What's new

I So Wanna Get Some TGQ Soap...

but I can't pull the trigger. I have so much stuff that I've only used once that it'll take me forever to get through everything. But, I am very much intrigued by the scent descriptions of Cavendish Black, Desert Ironwood, Highlander, and Leatherneck that I have to at least try those before I die. The sample sizes say that you get about a month worth of shaving. Well, I only shave 3 times a week max so 1 puck should last me over two months, correct? I assume when they say 1 month of shaving that it's for those gents that shave everyday. That means if I get 4 and only use these until they run out, that is over 8 months worth of shaving for only ~$16 worth of product. What do you think? Should I forget about the economy for a bit and feed my SSAD a bit more or are there better products out there? Still have yet to get a MB or HB soap but there's something about TGQ soap that is calling me.

Getting more stuff than you need is a hobby, and there is nothing wrong with having a hobby. :wink:

If you want to recover some of your losses you can always sell some of the stuff you don't see yourself using much to pay for something you want to try. That's how I get away with calling myself a minimalist. :biggrin:

I highly recommend Desert Ironwood by the way; it's my favorite. It's a pretty strong scent though, just so you know.

but I can't pull the trigger. I have so much stuff that I've only used once that it'll take me forever to get through everything. But, I am very much intrigued by the scent descriptions of Cavendish Black, Desert Ironwood, Highlander, and Leatherneck that I have to at least try those before I die. The sample sizes say that you get about a month worth of shaving. Well, I only shave 3 times a week max so 1 puck should last me over two months, correct? I assume when they say 1 month of shaving that it's for those gents that shave everyday. That means if I get 4 and only use these until they run out, that is over 8 months worth of shaving for only ~$16 worth of product. What do you think? Should I forget about the economy for a bit and feed my SSAD a bit more or are there better products out there? Still have yet to get a MB or HB soap but there's something about TGQ soap that is calling me.

IMHO, TGQ's soaps are better than both MB & HB soaps. However, HB is a close 2nd.

Colleen makes wonderful soaps. It's up to you, however, what to do "...about the economy." Speaking purely for myself I probably have enough soaps to last the rest of my life & well into my 2 sons' lives (hopefully they'll be happily using tallow-based Penhaligon's soaps over the next decade or so) but that's obviously a personal choice.

Of the 3 TGQ soaps you mention, I only have Desert Ironwood. But man, that stuff smells, and shaves, great. I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying them, esp. since her prices are going up next month. :eek: If you're gonna place an order, may as well get it in now!

Getting more stuff than you need is a hobby, and there is nothing wrong with having a hobby. :wink:

If you want to recover some of your losses you can always sell some of the stuff you don't see yourself using much to pay for something you want to try. That's how I get away with calling myself a minimalist. :biggrin:

I highly recommend Desert Ironwood by the way; it's my favorite. It's a pretty strong scent though, just so you know.

I suppose you are right but I enjoy having a lot of stuff around in case I ever decide to give them another shot. I'm glad to hear it's pretty strong scent because I like the scent to smell up my bathroom when I get done. :biggrin:

I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying them, esp. since her prices are going up next month. :eek: If you're gonna place an order, may as well get it in now!
Thanks for the heads up! I was reading some old articles from a year or two ago and I guess Colleen bumped up the prices by 50% which means they must have been a steal before. Looks like I need to jump on board and horde some before the price increase.

I suppose you are right but I enjoy having a lot of stuff around in case I ever decide to give them another shot. I'm glad to hear it's pretty strong scent because I like the scent to smell up my bathroom when I get done. :biggrin:

The scent will linger for a long time. In a good way. :biggrin:

TGQ soaps are wonderful. In addition to the Ironwood that I have and love, sandalwood and Bay Rum w/ sweet orange are highly recommended.

TGQ sandalwood is light but spectacular, the bay rum is knock your socks off good once you get it lathered. (It'll smell up the whole bathroom too).

11 bucks for a full sized puck? You're still getting the better end of the bargain.

