What's new

waterstones??

Hello, I am new, and have a straight razor on the mail. If I have a #6000 japenese water stone, will that work for honing? I have it already for my knives (i like my knifes to be scary sharp). Or do I need to get a #8000 stone??

thanks!

I don't know much about sharpening straight razors, I haven't made that step yet so I don't know if the 6000 grit will be fine enough.
However, my concern with a water stone would be if it is flat. Most water stones wear quickly. What do you do to flatten yours?

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not new to str8 razors. As far as you stone goes, it must be perfectly flat or lapped prior to sharpening a straight razor. I'm not sure about the japanese stones, I don't own any yet, but I hear they're very good, and are normally higher than what they list as, in other words, your 6000 may sharpen like a 8k or 10k, but as I said, I don't know anything about them.

I have Coticules, BBW, Nortons, Chinese 12k, various strops and pastes. I'd recommend a Norton 4k/8k combo. That will keep your razor honed. Also, Did you have your razor honed by a pro before it was shipped. I know many sites offer that service. Even though they're sold as "Shave Ready" They're not. Once you have it honed by a pro, you'll know how it should feel when it's properly honed.

The coticule stone i mentioned is a great stone as well, but they're a little pricey.
Assuming your razor is shave ready, a good quality strop for daily use is a must.
Other than that, You could invest in some chromium oxide paste, That would be one step up from your strop. Then you have Diamond Pastes. They work well, but cause some guys irritation.

P.S. I love how this forum lists me as a "Wannabe"

Last edited:
Ahhh, another Japanese waterstone fan! I don't go higher than 6000 with my knives, but one of my coworkers uses 4000 for sharpening, 8000 for honing, and 16000 for polishing his straight razor. If you have a quality knife shop nearby, have him sharpen your razor with a 16000 and see how you like it.

Ahhh, another Japanese waterstone fan! I don't go higher than 6000 with my knives, but one of my coworkers uses 4000 for sharpening, 8000 for honing, and 16000 for polishing his straight razor. If you have a quality knife shop nearby, have him sharpen your razor with a 16000 and see how you like it.

Finding some one local who can sharpen a knife properly is a tough proposition. Most place use high speed buffers or belt sanders and they end removing way to much metal and heating the blade up to an unacceptable level. Their is nothing wrong with either of those methods but it has been my experience that most sharpening services are trying to find the fastest way to sharpen your knife. Quality over quantity. Their are of course exceptions to this rule.
If you have a place local that does a good job and also uses 16000 water stones, well, lets just say I'm jealous:001_smile.

Top Bottom