What's new

Absinthe

I've always wanted to try Absinthe, but the "real" kind is outlawed in the U.S.

I want to see the Green Fairy! My intent isn't really to trip out (although I'm open to new things!), I just want to have the real absinthe experience, with the sugar spoon and ice drip. It looks fun and exotic! (sake, on the other hand, I did not care for)

What are some good types of absinthe that I could try and track down? I know the "Absinte" stuff the sell in the states is not the real deal, and doesn't contain the "thujone" (sp?) that "real" absinthe does. Where to begin?

I have been drinking absinthe for years. What is sold as "absinthe" in the US is missing the wormwood, which has the crucial ingredient thujone. You can, however, buy it overseas and have it shipped to you. The legality is a little unclear, but the US seems to have no interest whatsoever in pursuing those people who buy the "real" stuff overseas and import it for personal use. Also, I don't think they have a problem with those who make the real stuff, as long as it's just for personal use. The only issue is importing it, or making it, in order to sell it to others.

One thing that you should know about absinthe is that you don't really "trip out". Thujone is NOT a hallucinogenic. I have had a LOT of absinthe over the years and have never had any sort of visions. Thujone is, chemically speaking, pretty analogous to THC (the active ingredient in marijuana). I can't exactly describe what the absinthe effect is, but I can say it is substantially different from being drunk. It is very fun. I enjoy the experience, I enjoy the ritual of preparing it, and I really enjoy the taste.

Dang....Now I want a glass of absinthe. :biggrin:

I have been drinking absinthe for years. What is sold as "absinthe" in the US is missing the wormwood, which has the crucial ingredient thujone. You can, however, buy it overseas and have it shipped to you. The legality is a little unclear, but the US seems to have no interest whatsoever in pursuing those people who buy the "real" stuff overseas and import it for personal use. Also, I don't think they have a problem with those who make the real stuff, as long as it's just for personal use. The only issue is importing it, or making it, in order to sell it to others.

One thing that you should know about absinthe is that you don't really "trip out". Thujone is NOT a hallucinogenic. I have had a LOT of absinthe over the years and have never had any sort of visions. Thujone is, chemically speaking, pretty analogous to THC (the active ingredient in marijuana). I can't exactly describe what the absinthe effect is, but I can say it is substantially different from being drunk. It is very fun. I enjoy the experience, I enjoy the ritual of preparing it, and I really enjoy the taste.

Dang....Now I want a glass of absinthe. :biggrin:

You know he's right. Especially about the ritualistic part. You have to trust a guy from a town called Pflugerville. If he was a liar he would say he was from Austin, like a normal person.:biggrin:

I am not sure but I think there are a couple of domestic places that can hook you up with a bottle of real absinthe. Look around.

The thujone ban was lifted a few years ago, you can now get it at 10mg/kg for liquor and 35mg/kg for alcohol labeled as bitters.
All of the preban stuff pretty much was between 10-35mg/kg anyways.

The real secret to the absinthe trip is 1 part romanticism, 1 part placebo and 70% ABV.

I've got three bottles I brought back from Italy and the UK, plus a bottle I drank while in Italy, and still I'm pretty sure it's the strength and speed at which it's drunk rather than the thujone that makes it different.

I've had Versinthe Blanche, La Fée, Seebor and Xenta. All quite different, for taste I prefered La Fée, for "effect" Versinthe Blanche.

Although I just consider it a different drunk, just like a beer drunk is different than a red wine drunk than a tequila drunk.

I've never actually set it on fire, just sugar cube and ice water for me thanks.

I've been wanting to try Absinthe for a while myself. Question is, if the real stuff is legal now, where can I buy it in the U.S.

Also, where is a reliable place to order it from overseas?

There was a thread about absinthe awhile back and I got the impression that Bluestaco was quite the aficionado on absinthe, maybe he'll chime in.

I have tried La Fee (Bohemian & original), Pernod Absinthe, Logan Fils, and some others I can't quite remember. Out of all of them, I prefer Pernod Absinthe. BUT, be sure when you order it that it has the wormwood! Pernod (the brandname) actually sell a version of it's absinthe without the wormwood. The difference is, that it isn't called absinthe. The bottles look almost identical, though.

I don't believe the real absinthe (with wormwood) is sold in the US. I do believe you have to buy it online and have it shipped overseas from Europe. This will make it kind of pricey. On average, I was spending about $45-$50/bottle (including shipping), back when I was having it regularly.

Absinthe is legal in the US, as of just a few months ago AFIK.

I have tried it, I love it, just a bit pricey to go for a whole bottle.

Beverages and More (bevmo.com) sells a variety, and will ship online too I believe(unless you live in a ABC state like N.Carolina)

I experienced no Ill effects, and I happen to love the taste of anise/fennel.

