What's new

charcoal vs propane

I really seldom used my propane grill, but now I have a Weber kettle and use it regularly. To me it's really the epitome of what BBQ & grilling is all about.

I made a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving....and it was AMAZING! :001_smile

I have a Weber Genesis Gas Grill and a Big Green Egg. It takes about 10-15 minutes to warm up the Gas Grill so that I can use it. It takes not more than 11 minutes for the BGE to be ready to cook. Here's how: put the electric starter in the charcoal, adding more charcoal if necessary (something I occasionally have to do, since the BGE is very conservative on charcoal.) Set kitchen timer for five minutes, then unplug and remove electric starter. 5 to 6 minutes later the BGE is fully ready to cook. Oh, did I mention that this is totally without regard for the ambient temperature? The BGE works in rain, cold weather -- and I mean below zero cold weather -- the only limitation being the endurance of the chef.:smile: I smoked a brisket the other day, 12 hours, setting the temperature for 200°F. During that 12 hour period, I never had to adjust the dampers -- the temperature was maintained throughout with absolutely no fluctuation, and the temperature was 2° below zero. Try that the Weber, or any other gas Grill for that matter. So why do I have a Weber? Well, I got it first, but after getting the BGE, I use it now mostly for sides, or occasionally for grilling hamburgers and hot dogs while the main course is going in the BGE. I should mention that the taste of foods prepared in the BGE is far superior to anything achieved on my gas grill.
When I'm done cooking, I simply close the upper and lower dampers, and the fire goes out within a few minutes, conserving almost all my charcoal until the next use.
Bottom line, anyone who thinks a charcoal grill is more trouble or slower than a gas grill really needs to see the BGE in action. It will develop a temperature that is higher than anything a gas grill can possibly achieve, and cook at a lower temperature than any gas grill can maintain, and the thick walls mean that you have absolutely even temperature throughout the unit, but you can rest your hand on the outside while it's going full bore.

do you use an electric starter with a chimney or do you just have an electric starter under a pile of charcoal in the grill?

What starter are you using?

The only thing i dont like about the chimney starter is that the charcoal on the bottom gets a bit used up by the time the top charcoal is ready to go.

Do electric starters work that well? I've always used the chimney starter, but it still seems to take so long. I admit that a few times I've doused the chimney starter and the briquettes inside with lighter fluid. Looks a little like an afterburner, but when you're in a rush it works like a charm. Usually I try and stay away from the lighter fluid though. If the electric starter is faster than the chimney starter I'd definitely pick on up.

was a propane guy for a long time...... until I bought a Weber 22in. and grilled a tri-tip with hickory wood chips...heaven!!!!:wink: now my grill just sits under its cover all lonely.......

Last edited:
nrek619- you have to try a turkey with apple wood chips. Or if you happen to have an old apple tree around- Indirect grill it with a couple of smaller branches on either side. wow- just incredible. Plus that weber 22in is perfect for turkeys- lots of room. That's the grill I have and I love it.

I love my Webber and charcoal. Sadly, the new house we bought sits right on top of a hill, so we get KILLER winds every afternoon/evening. Grilling with charcoal is painful. I mean, literally painful. Dust and embers flying everywhere.

nrek619- you have to try a turkey with apple wood chips. Or if you happen to have an old apple tree around- Indirect grill it with a couple of smaller branches on either side. wow- just incredible. Plus that weber 22in is perfect for turkeys- lots of room. That's the grill I have and I love it.
have you tried the Jack Daniels Wood Smoking Chips???? awesome stuff right there!!!!:biggrin: never thought about trying to grill a turkey..... sounds sssooo damn good!! I'm getting hungry!!!!!:wink:

haven't tried the jack daniels, but now I want to. :)

There are a few great books on how to grill different cuts of meat. The barbecue bible is awesome, plus it shows how to set up a weber charcoal grill (and gas) for roasting turkeys. mmmmmmm. Have you tried pizza on the bbq yet? Oh man, that's just out of this world. You'd think the raw dough would fall throught the grate but it doesn't. I have to go eat now.

haven't tried the jack daniels, but now I want to. :)

There are a few great books on how to grill different cuts of meat. The barbecue bible is awesome, plus it shows how to set up a weber charcoal grill (and gas) for roasting turkeys. mmmmmmm. Have you tried pizza on the bbq yet? Oh man, that's just out of this world. You'd think the raw dough would fall throught the grate but it doesn't. I have to go eat now.
grilled pizza??? that's a new one for me!!!!! might have to try that one!!!! the Jack chips are made from the oak barrels they use to age the whiskey.....AWESOME taste!!! enjoy!!!:biggrin:

Here's how I do it--I bury the starter in the charcoal. alternately, if the charcoal level in the firebox has gotten low, I lay the starter on top of the charcoal, then pour more charcoal on top of the starter. Then I plug in the starter--7 minutes max. Then I unplug and remove the starter, close the dome on the BGE, making sure that both bottom and top dampers are wide open, and go prepare my meat. 5 minutes later my firebox temperature is close to 700°. At that point I adjust the dampers to bring my temperature to whenever I want it to be, toss the meat on, and start cooking.
I want to stress that cooking with charcoal is simplicity itself, and far easier than working with a gas grill. I can control my temperature far more precisely on the BGE that on my Weber. BTW, those of you who are using the Weber 22 inch charcoal grill also have a topflight instrument. in fact, there are those who rate it better than the BGE for grilling, while the BGE takes top marks for smoking.
Bottom line, I have found charcoal to be faster and more convenient than gas, and when it comes to taste, there is absolutely no comparison.
Bonus a recipe for rib steak 2 inches thick: run the BGE up to 650°, slap the rib steaks on the grill, sear for 2 minutes, turn and sear again for 2 minutes, close the dampers, wait 3 minutes and remove your steaks. They will be perfectly crusty on the outside, and perfectly medium rare on the inside. Try that on a gas grill.

The only problem i would have with the elec start method is that i usually pour my charcoal into dividers.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-9600-Ch...sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1233241330&sr=1-4

proxy.php

gotta have em if you want to do big cuts of meat (like a turkey). If you don't have them, the coals may tumble under the bird and scorch it. They come with most of the larger weber grills.

gotta have em if you want to do big cuts of meat (like a turkey). If you don't have them, the coals may tumble under the bird and scorch it. They come with most of the larger weber grills.

Right. The BGE uses something called a "plate setter" - a ceramic thing that you place on top of the coals, set a drip pan on it, and your meat over that. This way, the meat cooks by indirect heat, with a bit of a convection effect.
Works very well.

I'd love to try a big green egg. I've heard you can keep the temperature in them very low. That'd be great for ribs!

I'd love to try a big green egg. I've heard you can keep the temperature in them very low. That'd be great for ribs!
absolutely! I've done briskets keeping my temp at 200 F for 12 hours without adjusting a thing. I'll do some beef ribs in a few days, and I'm planning on smoking them at 150, and I anticipate absolutely no problem in maintaining that temperature.

Top Bottom