What's new

Long Handled Shaving Brushes

I am currently having a conversation with my father-in-law regarding shaving brushes (he is a wood worker as a hobby) and wants to try and make me a shaving brush.

We have a question as to why some shaving brushes have long handles and others have short, stumpy handles. Is it a question of function or personal choice?
Thanks!

I think it's both function and personal choice. Longer handles, as well as those with different features, give you the ability to hold the brush in several different configurations if you so choose. Holding the handle differently can reduce fatigue as well...Some people have bigger hands than others, so that can play a factor too. Others just prefer a smaller brush (or a larger one). Hope that helps.

Most people find the longer-handled brushes more comfortable. Just a few good examples are the Simpson's Polo and Tulip models, and the Rooney 3 series.

You'll hear a lot of people praising the Simpson's Chubbys or Rooney Stubbys (and they are great brushes) but it's usually for their dense knots and short lofts, not for the shapes of their (short and stubby) handles.

If I were a woodworker looking for inspiration, I'd look at a Polo, Tulip, Rooney 3 or something similar. A long-handled brush.

I think it is personal taist as well. But they say, bigger is always better. Personally I like larger, longer handles. One reason is I have big hands and it just feels right, second, a larger handle shows off the wood or resin better because there is more to see of it. JMO

Depends on how deep the coffee cup is that I’m using as a vintage shaving vessel and how much of the puck is left in the bottom. :w00t:

Here's a matching brush and razor I just made for a client.
proxy.php

It is very attractive! I could use something like that to lather in a bucket! Hey, there's an idea! I am going to pitch that to Sara and see if it would sell. I can see it now, you could either buy the Moss Scuttle or the Thomas Bucket:biggrin:

Now that's a long handle! :w00t: What's next, a silvertip broom?

Seriously, though, I do like it. Great looking brush. :thumbup1:

~Jeff

I think the longer handles are more suited to usage by a Barber ... putting lather on someone else's face looks like it would be easier with that size of a brush.

i swapped my scuttle with someone because it was too deep. therefor i would have needed a longer one. always looking after a heritage victorian. nice nice brush, but then decided to change my scuttle.

Top Bottom