What's new

Anyone wear mil surplus clothing? M65 field jackets, etc?

Hell yeah. The pants. I have a few pairs of Nam bdus, a pair of chocolate chip desert bdus, some of the urban blues., and a pair of black ones. I am not fat, but have been putting on weight lately, and my waistline fluctuates. The combination of the belt thingies on the sides and a button fly means they are the most comfy pants I have.

Other than that, I have a bunch of surplus odds and ends like a gortex hooded jacket and a mustang jacket. I lived in San Diego for 6 years, and if you get there at the right time, the Salvation Army has good stuff.

GB

I take the desert camo BDU pants and cut them off into shorts. I wear them in the summer. they make great cargo shorts and are quite comfortable.

DL

I take the desert camo BDU pants and cut them off into shorts. I wear them in the summer. they make great cargo shorts and are quite comfortable.

DL

+1 on the shorts. Very comfortable, and pockets for everything!

I also love my field coat. Got it @ the thrift store for $5. Got the liner for it to make it extreme cold ready on the 'bay for about $6. Comfy, lots of pockets, and very durable.

I wouldnt' ever even remotely consider wearing any of this by choice. I wear a uniform at least 5 days a week so the chance to dress a little more civilized is always welcome.

I've had an M65 for at least 15 years and it is still going strong. MY N-3B Parka gets me through the Chicago winters with the sub-zero temperatures and the wind.
I may not look fashionable in winter, but I'm warm.:biggrin:

The Model 65 Field Jacket is one of the best. It may not look fashionable, but with the liner, you'll be warm. I have a woodland pattern that I purchased in 1980, and I still have it. When I frequented paintball forums and some kid would post (and they always did) about how burned out he was with the sport and whether he should retire, I'd reply, "I've got a jacket that's older than you!" .

My latest purchase was a reproduction of the 1943 model U.S. field jacket. This one has a fur pile liner, and it's great in the cold weather.

Don

The Model 65 Field Jacket is one of the best. It may not look fashionable, but with the liner, you'll be warm.

They're currently the peak of fashion, or recently were. I've seen designer branded copies go for $500+. It's kind of insane.

Mine ran me a grand total of $40, including getting it fitted. Has held up with minimal damage for over 3 years so far.

I wouldnt' ever even remotely consider wearing any of this by choice. I wear a uniform at least 5 days a week so the chance to dress a little more civilized is always welcome.

:laugh: I 'sympathise' with you on this Slagle. :wink: ....even after separation from active duty this month. 'mufti' 'civvy' clothes all the way :thumbup1:

M65s are awesome. Without the liner, I've found it to be good for the 20f to 35f degree range. It doesn't often get below 20f here, so I never bought a liner.

Legion

Staff member
I have my fathers M65, which I don't wear due to it being a bit small.

I do have an Austrian army M65 equivalent (Osterreich Bundesheer patch on the arm), and the material it is made from is far superior. Much nicer to wear, and I do go a bit "De Nero, Taxi Driver" look in that on occasion, when the weather is cool.

I completely wore out a OD field jacket 25 years ago. I still use an OD with the liner when it gets bitter cold. I keep a woodland one in my truck for knocking around in.

I have an m 65 field jacket in digital woodland. I've only needed to wear it once this year but it was quite warm. I look forward to using it more this winter.

Top Bottom