it just clogs up your pores so your skin cannot breath and it also causes zits.

Last edited:
I've used various PSOs many times, although mostly I have used Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a PSO. I notice no problem whatsoever with my brush

Keep in mind your skin contains oils, so using a PSO is not necessarily going to have an adverse effect on your brush. That said, all things in moderation.

all things in moderation.

You really don't need to use too much of the stuff. I'll rub maybe 4 drops of pso on my palms and wipe my beard area with that, then work up the lather. Your loaded brush will be full of surfactanty goodness, I wouldn't worry about the pso. I like Origins Easy Slider. Olive oil sounds a bit too viscous to me, and I don't want to smell like an italian restaurant. But to each his own. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I use Extra Virgin Olive oil as a pre shave and there is no effect on my brush at all. I've been doing this for six months. Brushes are pretty sturdy (most of them anyway).

Enjoy!

I read a thread about using oil on your face to prevent zits. These guys were professing that the oil cleaned their pours like cold cream cleans off make-up. I read that the usual pre-shave oil was made up of a mixture of castor oil and eevo (extra-virgin olive oil). The ratio varies among users, but it would be generally accepted to make a 50/50 mix co/eevo. Some add a fragrance. The guy on you-tube(mantic59) uses Cornhuskers as a cheap face-food. I haven't used a lot of pre-shave oil because it leaves a ring around the basin. I usually use pre-shave oil when I have more than one day's growth. So far, my SR 3116 silver badger brush is OK. Yesterday, when I shaved with my cutthroat instead of my HD Slant, the oil seemed to make the razor grip and not slide as well as it does without pre-shave oil. I'm leaving out the oil the next time I shave with the disposable straight razor. So far, the only oil that I have used is unscented Art Of Shaving brand which seems to have a scent to it anyway.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on the EVOO. Use in moderation. Save yourself a bundle compared to the packaged preparations that are mostly olive oil.

+1 also.

Shaving oil is not for everyone. It might do a difference or not. Some morning I use it and sometimes I don't. I think it works well and do not get pimples with it or razor bumps. Cheers, Luc

I use Castle Forbes pre-shave. It is not an oil per se and it is water soluble. I can't honestly say that it makes a difference since I was not a wet shaver before joining B&B and have never shaved without using it. I realize now that, for me, the learning process wil continue. This is now as much a hobby as it is a grooming regimen. It is very pricey stuff, but a little goes a very long way. If one of your concerns is the "gunk" factor, this may be worth a look for you. It has been reviewed favorably here, which is what led me to try it.
I will add the ubiquitous YMMV to my opinion.

Top Bottom