Thread: electric mug warmer??

Question electric mug warmer??

I'm sure i'm not the first one to think of this.........but has anyone tried one of those electric coffee mug warmers to keep their shave mug and lather toasty?? Just wondering.
    Thanks,
    J
    "I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart."
    E.E. Cummings

I tried one for a time, but it didn't seem to help. The mug I was using at the time was much larger than what I use now. I might have to try it again.

Then there is the part about the electric mug warmer next to the sink full of water...

Images

My concern would be getting the lather and brush too hot. Too much heat can cause your lather to dry out and could possibly damage the bristles on your brush.

You know, kinda like singeing your eyebrows from sticking your head inside the propane grill while you lit it as a child. What can I say, I got really excited to ignite the grill and just kept pushing the button while looking down into the grill to see what would happen.

Images

Some have found that the warmer gets too warm. resulting in an uncomfortably hot lather, or a lather that breaks down in the mug.
    ~Jon~
    BBS Challenged

Member of the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey custom Brush Buy
    I gave to Soap For Hope
    I survived the 2011 B&B Upgrade

Images

I use a candle warmer from Michaels's and it works out great! In the Denver area they have weekly 40% off coupons in the Sunday paper so the cost is a couple of $$

Well, tried it again with my smaller bowl last night. Really all that I noticed is that the warmer made it uncomfortably warm to hold the bottom of a bowl with no handle.

I use something like this mini fondue set sometimes, the candle underneath heats the shaving cream and its good that no electricity is required.

I use an adjustable heat setting mug warmer set on low and a really heavy ceramic mug. Works great!

The water comes out of the tap more than hot enough to heat my shaving mug and the shave cream. In fact sometimes just letting my shave mug sit in the hot water it gets almost too hot to hold. I wouldn't want my lather any hotter. I have however, read several other posts regarding this method for heating the shave mug/lather. All I do is fill my shave mug and the sink with hot water and let it sit while I shower. After I get out of the shower I drain the sink and empty the mug and refill. Then itís ready to shave.

Images

the crock pot method:
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...345#post786345

I used to use a candle mug warmer with a second bowl filled with water under my shaving bowl (to act as a water jacket) but the results were not predictable and it was too much of a hassle.

I got myself a plastic bowl with a lid for $1.50.

I build my lather in it (it's sweet as the brush handle makes no noise hitting plastic walls of the bowl), leave the brush inside and put the lid on.

Then I put it in a larger bowl filled with the hottest water my tap can graciously provide. Actually, the larger bowl is like a food thermos with a lid.

The lid of the plastic bowl is a cool trick as the moisture gets trapped inside and the lather does not dry out.

My lather stays usable for very long.
    Blade you wish to tame? Your Mileage Will Be The Same: no-pressure mornings

Images

I always wanted to use the double-boiler technique to keep my lather warm, but couldn't locate bowls or mugs that worked well together.

So I picked up a mug warmer at Bed Bath & Beyond. I've used it for a couple of years now and it works great.

The lather can be a bit too warm by the end of the shave. I work around that by swirling the brush around the lather bowl, to cool it off just a bit. And the lather sometimes dries out just a bit. When that happens I add a few drops of water.

It's not perfect, but it works well and it's better than cold lather.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by VFR79 View Post
    My concern would be getting the lather and brush too hot. Too much heat can cause your lather to dry out and could possibly damage the bristles on your brush.

You know, kinda like singeing your eyebrows from sticking your head inside the propane grill while you lit it as a child. What can I say, I got really excited to ignite the grill and just kept pushing the button while looking down into the grill to see what would happen.
    Just be careful not to get it too hot. You really can fry the delicate tips of a badger brush by applying too much heat.
    Gafer

Images

This is a tea pot with an infusion drop-in. I fill the cup with boling water and let my brush sit on the drop-in.
    It's very inexpensive. Here's the complete review.
    Dietmar

Images

Tried it... didn't really do anything for me.