What's new

opinions of AOS Lavender soap?

I just received the lavender, the only AoS product I have tried. The scent is different than what I expected and I don't know how to describe it. Let me put it this way. Both Castle Forbes and AoS are supposed to use Lavender essential oil but the scents are no where near alike. Its not unpleasant but when I first opened it I thought maybe I had been sent something other than lavender. The puck is kind of a yellow color and I thought maybe it was the lemon scent. The package said lavender though so I just went ahead and used it. It does work great. Mounds of lather with very little effort, slick and smooth. I got a great shave. I have only used it that one time so far but will be using it more next week.

This just might be one of my favorite soaps.

You will spend a lot of money trying to find one better. I have. Tabac may have it beat in performance, but it is close and the scent is much nicer.

I think of it as a creamy kind of lavender scent. I use the lemon and sandlewood soap also, and like the lavender the best.

It has become a simple go to product for important day shaves. I think it works best when you let your brush soak in the sink. I shake the brush and let the brush's water retention do all the work. No extra water needed to achieve some very rich stuff.

Some say that this is the same as volabra and volabra is cheaper so buy volabra. Well, I finally ordered a volabra stick and tried it for two weeks and it is not the same product. The volabra's lather is skimpy in every way.

I have it and like it a lot. I also have the Sandalwood and like it a lot more:biggrin1: They both work great. Very lubricating

This just might be one of my favorite soaps.

You will spend a lot of money trying to find one better. I have. Tabac may have it beat in performance, but it is close and the scent is much nicer.

I think of it as a creamy kind of lavender scent. I use the lemon and sandlewood soap also, and like the lavender the best.

It has become a simple go to product for important day shaves. I think it works best when you let your brush soak in the sink. I shake the brush and let the brush's water retention do all the work. No extra water needed to achieve some very rich stuff.

Some say that this is the same as volabra and volabra is cheaper so buy volabra. Well, I finally ordered a volabra stick and tried it for two weeks and it is not the same product. The volabra's lather is skimpy in every way.

How did you lather the volabra?

First off, AOS soaps are my absolute favorite soap. Overpriced? Perhaps. But when compared to other "high end" soap the price isn't really out of line. And for my money AOS shaves better (just my opinion)

I have the Lavender, Sandalwood, and Unscented. The performance of each is identical, with the only difference being scent. The AOS soaps have a rich earthy/organic/tallow odor and the essential oil (lavender, sandalwood, or lemon) is just along for the ride. To my nose the lavender and sandalwood are to die for :drool::drool::drool:.

Regarding petr's comments about Valobra. For me, the Valobra shave soap stick (not the Valobra soap/cream) and AOS soap have identical lather. I do not find the lather skimpy in any way.

Last edited:
AoS Lavender is one of my very favorite. There is post here somewhere on wich Valobra admits that they do not manufacture AoS soap.
Enjoy it and all the flavors performs excellent

AoS Lavender is one of my very favorite. There is post here somewhere on wich Valobra admits that they do not manufacture AoS soap.
Enjoy it and all the flavors performs excellent

I am going to do a search for this, but could you post a link?

How did you lather the volabra?

I tried it on using the stick on the face and then when I grew tired of that mess with no obvious results I milled it into a wood bowl.

With the performance of aos soaps and tabac I guess I have little patience with thin lather. It cuts faster for sure if that is your thing, but my skin said no.

I tried it on using the stick on the face and then when I grew tired of that mess with no obvious results I milled it into a wood bowl.

With the performance of aos soaps and tabac I guess I have little patience with thin lather. It cuts faster for sure if that is your thing, but my skin said no.

As I'm looking at maybe picking up some AOS, would you liken the performance to Tabac? I've used neither so have no reference point.

Thanks

The scent lends to lemonier (as opposed to the mintier) sorts of Lavender. Its pure lavender rendered creamier to the amount of tallow in there. Astonishing moisturization from this soap.

. . . There is post here somewhere on wich Valobra admits that they do not manufacture AoS soap . . .

I, myself, wouldn't believe them if they claimed this. If they're not producing AOS's shaving soap someone using nearly the identical formula for their shave stick is.

Chris

Top Bottom