What's new

Discussion thread for Florida Water review

Howard
Very well done review- I like all the addendum!

Nothing like this on a hot day and for the price it a winner!

I picked up some Florida Water at Walgreens the other day and have been pleasantly surprised. As with the Pinaud line, the plastic bottle and low price can be deceiving, holding a much better quality cologne than you'd expect. I splashed this on as an aftershave yesterday, and the citrus scent lasted at least through lunchtime.

Not only is this cologne cheap costs-wise, it is also "cheap" scent wise.

To me, it smelled something like the acrid smells associated with fresh plastic water toys when they are first taken out of the bag.

I did not keep, not ever apply this scent after I purchased it.

I do not consider it to be a classy or distinctive scent.

-joedy

:cool: I am confused now; is it dog peepee, cat peepee,horse peepee or cheap people peepee?:bored: :confused: I just thought Charles was right and it made a nice room deoderizer. I wonder how many people think I let a pony loose in the house to go peepee?Oh well I think I'll keep using it as a room spritzer.

Rexj

Scotto said:
Smells like pee-pee, IMO. :rolleyes:

rexj said:
:cool: I am confused now; is it dog peepee, cat peepee,horse peepee or cheap people peepee?:bored: :confused: I just thought Charles was right and it made a nice room deoderizer. I wonder how many people think I let a pony loose in the house to go peepee?Oh well I think I'll keep using it as a room spritzer.

Rexj

I think Scotto may be trying to develop a market for pee-pee. Although I wish him the best of luck, I'm afraid mine doesn't smell too much like Florida Water and would probably not be a great hit with the masses.

I think I'll pass on those particular samples.

:wink:

Got a bottle of Florida Water in my recent shipment from QED. For a cheap plastic bottle I was very impressed that they at least retained the old, intricately artsy-fartsy label, a very nice touch.

Being from the Midwest, I'd never heard of this product even back in the heyday of the American Barbershop (you know pre-Salon when the Barber didn't call himself Sir Don & the shop was packed with Dad's & their Boys. Tons of mag's to read & checkers tournaments & Nehi sodie-pops vended from horizontal machines).

When I pulled it out of the shipping box, SWMBO squealed in delight "Florida Water". SWMBO was born in the "old country" (LOL - one of them hellholes in Central America !!! hey, I didn't just say that !!!) & has fond memories of "Florida Water" being sprinkled on the Nino's to get the l'il Runts 'n Varmints
smelling good before Momma strolled down to the banana stand to show'em off of in public.

Actually liked the scent quite a bit. Only lingers about 2 hours if your lucky but for the price this stuff smells real good to me....Will definitely keep it in stock going
forward.

Now I have a bottle of this, Hoyt's & Pinaud Clubman that I'm using in the rediscovery of traditional shaving. Funny but these are the scents I grew up with (OLD SPICE was the WHALE in the Midwestern market though). By the time I was old enough to start wanting to pour a half-a-bottle of something on (you know like 13 - 14 yr old) English leather, Canoe, Jade East were the choice of "my generation". All of those were much more expensive than Dad's fav's but in retrospect this old man now has a clue that his old man had danged good taste in wearing the "manly" scents...

Last but not least, Florida Water (as well as Hoyt's) is a favorite of follower's of Santeria, aka VooDoo aka Hoodoo. Here's a quote from some Hoodoo website I found .....

"Florida Water Use like Holy Water for cleansings, good luck and
protection." Bottom line is splash this stuff on next time you head down to your local 7/11 to buy yer weekly lottery tickets !!!!:001_rolle

I have been using this product since I was 13 years old (that was a LONG time ago...). I loved it then, and I love it now.

It's light and refreshing and has a calming effect, I think. Very nice in the summer. I only wish the scent would last longer.

I like it so much, I ended up buying a case of it from the manufacturer.

I think it neither smells cheap or, not that I've smelled this recently, (insert animal/human/alien) pee.

Personally, I think it's a must for anyone's shaving shelf/counter/cabinet/vault.

I just picked up a bottle, yesterday, at a local latin grocer for $3.99. At first smell, I really liked it. There is an interesting clove and citrus character to it.

This morning, I gave it a try for the very first time, splashing on after using the alum block. There must be a very high alcohol percentage in this stuff. It had a real bracing sting off the start. After about 30 seconds this interesting sensation of numbness set in and lasted for a good 5 minutes or so.

The scent was nice...I do like the citrus and clove mix...very interesting stuff.

The big issue is that after about 45 minutes to an hour, the smell is completely gone.

If you are looking for a bracing slap in the face after you shave, then I would highly recommend this stuff. If you are looking for a scent that will last you any measurable amount of time, then you may not want to use it.

For me...I plan on making it a weekend thing. Shave...use the Florida water, have breakfast, then after the scent is gone, spray on some cologne before heading out for the day.

Cheers...

Ron.

Ron,

I agree, the scent does dissapate quicky. If only they made a cologne of it, I think it would be quite popular.

Have you tried 4711? That's another good one, but alas, the scent goes away quickly, too. It is very refreshing, however.

Here's a Florida Water story. A couple months ago I was in Guatemala, and I had the opportunity to watch and participate in a Mayan religious ceremony under the full moon. Not a tourist showcase, but a real ceremony. They ended it with a cleansing, where they sprinkled special water from a little bottle into the participants hands to wash over your face and head. It smelled very nice and flowery, I asked what it was and they told me agua de florida. I looked at the bottle and yup, it was a bottle of Florida Water! That's when the "Doh!" light went on in my head - Agua de Florida - Flowery water!

florida water was my daily use a/s for the past 4 -5 years.the last 6 months all of the local sources have dried up.may have to wander into some of the spanish grocers around here.

Pretty much just alcohol and fragrance, but does a good job of toning the face and I LOVE the smell. It's got a great citrus and clove thing going on. Burns like Hades, but that's okay.

FW isn't from Chanel, or Creed, it can't even be compaired to Old spice, God forbid. But for a few dollars a bottle its not bad stuff. It beats the pants off some of the other low dollar scents I've tried. But when it comes to scents, its allways a YMMV type of thing.

Top Bottom