What's new

charcoal vs propane

I know, a weird topic for a shaving forum.

I've been having an ongoing debate with a friend of mine for 4 years now. He has a propane supergrill. Cost over 1000 bucks and truly is a site to behold. I have a weber charcoal grill and you couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands.

I was wondering what other people think about this? I find the taste from a charcoal grill is far superior. I also enjoy the "prep time" as a little "me time". Very similar to the relaxation I got when I switched from "shaving" with a gillete fusion to grooming with a DE razor and a proper brush, a nice shave soap, etc...

My personal feelings on a propane grill is it simply is an outdoor appliance. It's fast, quick and easy. Just like cooking with your propane oven, just outdoors. I know you can purchase "smoker boxes" for them, but the little bit of wood that's used can't compare to the larger volume of wood used with a charcoal grill- and it's that smokey taste that defines bbq.

Oh- and my friend is looking at replacing his current grill with an even better one. Me, I'm hoping that my current grill lasts me my lifetime.

Now that's a good topic. I'm an avid griller. It's one of my favorite pastimes. I'm the proud owner of 5 grills. One is natural gas, one is propane, two are charcoal, and one is technically a fire pit with a grill grate on top. You're friend probably has a beautiful grill. But for taste, there's nothing better than charcoal. I use briquettes as well as lump charcoal. Sometimes I add hardwood chunks like mesquite, hickory, or applewood to produce smoke for added flavor. My natural gas grill is on my deck just outside my kitchen door. During the work week when time is limited, I use the gas grill which is much faster. On the weekends, though, I enjoy a little "me time" too and spend at least a good hour firing up and cooking on the Weber kettle. Around the holidays, even in winter, I'm out there for most of the day smoking a ham or turkey. There's nothing better than that. If you care for it, there's no reason why your Weber shouldn't last through the years. It's nice to have a few grills, though, for when you have a party or get together. I'll have a couple of grills going for different meats and one grill for fruits and vegetables and maybe desserts. Sometimes I'll have the fire pit going for burgers and hot dogs too. I LOVE THE GRILL.

charcoal all the way! I have a Weber that has been sitting in my backyard for 15 years + I like to use hickory or mesquite chips also.

propane is great for a portable fuel source. I prefer natural gas for my home but I used to have propane long ago. As for my grilling, Hank Hill can get stuffed. Its charcoal baby, charcoal all the way. I have cooked the propane way a few times but it didn't impress me enough to buy one.

I've got a charcoal grill, a propane, grill and a smoker. I would never give any of them up. The ease and quickness of the gas grill is unbeatable, when I have more time the great flavor of charcoal is fantastic and when I've really got time, there is nothing like a smoker. One of the great things about charcoal and smokers is you can really keep the cost down as well.

I've been thinking about gettinga smoker too. Here's the next big controversy- electric or charcoal? I would think electric would be much easier, but the charcoal has got to have a better flavour.

I roast a lot of turkeys in my current weber grill, but I'd love to branch out further. Roasts, ribs, try some pulled pork, etc... I think these type of things would do better in a proper smoker. Does anybody have any suggestions on what model to buy?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Charcoal for taste. Propane for convenience. I use both, they each have their places.

My sentiments exactly.

By fluke I was lucky enough to buy a propane grill that came with a charcoal burning insert so on those occasions when I pick up an extra special steak I can get that charcoal cooked taste.

Now that's a good topic. I'm an avid griller. It's one of my favorite pastimes. I'm the proud owner of 5 grills. One is natural gas, one is propane, two are charcoal, and one is technically a fire pit with a grill grate on top. You're friend probably has a beautiful grill. But for taste, there's nothing better than charcoal. I use briquettes as well as lump charcoal. Sometimes I add hardwood chunks like mesquite, hickory, or applewood to produce smoke for added flavor. My natural gas grill is on my deck just outside my kitchen door. During the work week when time is limited, I use the gas grill which is much faster. On the weekends, though, I enjoy a little "me time" too and spend at least a good hour firing up and cooking on the Weber kettle. Around the holidays, even in winter, I'm out there for most of the day smoking a ham or turkey. There's nothing better than that. If you care for it, there's no reason why your Weber shouldn't last through the years. It's nice to have a few grills, though, for when you have a party or get together. I'll have a couple of grills going for different meats and one grill for fruits and vegetables and maybe desserts. Sometimes I'll have the fire pit going for burgers and hot dogs too. I LOVE THE GRILL.

Now, this guy gets it.

I'll bet you even partake of a couple of bottles of fermented hops while engaged in this activity, don't you? :wink:

Oh- and my friend is looking at replacing his current grill with an even better one. Me, I'm hoping that my current grill lasts me my lifetime.

I have been using my $200 CharBroil charcoal grill with cast iron cooking grates for about 20 years. I occasionally have to buff the rust off the exterior and re-paint it with heat resistant paint, but other than that, it looks to me that it is good to go for another 20 years (I, myself, probably won't last that long).

I love charcoal broiled or roasted meats but I can barely tolerate gas cooked. I think I might be allergic to something in the gas. But, the charcoal cooked just tastes better.

Tim

Top Bottom