What's new

Muhle Pinsel R89 closed comb or Merkur HD

Dear All

am having a quandry - Really like the quality finish on the Muhle and surprised by the dissappointing quality posted for the Merkur HD.

I am a sucker for quality goods.

I think they are very similiar designs but just like the quality on the Muhle better.

Please note I am after the closed comb version NOT the open comb that has been reviewed already which appears to be the old version, judging by the handle design.

It appears that the vertical handle design has been redesigned

see here

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/classic/razors/1/safety_razor/77/8/R_89

Anyone had any experience with both? And is the quality on the Muhle better than the HD - more importantly is the shave better???

Anyone know where I can land one in the UK?
I know that the muhle-pinsel head is also used by the highly rated Edwin Jagger DEs but do not wish to pay more than is necessary.
Merkur heads were previously used but due to quality and stock issues this changed.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The quality of the Muehle/Jagger razors is superb. I have a Jagger DE89L and the build quality far surpasses any Merkur I've handled and even the old Gillettes I've handled. If you want quality, can't go wrong with an EJ/Muehle.

As far as the shave goes, it's very different from my old trusty Gillette super adjustable. The blade gap might be equivalent to the adjustable set on 5 or so. I generally keep my adjustable on 2 or 3, so this is a noticeably more aggressive shave for me. I've never actually shaved with a Merkur HD, only handled them in store. I would assume the EJ/Muehle head works at least as well as any Merkur head, even though the design is a little different. Like any razor, you have to figure out how to best use it. I'm still working on that.

Personally, if you like the Muehle / Jagger, I'd say go for it.

Last edited:
Just received confirmation that the open comb R89 reviewed has been discontinued and the R89 (the muhler-pinsell link in the very first post) is all new and completely redesigned. This has been confirmed by a Muhler-Pinsel representative via email.

From what I have red elsewhere EJ/Muhler is great combo, so will sample it for a little less.

I think I am gonna go for it !

They are great looking razors. If I could afford it, I'd get the nickel plated box from Muehle just to display the thing.

I have the "new" R89 - it arrived in the mail about a week ago.

I've shaved with it twice and it does a very good job - better than my other Merkurs (other than the Slant!). The handle is a little too light IMO, and is not sufficiently textured for good handling when wet.

However the "head geometry" is excellent and the finish is indeed first class.

Top Bottom