What's new

I can't help it... I like the cheap stuff

I've tried lots of creams, soaps, aftershaves, etc: some from big name companies, others from our popular artisan soap makers. But my favorities tend to be inexpensive stuff. Don't get me wrong, I like my T&H SC, my L'Occitane Cade SS and many others but I keep returning to my old traditional standbys.

And I may be the only one, but I almost feel like I'm deviously scooping everyone. You know, like I'm somehow one of a few geniuses who find great deals on excellent products that work phenomenally. Silly, I know but still fun (as if there aren't 264 other people on here who agree that my favorites are solid performers as well).

My current favorites are:
Merkur HD w/ Crystal
Vulfix brush I've had for years
SC - JM Fraser's, Speick, WARS, Proraso
AS - Everyman Jack unscented from Target followed by Aqua Velva splash

Just wanted to opine.:001_smile
Thoughts welcome.

I agree with you. I have recently come to the realization the best performing creams for me have been the drug store shelf product that can be found anywhere in the Europe. Those being Palmolive Classic & Erasmic (creams & shave sticks) Phenomenal stuff !!! :thumbup1:

I still love my Dr. Harris Arlington though. :tongue_sm

speick and kiss my face are two more inexpensive creams that perform far beyond their pay grade.

i hear arko is very good stuff as well....

I've tried the "Three T's" and discovered I get better results with Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Proraso, Speick, Tabac and Provence Sante.

None of these are all that expensive and they make for an outstanding shave.

I think people should use what works best for them. I agree Erasmic cream is pretty good stuff. The only downside to it is that I find I need to use more cream compared to Taylor's. Given the price stateside, I'm not sure I really save much compared to Taylors. However, it's good to have around and the barbershop type smell is very unique.

My favorite inexpensive products are Proraso pre-shave and Nivea sensitive balm.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to cheap shaving.
Lux razor: $9.00
100 Red Pack Personna's: $10.00
C&E brush used: $25.00
Big tub of J.M. Fraser's: $12.00
Booster June Clover: $10.00

If I had to pick one cream and one cream only it would be Tabac. At any price nothing lathers like Tabac or is as slick.

If I had to pick one cream and one cream only it would be Tabac. At any price nothing lathers like Tabac or is as slick.

tabac is great, but i might have to toss frasiers in there too. for $12 you get a massive tub of cream that is unbelievably slick and makes crazy thick lather

i like the c.o. bigelow cream (basically proraso) and nivea cream in a tube. both between 5-10 bucks depending on the size/where you buy them from.

i like the c.o. bigelow cream (basically proraso) and nivea cream in a tube. both between 5-10 bucks depending on the size/where you buy them from.

Take the nivea and put it on top of a puck of williams! Nice smelling lather that is really thick! Plus it's cheap as dirt.

I gotta say, I just tried C.O. Bigelow (which is made by Proraso I think), and it was AWESOME, the fact that I couldn't feel my face for about 15 minutes afterwards just made me giddy, and it's pretty cheap.

For me it's Speick, Palmolive sensitive, C.O. Bigelow and Tabac soap + Proraso Soap.

Anything else i have tried does just not work as well for me. Even Nivea doesn't work so well for me....it seems to dry out too quickly on my skin whereas Speick and Palmolive seems to stay slick and moist forever.

For me it's Speick, Palmolive sensitive, C.O. Bigelow and Tabac soap + Proraso Soap.

Anything else i have tried does just not work as well for me. Even Nivea doesn't work so well for me....it seems to dry out too quickly on my skin whereas Speick and Palmolive seems to stay slick and moist forever.

Haven't tried the Speick, but +1 on the Palmolive Sensitive. I have the Palmolive Classic in the house now, but haven't really started to evaluate it as I committed myself to the Week of Williams. :bored:

BTW, where do you get your Palmolive Sensitive? I'm almost out, though I've requested a couple of tubes from a friend who is in Paris right now.

I bought a single tube while i was in germany in december. I *really* have to have someone send me some more of the Palmolive Sensitive and the Speick. It's so dirt cheap over there that even sending it here would be cheaper than ordering it online. I think i paid like $4 for the Palmolive and only $3 for the Speick. Rediculuous....

i found with the nieva you have to use a little less water and a little more cream and then you'll basically get cool whip.

the taylor of old bond st. stuff is pretty good based on the review. its cheap and you can get a jar of it for like $14 which is about half the price of truefit & hill or trumpers.

i've also heard good things about the vulfix shaving creams. they are maybe like $15 or so. they are a bit different then the creams from truefitt and hill or trumpers but i've read some good reviews.

Top Bottom