What's new

My first custom knife

I have been wanting a knife for use while canoe camping. After doing some searching, looking at hundreds of designes, I settled on this Model IX from Eddie White of Shadow Knives.

http://www.shadowknives.com/

He was very decent to deal with and after a few exchanges discussing design changes from the stock knife, the deal was struck. 2 weeks from order to receipt. I can tell you that my photos don't do it justice. The Blade is 4" long, intended for canoe camping and bushcraft type duty.

thanks guys.

The steel is cm154 and the handle material is red linen micarta. It does look like wood in the photos, though doesn't it?

Congrats on your first custom knife. I've been collecting them for about 12 years now, and have really enjoyed some of the pieces that have come and gone in my collection. It's been very cool getting to know some of the guys that have made my knives. What are you looking for next?

I guess I am not looking for anything else at this point. I wanted a rugged knife that could handle getting wet. didn't like the rambo type knives. Was looking for something that really appealed to me and this one fit the bill.

I will be using the knife, come spring and my first camping trip of the season.

thanks for the nice comments. I am anxious for spring thaw so I can give it a try. right now the rivers and lakes are all frozen over, so canoe trips in this area will have to wait. I will have to make a lanyard for it sometime before then.

nice blade!! don't think we can carry fixed blades here in CA.......

We can, but it has to be visible if the blade is 4 inches or longer.
Under 4, it can be slipped into a boot or wherever you like.

Sexy knife, want to get some micarta for my W&B scales now:w00t:

Very nice.

It reminds me of some of the knives made by Grohman (Canadian knife-maker)- basic, well-though out design, good materials - not flashy, but very functional.

Use it well.

Mike, what Canoe do you use?

Jim:

I have a Nova Craft Pal. 16' great all-a-rounder. Easy to paddle solo or tandem. 900 pound capacity. It is one of the original Chestnut Canoe Company designs that has been resurrected by NC.

What changes did you have him make?

The stock knife is high hollow ground all the way to the spine and is made of 1/8" stock with no lanyard hole. To make it more rugged, he used 5/32" stock and did not take the hollow grind all the way to the spine. Less belly and more spear in the profile and a lined lanyard hole. The thicker stock and the lined lanyard hole each cost an extra $5 and the other changes were done at no additional charge. He is really a very nice guy and easy to work with. The 1/8 inch stock would have been fine for me as I likely won't be pounding it through fire wood as is common with the bushcrafter type knife.

Last edited:
Very nice indeed. Canoe camping has given rise to its own genre of knife. This is the sort of all purpose knife that can cut line, get wet, shave some fine kindling for the fire, cut the steak and spread peanut butter from a jar. Very nice choice. Nice canoe too.

Top Bottom