Thread: Clean/sterilize used DE razors

Default Clean/sterilize used DE razors

Hi,
    I've just ordered my first used razor from e-Bay, a Gillette Fat Boy. What is the best way to clean and sterilize the razor? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Images

[YOUTUBE]TBvG77qSq2g[/YOUTUBE]
    Dietmar

I picked up a bottle of Marvicide (barbicide) to sterilize them and any straight I'd buy. You can use any jar with a lid. Mix up the marvicide and let them soak for 10 minutes or more. Sallys Beauty supply.

Most germs were probably killed being exposed to the air, but I like a clean razor anyway.

Scrubbing Bubbles - get it, you'll need it. It's takes about 60 seconds for SB to remove soap/cream scum from your razor after each shave.

You can also use BORAX instaed of barbicide, but barbicide is really a breeze and I just keep a jar on hand for rinsing my own razors efvery couple weeks. Germs can gather, so why not.

IF you have stubborn dirt, a SOFT toothbrush and toohpaste work pretty well.

Check the stickies above for other ideas as well
    "Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them." [I]You can substitute DE razor, or other hobby items of interest, for guns as needed...[/I]

Default Thanks

Dietmar and Joseywales, thanks so much. While I have seen 2-3 of the Mantic videos, I didn't realize that he had one on cleaning razors. Again, thanks. These ideas help so much.
    Fred
    Last edited by freddy88; 01-24-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Hi,

There are a few threads here on what to do to clean a DE Razor. You need to be careful if there's brass, plastic or the gold razors. Please consult the following threads

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30131
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72762
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72172

For myself I did the soap/hot water soak (hot not boiling). I gave it a good scrub with a toothbrush. Then I did a warm water/javel (4% - 1 shot of javel for 9 shots of water). I then re-washed the razor in soap/hot water. I did a clean up with those alcohol bottles without water. Soap/hot water again. I let everything dry in the sun for an hour or so, UV should take care of it.

This might not be the best way to clean a razor but I am pretty sure that if something survived, it deserves to live!

Cheers, Luc
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

Luc,
    Thanks for these posts. I thought this question might have already been answered. However, I cannot figure out where the "search" engine is on B&B, if indeed there is one. Again, thanks for your help.
    Fred

If you look at the stickies at the top of this forum, you will find a sticky posted on the cleaning of razors.

Regards,
    Tom

You gotta love Mantic's videos. He is the best proselytizer of wetshaving ever. That being said, I use scrubbing bubbles and things like Simple Green on my gold plated razors without a concern. Just rinse it well.

Hoos is offline scintillating personality, rapier wit, and debonair continentalism
    Images

The B&B Wiki is your friend. It's all our friend.
    Brent