What's new

P-4 Franken-Speed?

Alright guys, throw me a bone here. I'm the first to say my Gillette history knowledge isn't top notch, but I'm not getting the slightest bit of info on this one.
proxy.php

Found it today. It needs to be cleaned better and, wouldn't you know it, my camera batteries died right after this pic, but yes top and bottom are gold. The handle is silver in color.

Besides the color thing, the knurling on the handle looks strange. Does the "gold" really look like gold plating? The TTO knob, especially, looks kind of coppery in the picture.

I've never seen anything like that.

Regards,
Tom

The color is definitely gold color, but the inside of the knob does have some green corrosion.
Yes the knurling is not quite "normal". That could also be in part that it hasn't been cleaned very good yet, and it's been worn down quite a bit.

A quick comparison to some of my other SSs shows that the handle knurling pattern is very close to the pattern on my plastic handle Y-4 SS. Any chance that under the plastic is the same pattern? Would that help explain the gold color?

That is a black handled 70's style Super Speed. It appears that the nickel top and knob and handle are discolored.

The handle has no plastic on it. Is my guess correct that under the plastic, the metal got the same pattern?
Also, does anyone have a clue what would cause such even and exact discoloration of just the head and knob? I'm sure it can be done, but I'm a bit boggled.

The handle has no plastic on it. Is my guess correct that under the plastic, the metal got the same pattern?
Also, does anyone have a clue what would cause such even and exact discoloration of just the head and knob? I'm sure it can be done, but I'm a bit boggled.

The coating on the handle is plastic resin. It fits the underlying metal surface design. What if the razor had been exposed to some very harsh materiail that not only destroyed the resin coating of the handle, but also stripped the nickel plating of the head and knob? That would explain the brass (gold) finishes.

I'll buy that. My over-stressed mind never thought of the harsh bath theory. Thanks for the input.:thumbup1:
So it's also safe to assume that the head and knob were made from different material than the rest of the handle, so no discoloration on the handle? This little razor is teaching me a lot.

Not that I would encourage deception, but you could list that on ebay, call it a rare variant, and unload it really quick, then use the cash to buy something else. :biggrin:

Claim ignorance on it's particulars, and that you went back to mach3 shaving.:lol:

Or, take the opportunity to customize it with colors of your choice, and enjoy it.

Not that I would encourage deception, but you could list that on ebay, call it a rare variant, and unload it really quick, then use the cash to buy something else. :biggrin:

Claim ignorance on it's particulars, and that you went back to mach3 shaving.:lol:

Or, take the opportunity to customize it with colors of your choice, and enjoy it.

I'm sticking to the story that this is a one of a kind razor personally owned by James Bond himself. It fell out of his pocket while he was being dangled over a vat of boiling acid.:cool:
Deception on E-Bay is one thing, but to claim that I went back to a Mach-3, you owe me an appologie:lol:

Top Bottom