What's new

New African American member seeking tips

Today was very interesting.

First, my wife caught me before my morning shower and exclaims, "Wow, your neck is really improving". A quick look in the mirror confirms this. Even though I thought the Skin Tight solution hit a wall, I continued applying it daily and now my skin is about 90-95% bump free.

Nice :thumbup1:

I started using Skin Tight Extra Strength two weeks ago, twice a day (the package suggests 3 times a day) and I've used half the 4 fl oz bottle.

Now I believe my face is truly ready for a DE blade. I don't want to be a slave to Skin Tight, so hopefully the DE shave will keep me clear.

Second, I found the Bump Fighter razor at Walmart this afternoon. I went there looking for fishing lures and saw the razor sitting on a box in the sporting goods section, so I purchased it.

If DE shaving somehow aggravates the bumps again, I'll use the bump fighter razor and Skin Tight to get them under control.

Pay It Forward, as I understand it, is a concept where one member of this board helps out without charge another member that is usually new or newer at this whole wet-shaving hobby. The unspoken understanding is that someday, if you are in a position to help out another member (i.e. by donating some no longer used items), you would do so in the spirit of continuing to 'pay it forward'. That's what makes this board so great in my opinion.

I like that concept. I believe I may have a few after shaves and creams I can share with others as well.

Thanks for the offer, cammyfive, but as noted above, I found the Bump Fighter razors and I think my bump problem is currently under control, so I'll let another member benefit from your generosity.

Later, guys.

Welcome to B&B!
As another African-American member, I always enjoy coming here to seek and gain additional knowledge. You have been getting some excellent advice here and you will soon find that it doesn't ever end. I would like to suggest that you pay very careful attention to the sticky posts regarding prep and lather building techniques. One other thing that I found to be extremely helpful was to learn correct angle by using a disposable SINGLE BLADED shaver. After a lot of searching I chose the Bic Metal Guard as my "training wheel". I couldn't find them in any stores so I ordered some from Amazon. I got a dozen packs of five (60 shavers total). I started out getting 2 - 3 shaves out of each one, but soon began to toss them after one shave only. I don't get BBS, and I really don't expect to even with the DE. I am very pleased to get what is abbreviated to be a DFS (Damn Fine Shave) almost every time. But, prep and good lather building technique cannot be overstressed. I shave at night and only every other day, but the advice about giving yourself a mild exfoliation with a brush or mild loofah or pad is something I agree with strongly. I will generally do that on the morning I plan to shave. Beyond that I avoid washing my face with soap on a daily basis because it does dry my skin.
Also I limit myself to only two shaving creams. My personal preferences are Nancy Boy (I have both the Signature and Replenishing) and Castle Forbes Lavendar. There is a learning curve with every aspect of wet shaving. You will discover how to do each of the things best for yourself, but all of them are equally important. It all begins and ends with skin care though. Whatever happens, you will find yourself here often. The learning never ends, and in time you will find yourself sharing what you have learned on your own with others.
My best to you.

Mason

Last edited:
I received the Slim Handle from a B&B member today. The razor is in great shape but it is much smaller than I imagined.
I also received a message from the online store I purchased the HD from. They advised the razor was actually back ordered. I believe I could have been advised earlier, so I canceled my complete order and will purchase a sampler blade package from another online dealer.

I will use the Slim Handle exclusively for awhile before purchasing a second razor. Who knows, I might not need another razor.

ProphetNoir:

Thanks for sharing your tips and experiences.

You're lucky, Dawg. That Slim is a phenomenal razor; don't believe all the Merkur hype.

Pretty as it is, the HD will disappoint you after you've played around with the Slim.

I hope you're correct, Boyextraordinare.

I love the build of the slim handle. I believe if I drop it in the shower it will break the floor tiles.

As of this moment, I'm practicing my technique without a blade :wink:

I ordered the $13.75 sampler pack, Proraso and Taylor of Old Bond St shaving creams from West Coast Shaving, based on reviews and suggestions here on B&B.

Any day now....

Top Bottom