However, be prepared for some trippy dreams if you drink it before nodding off.
Some of my most VIVID, and lucid dreams were had after imbibing.:thumbup1:
Including a zombie movie type dream where I spent the entire dream sniping zombies with a high powered rifle from the safety of a frond end loader bucket about 50 feet in the air. :w00t::lol:

i have half a bottle of Pere Kermann's Absinthe left which a friend brought back from a holiday in France (i seem to remember it was banned in the UK, but not anymore)
60% vol
alcohol
water
aroma
wormwood infusion
sugar
colouring
E133 - E102

had some good fun with the sugar and flames if i remember right

if you get the chance to watch the film "From Hell" with Johnny Depp there is a scene where he is in an opium den drinking Absinthe but the sugar cube is laced with Laudanem ( he plays a policeman trying to catch Jack the Ripper London 1888) that would certainly lead to a trip!!:eek2:

if you get the chance to watch the film "From Hell" with Johnny Depp there is a scene where he is in an opium den drinking Absinthe but the sugar cube is laced with Laudanem ( he plays a policeman trying to catch Jack the Ripper London 1888) that would certainly lead to a trip!!:eek2:

I have seen that scene. My absinthe routine is very similar (minus the laudanum). I put the spoon over the glass with two sugar cubes on it. I pour the absinthe over the sugar (to make sure the cubes are completely saturated) and into the glass until it is about one third full. I then light the absinthe infused sugar and let the sugar carmelize for about 10-20 seconds. When the sugar has almost completely melted, I pour freezing cold water over the sugar and into the glass. The water helps the remainder of the sugar dissolve and the coldness causes the oils to separate out of the absinthe and turn the somewhat emerald green liquid into a milky white (the "louche"). After filling the rest of the cup, I use the spoon to stir it for a while, to dissolve all the sugar. Sadly, sugar doesn't dissolve all that well in cold water, so it takes a little bit.

The amazing thing about the scene in "From Hell" is that Depp doesn't dilute the absinthe at all! That would be WAY too strong. Absinthe is 136 proof when undiluted. That's 68% alcohol! That's another reason for the water -- to cut the strength down a bit.

FYI-

Steer clear of any Czech-made absinthe. Stick with French, Swiss and even Spanish. I have never had any problems shipping a few bottles over at a time. If you want a reasonably priced absinthe I really like Deva from Spain. It is light and rather tasty. Liqueurs de France is a reputable seller online.

Absinthe is now legal in the US but it is still rather on the pricey side. One also needs to steer clear of those bottles marked "absinth"- these tend to be imitations of the real stuff.

If you want to try the thujune-free version I would recommend Herbsaint from NOLA. It makes a great pastis that will kick your butt...all for less than $15/bottle.

And nix the fire.

I put the spoon over the glass with two sugar cubes on it. I pour the absinthe over the sugar (to make sure the cubes are completely saturated) and into the glass until it is about one third full. I then light the absinthe infused sugar and let the sugar carmelize for about 10-20 seconds. When the sugar has almost completely melted, I pour freezing cold water over the sugar and into the glass.

What size of glass/total volume of drink are we talking about?

And nix the fire.

Why, in particular? Not that I disagree, as I have no experience with absinthe ... just curious.

Well, now that I think about it, if anyone here is going to be lighting the sugar on fire, you need to make sure you have a really thick glass goblet and be careful not to let the flame drip down into the glass. If the flame lights the absinthe on fire, the glass will heat up a lot. When you pour the ice cold water in, it can crack the glass. I've had that happen just once in all the time I've been drinking absinthe, and it happened when I was using a pretty thin glass goblet.

If it does catch the absinthe on fire just blow it out quickly and let it cool down for a bit. Also, as you're dealing with a very strong alcohol and flame, it would obviously be prudent to be in the kitchen, or anywhere else that wouldn't be too dangerous if there was an accident.

Then again, people who are drawn to drinking absinthe like a little risk in their lives. :wink:

Traditional preparation of absinthe does not include lighting the cube aflame. This little addition is believed to have come out of the Czech pseudo-absinthe revival of the 1990s. Much like the product that comes out of the Czech Republic it has very little to do with tradition of absinthe.

But hey, if you like to do it, keep on enjoying it. There is no crime in it. And, I must admit, it does look pretty cool in the movies.

Tommy C

that's exactly the way we did it but a'la Depp we didn't dilute, not for any macho reason, just that the guy that introduced us to it did it this way.

Hando

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Sebor was involved in a some capacity as sort of an advisor for the absinthe scenes in From Hell. No wonder they got it all screwed up. Kind of like getting shaving hints from the fine folks at the Rolling Razor. :eek:

Alright so I'm on absintheonline.com This is what came up when I googled "liquers de france." Is this an ok website to buy Absinthe from?

Top Bottom