What's new

Socks

One day recently I realized that my socks were so thin that I could feel the wood on the floor through the material. My wife reminded me that they were all bought 7 years ago. Whoops, time really flies.

I dress mostly casually and all my socks were from Patagonia, 100% cotton.

So this time around I decided to try some Thorlos. I got a few pairs of them at REI, light hiking model, forget the material but it is something manmade. Pricey at $15/pair but very comfortable.

Well, it turns out my formerly fragrance-free feet now stink like archetypal smelly feet. Must be something about the material. Might have to switch to something from Smartwool.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Ive never really had that problem. I buy Thorlos in two different colors and two different models. I have about 16 pairs total. Usually buying them online is a great deal cheaper. If you want some places shoot me a PM.

When it comes to socks be they for dress, casual and work I now never buy ones made from cotton. The reason is cotton holds the sweat/perspiration which can make for odor and raw skin. The solution that works for me is wool or wool/polyester blends etc. The result is my feet are dryer and cooler after a long day.

David

Synthetics, they don't breathe that well,
hence the sometimes awful smell.
I have found that wool that thinks
Can prevent your feet from stinks.

Bad rhymes aside, a liberal dose of foot powder in both the shoes & socks helps.

Regardless of the socks you use,
You might want to check your shoes.
Socks of wool, a blend, or cotton
in shoes that don't breathe all smell rotten.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

One day recently I realized that my socks were so thin that I could feel the wood on the floor through the material. My wife reminded me that they were all bought 7 years ago. Whoops, time really flies.

I dress mostly casually and all my socks were from Patagonia, 100% cotton.

So this time around I decided to try some Thorlos. I got a few pairs of them at REI, light hiking model, forget the material but it is something manmade. Pricey at $15/pair but very comfortable.

Well, it turns out my formerly fragrance-free feet now stink like archetypal smelly feet. Must be something about the material. Might have to switch to something from Smartwool.

I would definitely go for the Smartwool, although a bit pricey, I have had no issues with them at all. Extremely comfortable and they seem to wick sweat and allow my feet to breathe in any condition. Pair them up with some Gore-Tex XCR shoes and my feet feel fantastic. I use the lightweight Hiking Crew sock almost everyday and would highly recommend them. Their new lifestyle/dress socks also work pretty well.

I use Smartwool for casual socks and Pantherella for work. Always wool. Works well for me, though I rotate my shoes to reduce the build-up of smell as much as possible as well. Oh, and there are the cedar shoe-trees fighting the good fight in addition to that.

Last edited:
That should help with the foot odour.

Trouble is with me, I sweat heaps through my feet. In fact I have really hot hands and feet - but no matter what type of sock I use, I end up with quite a pronounced roquefort tang to the air whenever I remove my shoes and socks.

Top Bottom