What's new

Straight Accidents?

You know, with Halloween coming up, it brings to mind all of the things we were told to be careful of while trick-or-treating. However, I recently heard that most of the stories were urban legend and few (if any) injuries ever took place.

I wonder if something similar goes for straight razors. We all know they're potentially dangerous. However, other than the garden variety razor burn, nicks, and small cuts, does anyone know of a REAL incident where someone actually got seriously hurt with a straight razor while shaving, sharpening, etc.?

Still, just as I would never let a child eat an apple from a stranger, I don't plan on being careless with a straght razor either. I just wonder how frequent it is, with an average amount of care, that your average person hurts themselves.

My guess is not very likely. My other guess is that there are some great stories out there, too.

Happy Halloween!:a51:

I've had a few slices shaving when I was learning, and I nearly sliced the tip of a finger off when honing once, but that's about it.
I know we were giving one guy a hard time for chopping his thumb attempting the hanging hair test for awhile.
Nothing major has happened to me, anyway.
John P.

Does shaving with a Feather count?

P1010088.JPG

P1010089.JPG

P1010090.JPG

P1010091.JPG

P1010094.JPG

I've gashed myself with a straight a few times by coming in too quickly at the wrong angle. Nothing that hasn't healed. I've also had a Joelish result from a barber but never with my own straights.

My first try with a Feather (or any straight) last week got me a rather deadly-looking slice on my cheek, but I've been cautious enough learning how to use it that I haven't gotten anything anywhere close to Joel's severity. 'Course, I haven't gotten anything close to a BBS shave either, so hey.

Damn Joel! Did you say that was from a Feather in a DE? I think that's a good Halloween scare for all of us. If some of us dream of great shaves, then certainly your experience is what we have nightmares about.

Thanks for having the guts to post those pics!

Hiya Joel,

Speaking in a General Sense when I shaved with my Merkur's/Gillette's (USA's) that's what happened to me from day one, just not as extensively or irratated. (EDIT: Fortunately for me, there wasn't any real bleeding involved, to speak of, just irratation.) I only started 3 weeks ago, my technique wasn't as good as it was now. I hate when my face decides to go all sensitive on me. :biggrin:

Are those razor bumps? How is your technique? How long have you been shaving with a DE razor?

Are you going to continue to shave every day since the accident? What's your battle plan?

Duggo

BlackLabelBrewer said:
Damn Joel! Did you say that was from a Feather in a DE? I think that's a good Halloween scare for all of us. If some of us dream of great shaves, then certainly your experience is what we have nightmares about.

Thanks for having the guts to post those pics!

Nope - that was my first go around with a feather straight razor.... I learned to wetshave on a genuine straight razor (years before I tried my first DE) and after having been used to the angle you shave with and the pressure you apply (for a normal straight razor) that was the result.... needless to say the technique was VERY different than that of my dovo 5/8. After my face healed and I gave it another go (using ZERO pressure) I began getting close shaves with no irritation. Those pics are from over 2 years ago, right when feathers came onto the forum scene, so not many people had tried them yet, or commented on the technique.

Duggo said:
Hiya Joel,

Are those razor bumps? How is your technique? How long have you been shaving with a DE razor?

Are you going to continue to shave every day since the accident? What's your battle plan?

Duggo

No razor bumps - tremendous amounts of irritation. The "accident" was over 2 years ago..... see the above post for a more in depth explination :smile:

I got a few gashes when I started using a straight. I managed to slice both earlobes, both sides of my top lip, and about 6 or 7 slices on my left cheek. Most were minor but a couple were deeper, the kind you do and suddenly take a deep breath from the shock - and wait for the blood to start running. The worst 2 or 3 were maybe 1.5cm long and 2-3mm deep. They're all healing up nicely now though, and all were done when I was using incorrect technique and trying to go against the grain far too soon. Since I started using the exact same technique/strokes that Lynn demonstrates on his DVD, I've had much better results and no cuts at all during the last 5 shaves.

That's it I've jinxed myself now, I bet I'll sever my jugular when I shave later. :lol:

Shibeys dude! Those are some graphic photos.

As my mom would say when my brother or I would cut ourselves, "At least we know your blood is red."

Did you use an alum block after that? That would really sting. :rolleyes:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The only time a straight razor is safe is when it it against your face. You are much more likely to have an accident when it is anywhere else.:001_wub:

Never shave while having an argument (sorry, "heated discussion") with your wife. Last time I did, I was straight shaving and not concentrating (on the shave, that is). Managed to slice my neck. It wasn't really so bad, but it bled like a champ.

joel said:
No razor bumps - tremendous amounts of irritation. The "accident" was over 2 years ago..... see the above post for a more in depth explination :smile:

Joel you scare me ! :eek:

That was some serious mayhem just as I was about to think of ordering the Artist Club . ah no I'll wait till those images are burried deep into my mind and I''ll forget. darn man who needs Jap. horror movies just watch your face is enough ! :scared:

so me watching the B&B DVD watch you using a straight will do me NO good for the Artist Club so we are all on our own when it comes to learning to shave with a Feather A.Club ?

I have been fortunate and not opened a vein while shaving with a straight. Preparation and patience are the key to success and a great shave.

That being said, I almost sliced off a knuckle the other day while working on a reclamation project razor. I had worked up to #0000 steel wool on the blade and it was looking so nice, I started thinking about shaving with it. Big mistake..........A rookie mistake, but one I'm sure I will make again.

Just a slice but a reminder to pay attention. Once the bleeding stopped, I finished polishing the razor and then took the hone to it. I'll probably give it the first ride tomorrow morning and welcome it officially to the clan.

-Scott-

Damn, Joel! . . . Damn!

My experience with the feather had been almost totally positive.

Now I know what you meant when you said that skill with a regular straight was not comparable to skill with an Artist Club razor.

Thing is, I would have put it down before things got that far. I guess your one of those men who just has to finish what he starts . . . no matter how questionable the result.

Damn!

Wenbier said:
Damn, Joel! . . . Damn!

My experience with the feather had been almost totally positive.

Now I know what you meant when you said that skill with a regular straight was not comparable to skill with an Artist Club razor.

Thing is, I would have put it down before things got that far. I guess your one of those men who just has to finish what he starts . . . no matter how questionable the result.

Damn!

I did that for a week until I got in the swing of things - and got it right. Once you get used to it - it works great, but you can't really "change it up" between regular straight and feather - at least in my experience, as my performance/the end result of my shaves seems to be inferior with both tools when I switch back and forth. All in all - the feather is great...... but you must use NO pressure, and it is boring as all hell to use.

Top Bottom