What's new

Olive Oil..

So i was shaving today taking my time since it is a lazy sunday.

Before my last ATG pass i decided to grab the Extra Virgin olive oil.

I could tell a big difference right away. I usually cannot go ATG on my upper lip without nic's, but no problem this time.

Does anyone have any homemade shaving oils they have had success with?

Most shaving oils you purchase are just Olive Oil, castor oil, and essential oils right for scent?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
G'Day Ben,

I made my own shaving oil as most shaving oils are a collection of an oil, vitamins and essential oils. If you take Pacific Shaving or King of Shaves, you have those basic ingredients and a few others.

I always love to quote this blog for shaving oils
http://mandypandys.blogspot.com/2008/05/pacific-shaving-company-shaving-oil.html

That blog "inspired" me to create my own. Mine consists of canola oil (someone bought it and left it here and I do not use Canola for cooking), Vitamin E and a few essential oils.

I was reading somewhere else that making you own shaving oil is useless because it will cost you more in the end (i.e. Essential Oils). I never believe that since the companies need to make money, they would not do it if it cost them money... So, if I calculate what I have here in essential oils, oil and vitamin E (what it costs) I think I would be good for at least 7-8 years.

Cheers,
Luc

Just use Extra Virgin Olive Oil straight out of the bottle.

While I don't say that PSOs are essential (I get fabulous shaves without them), they can, for many, make a shave better than it would have been without them. So if you're looking to optimize your shave, then PSOs are certainly worth trying. And there is no better PSO than standard EVOO. I have decanted some into an empty old dish detergent bottle and its probably enough to last me years. Its great for your skin, works great as a PSO, and is far, far better than anything you can by from any shaving goods manufacturer.:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

I always use straight Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a preshave and post shave touch up lubricate. The stuff is a wonder drug for your skin and provides great protection for buffing.

Stay away from other oils, even light olive oil, as they are chemically processed.

I Think Extra Virgin Olive Oil works better than any other pre-shave oil I have used thus far.

Oil's for cooking, boys.

If you've produced a quality lather with a quality soap or cream, no need.

Really depends on the individual. Extra virgin olive oil works very well for some, particularly if they find that soap/cream dries out their particular skin type. Oil is most definitely not just for cooking. I use food grade Organic extra virgin coconut oil as a supplement, in smoothies and stir fries, as well as as a luxurious all over body moisturizer. Very versatile oil, which I can't speak highly enough of!:001_smile

I USED to think the same..."oils for cooking boys"
but no longer..
I read and started doing this...
http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/
and my face has not felt better EVER!

I really cannot believe just how great it is..
It took some time to find the "right mix" of oils for my dry skin but :thumbup1:

For me.. 80% EVOO, 10% Castor Oil, 10% Jojoba
this may change as the winter is in full swing and with the forced air heat, it is DRY...
I tried more Castor Oil but no-way, my face would be sooo tite!
pretty wild really the way Castor Oil is...

Would EVOO work in a spray bottle? OR as a "splash"?

I suggest a splash...

But for spray, you might try the Butter Flavored PAM!

(not!)

I keep a bottle of Extra Virgin around, and use it probably 40% of the time. It certainly doesn't hurt, but I can't say it's a wonder drug!

If your prep takes less than 10-15 minutes, it probably WOULD be a big help!

KYLE LIVES!

My father is from Sicily. They used Olive Oil for everything for generations, including shaving, keeping your hair healthy and for dry skin. So to say it is only for cooking is not really correct.

Don't knock it until you try it, honestly.

Just use Extra Virgin Olive Oil straight out of the bottle.

While I don't say that PSOs are essential (I get fabulous shaves without them), they can, for many, make a shave better than it would have been without them. So if you're looking to optimize your shave, then PSOs are certainly worth trying. And there is no better PSO than standard EVOO. I have decanted some into an empty old dish detergent bottle and its probably enough to last me years. Its great for your skin, works great as a PSO, and is far, far better than anything you can by from any shaving goods manufacturer.:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

+1 have been doing this for years!

My father is from Sicily. They used Olive Oil for everything for generations, including shaving, keeping your hair healthy and for dry skin. So to say it is only for cooking is not really correct.

Don't knock it until you try it, honestly.

I used to shower in oil. I've tried too many to cite, but Baby was my favorite, as it didn't absorb into my skin and left it glistening.

Olive Oil makes for a fantastic moisturizer; the skin drinks it and loves it.

And, as you cite, it works well massaged into one's scalp.

I've tried several shaving oils, including AOS' OO-Castor Oil in a bottle, and EVOO on its own, as well as grapeseed, mineral, et al., and have found them to be of little use.

That's been my experience. YMMV.

Okay, I've found that a bit of oil helps to keep my skin from drying out from the lather. I've tried both "pure olive oil" and extra virgin olive oil. While the extra virgin does taste better, they both work to keep the skin from drying out. Just a little bit does the trick. I've taken a little bit and poured it into a film canister.

When I'm in an Italian mood, I rub a basil leaf over my face before applying the olive oil.

On French days, it's a mix of thyme, lavendar and tarragon.

For Fiesta-time, it's cilantro, plus a touch of serrano oil if it's winter.

Whatever my mood, I enjoy the salad days of shaving. :biggrin: :lol:

Really depends on the individual. Extra virgin olive oil works very well for some, particularly if they find that soap/cream dries out their particular skin type. Oil is most definitely not just for cooking. I use food grade Organic extra virgin coconut oil as a supplement, in smoothies and stir fries, as well as as a luxurious all over body moisturizer. Very versatile oil, which I can't speak highly enough of!:001_smile
Someone's been reading "Eat Fat, Lose Fat," haven't they? I'm still trying to find a source for decent coconut oil.

That oil cleansing method looks intriguing. I'm going to have to read that thoroughly.
Thanks.
J.

Top Bottom