What's new

A Failed Experiment...

This weekend, I conducted a shaving experiment. The details are as follows:

The Inspiration:

Earlier this week, my gym was giving out free Gillette Fusion razors. Free? Sure, I'll take one. It sat in my bag, unopened, for several days, and I finally decided that I would try it out...I've been shaving with a DE for well over a year, and I had forgotten what a 5-blade razor felt like.

I had to take a trip on Friday/Saturday and I didn't feel like checking the bag with my DE blades. I figured I would just bring along the Fusion and use it for the weekend. After all, I had my shave brush, Pre de Provence soap, Thayer's Medicated Superhazel, and not to mention a refined shaving technique. How bad could it be?

The Experiment

Saturday morning, I began the shaving ritual. Hot shower, soaking brush, warm lather, the works. The ONLY thing I changed was the razor. From the moment that flat head touched my face, I remembered why I switched in the first place. It didn't feel like it was cutting my beard, it felt like it was pulling the hairs out by the root. Definitely the most unpleasant moment of an otherwise wonderful day.

I finished two WTG passes (my face hurt so bad that I stopped there) and I splashed some cold water on my face. The amount of stubble left after two passes was absolutely insane. Then came the Thayers, which I was hoping would soothe my chaffed skin. I followed up with my Nivea balm, and looked in horror at what I saw in the mirror...my face was red and several spots on my neck were bleeding. I turned around and threw the Fusion in the garbage.

The Aftermath

This morning, I awoke to find little red bumps all over my face. Yes, ingrown hairs. After 1 year of shaving in absolute comfort, with my skin looking better than it had ever looked, 1 shave with a Fusion was all it took to resurrect the ingrown hairs and irritation that had plagued me since I was 16.

Conclusion

This might seem like common sense, but nonetheless I feel compelled to share what I have only recently discovered through experience.

For all those who have enjoyed good shaves for so long that you can't remember how bad cartridge razors feel, do not feel inspired to return "just in case."

I have forgotten what a cartridge razor feels like. Based on your results, I don't think I'll give one a try!

DL

i dunno. i've been shaving for a few months straight now with nothing but a safety razor. i've done a few shaves with a mach 3 and a fusion. the mach 3 does a pretty good job. just like 1 or 2 little missed spots.

i've found that the catridge razors work best using soap which tends to give a bit thinner lather. but i see you did use soap.

Did the same thing with an electric several months ago. My face was on fire that whole day and the ingrowns were several days in going away.

I feel your pain whenever I decide to "try something new" in my routine. However, most recently I ditched the slant for a Automatic Repeating Injector from the 20's- wow what a great move...

I still remember the feeling of cartridge razors pulling the hairs out of my face.

I think of this every time I pick up one of my Gillette DE's to shave with.

Actually cutting the hairs. What a novel approach.

Peace

Ouch!

A few weeks after I first started DE shaving I decided to give the old Mach 3 a try. Only after a few weeks the effects were VERY noticeable, pulling from start to finish with a new cartridge blade. :frown:

Needless to say I have not looked back!

Top Bottom