What's new

Fine Tea

I feel compelled to post to this thread since it is what brought me to this great site.

I too up and went to SpecialTeas and placed an order-Oolong sampler, Beehouse pot, infusion bags for work, a few tins for storage. I haven't brewed any of the Oolong yet, but the sample Irish Breakfast Blend (#803) that ST included as a freebie is quite delicious at the moment. I can't wait to try the Oolongs and am itching to go back to ST and order their green and darjeeling samplers.

hello scotto,

long time no hear...

anyways, i have several questions i hope you can answer so here goes...

first, you state that charles' QED tea is not really different from teas available elsewhere.

second, you state that upton teas are past their prime.

so my question is this:

would you please recommend a source for Spring White Dragon Jasmine Pearls.

you gave a great review of the jasmine pearls from upton's though that was dated almost 5 years ago (before their teas started to head south).

also, some jasmine pearls are labelled as green tea while others are labelled as white. as i understood it, all jasmine pearls were supposed to be white tea (the bud and first 2 leaflets only). if possible, would you provide some clarification.

thanks,
mike

I find Upton's teas past their prime; I stopped ordering from them some years ago. As for Charles' tea, it is nice enough, but not so different in quality from stuff you can find elsewhere.

I notice across the board over the past couple of years that the availability of the really high end stuff seems to be decreasing. Not sure if that is due to increased demand, reduced production, or something else.

Hi Mike. The "pearl" shape is a confusing nomenclature, and often shows up under green tea listings at distributors, though technically they are white teas. The main difference being that very young leaf and bud sets are used for the pearls, with no oxidation, which technically makes them white teas. Green teas use older leaves, and are often fired to stop the oxidation process. Some of the best jasmine pearls I have had are from In Pursuit of Tea - they have the regular (unscented) "dragon pearls" as well as the jasmine pearls you are looking for. I have also had the Phoenix Pearls from SpecialTeas, which are also lovely. I am sure you would be pleased with either.

Imperial Tea Court also sells them. After years of skepticism, I have purchased some stuff from them over the past year and have been impressed with the quality, though their prices can sometimes be very high, and I don't like their packaging.

scotto,

much appreciation for your quick response.

also, what was the reason for the skepticism regarding ITC.

thanks,
mike

Hi Mike. The "pearl" shape is a confusing nomenclature, and often shows up under green tea listings at distributors, though technically they are white teas. The main difference being that very young leaf and bud sets are used for the pearls, with no oxidation, which technically makes them white teas. Green teas use older leaves, and are often fired to stop the oxidation process. Some of the best jasmine pearls I have had are from In Pursuit of Tea - they have the regular (unscented) "dragon pearls" as well as the jasmine pearls you are looking for. I have also had the Phoenix Pearls from SpecialTeas, which are also lovely. I am sure you would be pleased with either.

Imperial Tea Court also sells them. After years of skepticism, I have purchased some stuff from them over the past year and have been impressed with the quality, though their prices can sometimes be very high, and I don't like their packaging.

Their prices seemed very inflated, primarily. After being chided (on this board somewhere, in fact :wink: ) for not dealing with them, I decided to put my money where my mouth was and order some stuff. I very pleased with the tea, but the packages they send them in are not resealable, unlike every other vendor out there. They seem to have tempered their offerings with more reasonably priced fare over the past year or two, and I would do business with them more if IPOT and SpecialTeas weren't so close to me as to get here next day.

A co-worker of mine brought me a few green tea samples today and included a small sample of the following. She did not know what it was as the package it came in only had Chinese writing on it. I think she received it as a gift so was not sure what is was either as she didn't purchase it directly. She said she steeps it for about 5 min. and the taste is somewhat acquired.

Does anybody have any idea what this is? Certainly it's not tea leaves. More like little dried buds.

proxy.php

It is actually little pods, not rolled leaves like gunpowder. Not sure I can get a closer shot with my DC.

Set your camera on it's highest resolution and take a picture as close as possible. Enlarge just a small portion of the picture that shows one or two of those buds. Post the enlargement.

I think the chamomile guess is a good one. Note the little stems coming str8 out of the buds.

I received some Harney's as a gift. Anyone have any thoughts on their product?

Scotto, the teas I received came from their store up in your neck of the woods. Been there? Is it worth a visit? I also understand that a new tea shop has opened in Scarsdale- if you're ever in that area. I don't have the name handy, but will pay a visit.

Jordan

Harney runs the gamut from some truly mediocre teas to some very good ones. I am fond of some of their black tea (breakfast) mixtures, but their varietals I find below average.

Their teahouse is quite nice and relaxing. Worth a stop in if you are nearby.

Top Bottom