What's new

My First Brush Restoration

When I first joined B&B I posted pictures of some old brushes I got for Christmas (Post was titled "Shaving Brush Mystery") Looks like all I had was some old boar brushes.

In order to beat the Wisconsin winter blues I attempted to restore three of those old brushes. So I purchased three silvertip knots from Tony at The Golden Nib.

I started by trimming back the old boar bristle, and then I used the Dremel to drill out the old epoxy. That was the hardest part of this project since the handles are hollow and drilling too deep will leave an empty hole (which happened to one of them). To keep from marking the handle I masked it in blue painter's tape, however, on the one with the blue handle you can see I got careless and goofed a little:eek:

After getting the epoxy out I used a caliper to measure the diameter of the opening. I was able to fit two 22mm knots and one 20mm knot. I ordered those on Sunday and they arrived today.

Tonight I polished the handles using Flitz and cleaned up the knot opening to ensure a close and stable fit. I mixed the marine epoxy and set the knots in the openings. I have attached some before and after pics!!

Thanks to everyone who has posted information on this topic because it is keeping me busy on cold winter nights!

Wow, awesome job. I've always wanted to find an old brush and restore it, but have never really gotten around to it

Wow, awesome job. I've always wanted to find an old brush and restore it, but have never really gotten around to it

Thanks! I will post some more pictures once I lather with them tonight. I am interested to see how much they bloom!

nice work!!!! what type of tip did you use on the dremel to take out the old hair? and would any type of epoxy work or must it be marine grade? thanks!! been thinking about going this way for a first badger hair brush.:biggrin:

nice work!!!! what type of tip did you use on the dremel to take out the old hair? and would any type of epoxy work or must it be marine grade? thanks!! been thinking about going this way for a first badger hair brush.:biggrin:

I used 3 different tips: The first was the one that has a cutting ball on the end (it kind of looks like a pin head with cutting ridges). It does a good job of getting into the epoxy and cleaning out the old hair. The 2nd tip was a larger cutting tool that has cutting surfaces on both the sides and the bottom. I used it to establish a smooth (as possible) base...NOTE: It is very easy to use that tip and drill right into the hollow part of the handle, so be careful. The third tip was just a sanding drum I used to smooth out the edges.

As for the epoxy, it is suggested in other posts that marine is the best since it is waterproof. I would stick with that. I picked up a tube at ACE Hardware for 5 bucks (they are also the only place I found that sells Flitz too). It is a two part epoxy so I mixed up a little and applied it to the handle and the base of the knot.

Good luck with your restoration!!

Nice work. I've got two old EverReady's on the way. Eventually they are going to get the restoration treatment.

Again, great work!

Very nice work. How do the lather up?

They lather really well and they bloomed better than I thought. It is interesting that the knot in the red handle is the smallest in diameter, but bloomed just as big as the other two 22mm knots.

The Red one is an old Ever Ready, the White one is a Mohawk, and the Blue one is a House of Fuller

Also attached is a picture of the dremel tools I used.

thanks Big Sluggo for the info. and pics of da dremel tools!!!! might give it ago!!! will post any projects here!!!!

Living and learning! Nice job on the brushes...have you used one yet?

I used the Mohawk this morning and it lathered really nicely. It was interesting though because the knot is so dense it actually pushed back on my face. My other AOS shaving brush (which I love) becomes less rigid as I use it. The knots from The Golden Nib seem to strike a nice balance between firm and soft.

Also attached is a picture of the dremel tools I used.
Funny, I used the exact same ones, except the bigger carving bit. I could not find one larger than the one pictured at the bottom - it would have definitely saved time. Those tools are absolutely perfect for removing the knot.

Great job Sluggo.
I did a reno on an old Vulfix Mayfair (because I liked the handle) using a 20mm silvertip knot from Tony at Golden Nib.
Can't speak highly enough of the knot and it bloomed just like yours - it's my go to brush now and it lathers up a storm.:w00t:

I've accumulated a few handles as well as the same Dremel burrs thinking I'd do that, too, but I haven't yet. I've got to now because those look so good!!

How do you actually glue the knots in without getting epoxy all over the bristles?

I've accumulated a few handles as well as the same Dremel burrs thinking I'd do that, too, but I haven't yet. I've got to now because those look so good!!

How do you actually glue the knots in without getting epoxy all over the bristles?

The knots come pre-glued with an epoxy base. I just tried to get the base of the handle as flat as possible, and then gave both the knot and the handle a gentle rough sand. The rough sanding gives something for the epoxy to grab on to. Just mix the epoxy on a piece of cardboard and apply some to both the handle and the knot (I applied it to only the bottom of the knot and not the sides since I did not want to get any on the fur). Then set the knot in the handle and give it a little twist. This will ensure the epxoy is spread evenly and is level.

Very cool! I have the same EverReady and would love to do the same, you used a 20mm knot?
Yes, I used a cheap digital caliper from Harbor Freight Tools and 20mm was the closest knot to the opening. Just be careful with the Dremel, it is easy to drill right into the hollow base.

Top Bottom