What's new

Quality of designer fragrance aftershave

I was wondering if anyone uses aftershave by a designer fragrance. I have only used Estee Lauder Pleasures balm and it was ok and left my face greasy.

I would suppose that the quality probably varies greatly but I always assumed that for the most part they are pretty low quality. I assume that you are paying for the scent and name instead of the quality of the aftershave. They probably are just made up of the fragrance, alcohol, and glycerin.

Am I correct? Does anyone have experience with these types of aftershaves? If so are any really outstanding?

I've been reading these forums for about 1.5 years.

The guys here tend to agree on the kinds of aftershaves:

1. Classic companies that have been making aftershaves for years (AV, Skin Bracer, Old Spice, Nivea or imports like Boosters, Musgo and Speik)

2. Higher-end companies that specialize in making Men's grooming products, often imported from Europe (Trumpers, Taylors, etc.)

I seldom hear mention of Department Store brand aftershaves. Some of them might be good, I don't know. But they don't get much discussion around here. I'm talking about Aftershave versions of Colognes you'd find in Dillards or JCPennys, etc.

I've been using Boss and CK for ages, and they work wonderfully, try some CK Escape some time. The only reason not to use them is the cost (40-50€ per bottle), but I use less than half a bottle per year, so I don't worry that much.
A cheaper alternative is to get their EdT's and just use some Nivea balm or an alumblock as AS treatment.

The designer aftershaves also tend to be high in alcohol, so they sting quite a bit. :biggrin:

I've been using Boss and CK for ages, and they work wonderfully, try some CK Escape some time. The only reason not to use them is the cost (40-50€ per bottle), but I use less than half a bottle per year, so I don't worry that much.
A cheaper alternative is to get their EdT's and just use some Nivea balm or an alumblock as AS treatment.

The designer aftershaves also tend to be high in alcohol, so they sting quite a bit. :biggrin:

I had a bottle of CK "Calvin" about 14 years ago. I really liked it then, it would be interesting to track it down..

This does not apply to ALL designer aftershaves, but I've used quite a few and would like to say that they normally are not much different at all from your average, everyday alcohol-based aftershave and offer little if any edge over them. Too often, they're simply alcohol and fragrance. You're paying for the added scent. There might be a few other goodies in there, but usually it isn't worth the price tag. There are exceptions, one being Acqua di Parma. Overall, I feel the balms they offer are better constructed and are kinder to one's face.

I have a tube of Hannae Mori aftershave balm that I picked up at Nordstrom. I like the scent, but the overall quality does not compare IMO to the traditional products that are the subject of most discussion on this forum.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, but I imagine that products like this place primary importance on scent and focus on other elements as an afterthought.

I have a tube of Hannae Mori aftershave balm that I picked up at Nordstrom. I like the scent, but the overall quality does not compare IMO to the traditional products that are the subject of most discussion on this forum.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, but I imagine that products like this place primary importance on scent and focus on other elements as an afterthought.

Scent is primarily there concern. Quality is probably is no higher than a $4 aftershave.

Top Bottom