What's new

Proraso: Great lather, numb face

I shaved about an hour ago and I made the most amazing lather. I think this might be the best lather I've ever done. Having made lather this good, I also understood another element that makes shaving enjoyable; seeing such good lather can really make you happy, especially since you made it. The parallels of cooking and wet shaving are astounding. I'm digressing a bit, but OK . . .

I used Proraso shaving cream for the first time today. I made quite a bit of lather and I had a good shave, I think I had enough lather for two more passes. (I did three passes plus touch-ups) I'm quite happy with my shave and I thought the lather was really as good as it gets. (Well, not really. I use a plastic bowl... It wasn't particularly warm. :bored:) I assume this issue has been discussed previously: the Eucalyptus oil. (Or is it the menthol too?) It makes my face go cold, almost numbing it. The cold, numbing sensation seems to be a big problem here, I felt like I was starting to get a headache (that feeling has now subsided).

I would love to continue to use this cream . . . What am I to do? I read about mixing creams together, I suppose I could give that a try. I am puzzled as to why a cream has this kind of numbing sensation to begin with.

The menthol will numb you face. Happens most proraso products that contain menthol.

If it is a big annoyance I would suggest trying another cream or soap.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hi, I had something similar, I do not enjoy being that numb after a shave. What you can do is cut the proraso with a glycerin soap when you do your lather. The menthol is not as strong so it's easier. I also tried the Omega shaving cream, similar to Proraso Green but milder. Proraso white (aloe and tea tree) is also milder but contain Menthol. I would say, try to cut it with soap (50/50) and you will see where it takes you. Cheers, Luc

Hmmmm, I wanted to try Proraso with my next order. But it numbs the face? I must say I don't like the sound of that.

It's a classic YMMV example. I love Proraso and it doesn't numb my face. I do get a cooling sensation but I doesn't freeze me really. It's a great cream for me and I am sure I am not the exception in saying that.

It's a classic YMMV example. I love Proraso and it doesn't numb my face. I do get a cooling sensation but I doesn't freeze me really. It's a great cream for me and I am sure I am not the exception in saying that.
+1, I might experience a little numbness when it is on my face, rinse it off and splash cold water and man does the cooling kick in, feels great! Especially in the summer. If you are unsure of trying it I would suggest picking up the small tube of Bigelow at Bath&Bodyworks, if you have one nearby. It's only $5 and if you find you don't like it keep it and use for superlather, you're only out $5.

Cheers,
David

I honestly think it's a great choice for beginners like me because it almost acts as a topical anaesthetic so when you shred your face to pieces, it doesn't hurt as much, plus I just like the menthol feeling.

Hmmmm, I wanted to try Proraso with my next order. But it numbs the face? I must say I don't like the sound of that.

I haven't experienced numbness, but it's definitely a cooling sensation. It kinds of feel like getting splashed with water and then walking out into a brink cool breeze. Nice when it's 106F [41C] outside. Not so nice when it's 40.

Well the cooling sensation is so intense it sometimes feels like my face is on fire. I'm going to mix it with Wars shaving cream later tonight.

1st time I used it, It numbed my skin a lot and I got a bad shave because of that. :mad:

I almost sold it.

After 2 shaves only, my skin got used to it, and now I love it. :thumbup1:

I get the cool tingly sensation after it has been on my skin a while, or after my 3rd pass. I do get some numbness after the shave is all said and done, but the shave is great, the smell is nice, and the lather is superb.

I am up here in Alaska and I love the cooling sensation winter or summer. Sometimes after I am done shaving with another soap/cream I will then lather up my face with proraso green as a post shave just so I can have the cooling effect. I love proraso, it is a staple in my shave den. Try the Proraso Green Tea, it is much milder and almost no cooling with same luxurious lather.

I ended up getting the Proraso white Green Tea/Aloe with a tube of Omega because in the end, I've found that the lanolin greatly aids in the comfort and ease of shaving with a DE.

I've never had the numbing sensation, though it does make sense that some people might have quite a different reaction due to skin chemistry, blood circulation, etc. It does cool my face and a cold water splash is very "refreshing", to say the least.

If I use Proraso in the winter, I splash with warmer/tepid water so that the cooling isn't accentuated. But generally I don't use it in the winter, as I have other choices.

With all the talk of the white and the Omega, I do need to try those as well, of course.

Top Bottom