What's new

Do you prefer all metal razors or those with non metal handles?

Also what are the metal razors made of? I was always under the impression that they were stainless but I am thinking that isn't the case...thanks

All metal razor handles are usually made from plated brass not stainless steel.
The technology to cheaply make handles from SS didn't exist when most of these razors were made.
Brass is very easy to work with, durable and easy to plate.
It's also much easier to knurl then SS.

Last edited:
I prefer metal, especially something with a bit of weight to it, but that seems to be the case for most everything requiring tactile feedback. Even the mouse on my desk has small weights in it to make it heavier.

part of the pleasure for me is the feeling of a solid, machines hunk of metal in my hand.

i have a gillette knack with a plastic handle and it feels kinda like a cheap bic pen. had an aluminum tech and it was too light to feel good about.

i likes me some heft.

All metal fan here.

Plastic and alu for me make for a unbalanced razor which i find harder to work with.

I have a Slim, PAL Adjustable and Schick type G. The first two could pass as NOS. Only the Schick has a visible crack in the handle (but shaves great).

The choice is pretty much obvious for me. Metal is the only way to go if durability is concerned.

All metal razor handles are usually made from plated brass not stainless steel.

I'm going to guess that the above statement is 99% true, but I'm fairly certain that the handle of my 56 Superspeed blue tip is aluminum. Maybe that's why I don't care much for it? :bored:

I prefer both types equally. The main thing for me is the balance - not the material.

Regards.

Jakob

I'm going to guess that the above statement is 99% true, but I'm fairly certain that the handle of my 56 Superspeed blue tip is aluminum. Maybe that's why I don't care much for it? :bored:

I should have added except for those made of aluminum.
The only SS handle I've seen or heard of are the Lux 60s era Polish Army razors.

I guess I like both. The majority of my shavers are metal but I do love my Schick Injectors. I have a racket (tennis) and stick (4-speed) in my rotation.

I don't have a DE yet, but for safety razors I like all metal, seems more durable. For straight it doesn't matter much (since you only rinse and hold the blade anyway), but I tend to go more towards wood there, straights need to be manageable, and there I want the scales as light as possible.

Top Bottom