I just ordered a puck of the Desert Ironwood soap along with a wooden bowl.. Can't wait to give it a try!!

Thanks for the heads up! I was reading some old articles from a year or two ago and I guess Colleen bumped up the prices by 50% which means they must have been a steal before. Looks like I need to jump on board and horde some before the price increase.

You won't regret getting Colleen's soap, they not only shave well but they seem to have some pull on the opposite sex. I get the 3oz and put them in Anchor containers and have them ready to use whenever I feel like it. You don't neet to wait to finish one soap before staring another one.
Variety is the spice of life

I think Colleen's soaps are among the best out there and one of the few glycerine soaps that I think rival the good hard soaps.

I melted a couple of the trial pucks into an empty shave stick and think it rocks!

Just curious.

Have any of you guys even used the soaps from TSD to compare them to TGQ?

I've looked into it but just based on the descriptions of the shaving soaps, TGQ soaps seem to be superior to TSD soaps.

TGQ Soap:
“The Gentlemen’s Quarter” shaving soaps are made from the finest quality base on the market today and are unique in that they are soap, not just a glycerin base filled with detergents. Our shaving soap is 100 % natural with added Kosher glycerin from a vegetable source. We add no synthetic detergents, chelators, foaming enhancers or artificial colors to our base. What we do add is a Custom blend of rich creamy goat’s milk, moisturizing Shea butter and skin soothing Aloe Vera along with our own special blend of the finest ground Kaolin, Bentonite and Rhassoul clays to provide superior slip and glide without drying your skin.

TSD Soaps:
Ingredients
Glycerin, Aqua, Olive Oil, Bentonite Clay,
Sodium Borate, Sweet Almond Oil, Sodium Palmate,
Sorbitol, Sodium Cocoate, Palm Acid, Coconut Acid,
Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate,
and fragrance (except Sensitive)

I have tried both the TGQ and TSD soaps. The TGQ soaps did not have as good as cushion as the TSD. They also seem to dry out quicker. I wouldn't go as far as being rude and saying one is inferior but for me the TSD soaps works better. I also don't know what fragrance has to do with making a soap not perform well unless you have sensitivity issues..

BTW I am a legitamte member here and at TSD so this isn't a shill for TSD. I give my honest opinions and I don't sugar coat.

Try the TGQ soaps, you won't know if they work well until you do.

I have tried both the TGQ and TSD soaps. The TGQ soaps did not have as good as cushion as the TSD. They also seem to dry out quicker. I wouldn't go as far as being rude and saying one is inferior but for me the TSD soaps works better. I also don't know what fragrance has to do with making a soap not perform well unless you have sensitivity issues..

BTW I am a legitamte member here and at TSD so this isn't a shill for TSD. I give my honest opinions and I don't sugar coat.

Try the TGQ soaps, you won't know if they work well until you do.

I don't sugar coat either. I tried TSD soaps over a year ago and found the fragrance too strong. I find the same problem with some of mama bears soaps. They do not add to the shave experience but rather detract from it. This is my personal opinion. If you like the soap, more power to you. Nothing wrong with it.

I may give her soaps another try because at the time I tried them, I think she was just coming on-line. Most soap makers take some time to perfect their product.

I have some of TSD's Lime soap and it was nothing spectacular.. Scent was nice but the quality of the lather was lacking..

I don't sugar coat either. I tried TSD soaps over a year ago and found the fragrance too strong. I find the same problem with some of mama bears soaps. They do not add to the shave experience but rather detract from it. This is my personal opinion. If you like the soap, more power to you. Nothing wrong with it.

I may give her soaps another try because at the time I tried them, I think she was just coming on-line. Most soap makers take some time to perfect their product.

I need to add that I mainly use triple milled soaps. I find them superior to glycerine soaps. Nevertheless, there are some very nice glycerine soaps being made by small soapmakers.

TGQ has some excellent choices, my favorites are Leatherneck and Desert Ironwood. Great products and customer service, thanks Colleen.

Top Bottom