What's new

Cigar - Romeo y Julieta Romeo No 2 - feedback

Greetings. Celebrating my retirement as a Royal Australian Air Force Officer, I decided i would sit on the SW side of my property at sundown and enjoy my a cigar with some Johnnie Walker Blue (I know, not a single malt :wink:).

I enjoyed the whiskey, I did NOT enjoy the cigar. :nonod: It was lit in accordance with any afficiando. Draw was good, burn ash etc. For me, it was not much better than licking an ash tray (after the smoke) and during the smoke, no better than a cigarette so far as flavour, aroma and linger/finish. It was so unpleasant I extinquished it and I am still trying to remove the after-smell from my nose.

Is this typical? Will a PUNCH Petit Corona Coronation. Is this likely to be similar to the above unpleasant experience? In a word, disgusting. 2 words add regretable

I enjoy Romeo #2's every now and then - though i didnt get any ashtray taste, perhaps you got a bad one? (or perhaps I have no taste)

Are you a regular cigar smoker?

You want a good celebratory cigar? Try a La Aurora 1903 Preferidos Platinum or Ruby Tubo (Platinum = Cameroon wrap, ruby is Maduro -- there are 3 others too.)

proxy.php

Anyway, it's not a Cuban, but it is probably the best cigar I've had in my somewhat limited experience. (Been smoking cigars for about a year)

No, not a regular smoker. "Smoking is a health hazard". However I have enjoyed Cubans (usually dark wrapper) and also the odd Danneman. This was a standout disappointment.

BrushRanger,

DId it have any age on it? Most Habanos do not start getting good until they are over a year or two old.

But it could have just been a bad one.

DL

Ironically I have a couple of No. 2's in the humidor right now. Cannot wait to smoke them because they smell great. Hopefully your experience was a one off.

DL: Yes, it had 5 years on it. This was the biggest factor of my disappointment.

ant4177: Mine also smelled great. Pull one out and smoke. I hope your experience will be the one I was seeking. Let me know!

The guys at my local cigar shop like to push the Davidoff Millenium. It's a fine cigar, but pricey.

Jose Seijas Signatures are also fine smokes for special occasions.

My personal favorite is the CAO 787... pleasant flavor, not too strong, and not out of my price range.

--Mark

I was going to comment that the few R&J's I've had have also not really been to my liking - tight draw, poor taste, etc. Then I realized the discussion was centered around the Habanos R&J. So...I'll just throw out a :thumbsup: to add a little value to this post. :biggrin:

DL: Yes, it had 5 years on it. This was the biggest factor of my disappointment.QUOTE]

I have also had issues with Cuban cigars, not limited to any particular brand; that's why I now prefer Dominicans. My personal favorite cigar is an Arturo Fuente 8-5-8, inexpensive, plentiful and outstanding.

Too bad your celebratory smoke was a poor one.

Just out of curiosity regarding those who've had bad experiences with Habanos. Were you aware of the "sick" period that they supposedly go through? I don't know the reasons why (supply/demand issues? a Cuban quirk? lack of storage space?), but I do believe that the Cubans ship their cigars very shortly after rolling, where as the rest of the South and Central American manufacturers age their stock for a significant amount of time (6 months - x years) before shipping.

Seeing as I have zero Cuban cigar knowledge, I just thought I'd throw that out there as food for thought.

The beverage you sip while smoking, as well as whatever you had to eat prior to lighting up, will have an effect on the taste of the cigar.

Some cigars pair better than others with certain drinks and foods ... for example, what I have found:

H. Upmann goes well with coffee. Paul Garmerian or Fonseca is best enjoyed after a heavy meal, like a big steak. La Gloria with a sweet drink like cognac. Chateau Fuente goes well with just about anything.

Its been a long time since I smoked an R&J, so I don't recall exactly what they taste like. But the one's I have smoked were very, very good. Before you dismiss it as a bad cigar, look at the other tastes on your tongue at the time.

And congrats on your retirement ... that Johnnie Blue sounds nice! I have in mind to get a bottle in July, 2014. I won't be retiring then, but I can't think of a better way to celebrate my 60th birthday than with some 60yo Scotch. (Besides, Johnnie Black is my every-day favorite.)

You definitely got a bad one. Or maybe counterfeit? Those are rampant too.

R&J cubanas are some of my favorites and I've had a lot. They're delicate, not ashy, thats my favorite thing about them.

Try another! I wouldnt think R&J's would react badly to Blue, as they're pretty mellow.

I have a fondness for Diplomatico's too. (cause theyre cheapish.)

Try a Monte #2. I dont think I've ever had a bad one...

Corey...What is it I'm going to say here?????

Why, it'd be my most humble honor. Thank you, Ray. :wink:

Ok, listen up, people. Let's all just quit wasting everyones' time, stop talking and start doing. I want you all to drop whatever it is you're smoking and pick up a Padron 1964 Anniversario Maduro. What REAL men smoke!

Now. Let's call this one "a done deal."

Hrrrummmpppffff.

:lol:

I have a fondness for Diplomatico's too. (cause theyre cheapish.)

It has been to my experience that Diplomaticos cost the same as Montes. R&J does have a reputation in the Habano smoking community as not being the best Habano out there. With that being said, the EL Escudo is a darn good cigar. As far as Habanos go, I will stick primarily to Ramon Allones Specially Selected or just about anything from Partagas. I have never had a bad one.

Now for the age old question, are Habanos worth the hype and the risk? I think they are the best in the world. Yes the flavor profile is different. I am not saying that I don't smoke non-habanos because I do, I just think Habanos are better. We shall see what the future holds as a result of Cuba's two recent hurricanes.

Ray and Cory, if I was to open my humidor right now and grad a non- Habano, I would go for a Padron 64 Princepe every time.

Cheers!!!

DL

If it tasted that bad, several possiblities exist.

1-it's too full-bodied for you. I like the R&J 1875. Very smooth/

2 - Was it properly cared for prior to you smoking it?

Ok, listen up, people. Let's all just quit wasting everyones' time, stop talking and start doing. I want you all to drop whatever it is you're smoking and pick up a Padron 1964 Anniversario Maduro. What REAL men smoke!

Hrrrummmpppffff.

Cory...Thank you my friend...Well done sir, well done....:lol::lol::lol:

Hrrrummmpppffff.

Amen:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom