What's new

charcoal vs propane

Here is a shot of my Charcoal pit grill, my gas grill is a Weber which is great when I'm in a hurry.

proxy.php

I purchased a weber charcoal grill 2 years ago and the propane grill has set dormant ever since. I think i'm going to put it on the curb on trash day and see if anyone snags it.

I have one of the nice propane grills on my patio and use it quite a bit especially during the winter months, I am a big believer in marinating my steaks and other meats when using the grill for that added flavor.

Now on the other hand during the summertime and on special occasions during the winter I use my Brinkman smoker especially for ribs and briskets! During the winter months I use it to smoke cheeses and usually in the evening so the outside tempratures are low and you can cold smoke the cheese.

I've always just used the simple Weber charcoal grills, the latest being with me for the last 8 years or so. I'd love to grill more often, and gas would help with that I guess but I've never got a result in or on a gas grill that I felt I couldn't achieve in the kitchen.

I just find I can control the heat at lower temperatures better with coal/wood.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Charcoal all the way!!

Oh, cool photo ... but ... um ... you do know this is a shaving forum, right "Mr. Beardie"??

Charcoal all the way!!

Oh, cool photo ... but ... um ... you do know this is a shaving forum, right "Mr. Beardie"??

I shave my neck. That picture was actually from about two years ago, too. I keep the beard shorter, I've lost quite a bit of weight, and I do shave my neck almost daily. I like the "Mr. Beardie" name though. May have to choose that as a new nickname!

Charcoal all the way for me! I bought a large charcoal grill at Lowes about 3 years ago ... it looks like a propane grill, but sadly the Lowe's website doesn't show it right now. The fire pan can be raised and lowered, the lid has end vents, there is a front door sorta like the door to a cast iron stove for loading up more charcoal or wood. The grill surface is in three parts, making for easy cleaning, etc. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Edit: LOVE THE KILT!

I've been using propane for years just for the convenience. Lately I have been considering switching back to charcoal for the better result and flavor. This thread may just be my motivatation to do it.

I'm a charcoal guy.
My choice is the Big Green Egg. www.biggreenegg.com
It's the only option I've found that is able to do it all; sear, grill and smoke.
The design of the Egg makes it super-efficient, using natural lump charcoal (no briquet's or lighter fluid). Check it out.

I used propane for years and just last year bought a Weber kettle. I love it, and am still learning, as it seems more of an art than cooking with controlled and predictable propane.

I agree with previous posters that it is very versitile to have one of each. Propane to "just get the job done" and charcoal to slow down and take time to enjoy the rituals of cooking on a charcoal fire. I use a chimney starter... man you just can't beat that smell!!

I used propane for years and just last year bought a Weber kettle. I love it, and am still learning, as it seems more of an art than cooking with controlled and predictable propane.

I agree with previous posters that it is very versitile to have one of each. Propane to "just get the job done" and charcoal to slow down and take time to enjoy the rituals of cooking on a charcoal fire. I use a chimney starter... man you just can't beat that smell!!

I purchased the rotisserie for my weber kettle this year, works pretty good. Costs more than the grill itself though!

If you have not done it yet, try a beer can chicken on your weber.

I have always used a smoker or weber. Last summer I bought a propane grill. It's convenient and fast. This summer I will buy a weber as a backup. I miss charcoal.

Top Bottom