What's new

i think i found the Pen

i was looking for a new fountain pen, and i think i found just the pen,

a waterman perspective,
found it cheaply on internet ink, a store in the UK, but they wont ship outside the british isles,
http://www.internet-ink.co.uk/waterman-perspective-pens/
but its nice enough, i´ll wait till next month and get it localy, probobly cost me somewhat more,

but it does look nice dosnt it ?

a waterman perspective,
found it cheaply on internet ink, a store in the UK, but they wont ship outside the british isles,
but its nice enough, i´ll wait till next month and get it localy, probobly cost me somewhat more,

It does indeed look very nice. If you can find someone to vouch for the site and Paypal me the cost of the pen I can get it and send it to you mate.

a waterman perspective,

Wow!

Waterman does make a nice FP. The nibs run pretty smooth, if a touch wide for me. I lean toward Lamy and Sailor.

I believe these pens have steel nibs - steel nibs at a gold-nib price.

There's nothing wrong with a good steel nib, but it doesn't (to me) make sense to spend this kind of coin on one - especially when for around the same price you can get a gold nib.

Also, these pens are somewhat narrow, so depending on your preferences, hand size, you might want to try one in the hand before buying if you can.

A very handsome pen indeed! I have had great luck with Waterman's, got a Phileas in my pocket right now AAMOF. They do run a little wide, so if you like a fine line, make sure you get a fine nib.

Might just be gold plated.

I have fountain pens with gold nibs and steel nibs. Some are good, some not so good, not all gold ones are as good as the steel ones.

I wouldn't let a steel nib put me off.

Gareth
It is indeed gold plated. I have a couple of Waterman's also with gold-plated steel nibs (Laureat, Expert II) , and they are solid, nice writers. So I definitely agree with Gareth, don't let the steel nib cause you to shy away from the pen!

thats the thing, i really really dislike the whole gold and black colour scheme, i think that the only company that can get away with it is mont blanc, and only becuase of tradition, on any other company it looks like a gift pen from a traveling salesman,

i had a cheap laquer Waterman in high school, a blue one which i usualy loaded with dark purple ink, i liked it alot and at some times it left like a 6th finger in my hand, that means alot from someone who hates handwriting,

thats the thing, i really really dislike the whole gold and black colour scheme, i think that the only company that can get away with it is mont blanc, and only becuase of tradition, on any other company it looks like a gift pen from a traveling salesman,

i had a cheap laquer Waterman in high school, a blue one which i usualy loaded with dark purple ink, i liked it alot and at some times it left like a 6th finger in my hand, that means alot from someone who hates handwriting,

This is so true for so many expensive pens. I wish more pen designers thought about the luxury implied by the way a pen felt and the quality of materials (depth of finish, translucence/grain or three dimensional appearance to the lacquer or plastics, ability to look good while being handled without requiring constant polishing) instead of just slapping together some gaudy, shiny metal and plastic and charging a lot for it because some poor guy had to polish it by hand or something. There's a lot to be said for understatement.

Might just be gold plated.

I have fountain pens with gold nibs and steel nibs. Some are good, some not so good, not all gold ones are as good as the steel ones.

I wouldn't let a steel nib put me off.

Gareth

It is gold plated.

As I said in my original post, there is nothing wrong with a steel nib - and yes, a good steel nib will write as well or better than a poorly made gold nib. But, especially in the finer, a good gold nib is much nicer to write with - especially if you do a lot of writing.

The issue I have with the pen in question is that, in my view, its crazy to buy a pen with a steel nib at this price point (effectively, you're paying for the bling and not the nib). This is especially the case when, for around the same amount, there are several really good gold-nibbed pens out there.

I'm also not a fan of the black/gold combo - with the exception of a few higher-end pens that carry it off well (i.e., the Pelikans, etc.).

i always thought that thats the reason why you never share a fountain pen, the nib bends and molds to your writing style, kind of a "burn in" for fountain pens, so the material of the nib affects that molding of the nib,

i always thought that thats the reason why you never share a fountain pen, the nib bends and molds to your writing style, kind of a "burn in" for fountain pens, so the material of the nib affects that molding of the nib,
If we are talking an all-steel nib, then that is certainly the case, as the point will wear. However, better nibs usually have a very durable rare-earth metal for the tipping material, such as rhodium or iridium. These tips wear exceedingly slowly; grinding is typically required to modify the tip. I would be quite surprised if this new Waterman doesn't have such tipping of the nib.

But lending your fountain pen to a non-fountain pen user carries risk, in that they can deform the nib through exerting too much pressure. This can mis-align the tines, narrow or widen the slit, etc.

But lending your fountain pen to a non-fountain pen user carries risk, in that they can deform the nib through exerting too much pressure. This can mis-align the tines, narrow or widen the slit, etc.

This is much less of an issue with most steel-nibbed pens, as the steel nibs are very stiff.

Even most modern gold nibs are stiffer than the nibs of yore, but some modern nibs have more flex than others (I have a Lamy 80 from the 1970's/1980's that has a very flexy/springy nib, Sailor makes some nibs with quite a bit of flex). A heavy hand can ruin a gold nib and the more flex in the nib the more likely it could be damaged by misuse. However, it takes quite a bit to damage a modern steel nib - absent deliberately trying to do so.

That being said, I don't lend out my FPs (gold or steel nibbed), but I certainly don't freak out if a colleague happens to use one of my steel-nibbed pens should they have to jot something down when they're sitting in my office. The good pens I keep out of reach - just to be sure!

This is much less of an issue with most steel-nibbed pens, as the steel nibs are very stiff.

Even most modern gold nibs are stiffer than the nibs of yore, but some modern nibs have more flex than others (I have a Lamy 80 from the 1970's/1980's that has a very flexy/springy nib, Sailor makes some nibs with quite a bit of flex). A heavy hand can ruin a gold nib and the more flex in the nib the more likely it could be damaged by misuse. However, it takes quite a bit to damage a modern steel nib - absent deliberately trying to do so.

That being said, I don't lend out my FPs (gold or steel nibbed), but I certainly don't freak out if a colleague happens to use one of my steel-nibbed pens should they have to jot something down when they're sitting in my office. The good pens I keep out of reach - just to be sure!

I can certainly understand keeping the good pens out of reach; I keep my pen of the day in the shirt or jacket pocket; Reforms are the pens on my desk in the case that someone who needs to jot something quickly may use. I usually carry a Reform with me as well, in the event someone needs to briefly borrow a pen.

I have seen modern steel nibs put out of alignment and the flow ruined; I had a number of Hero 616s as spares at the desk, and gave a number away to members of one of my project teams. Some people managed to mangle those nibs in short order. Granted, they are very inexpensive pens, so the longevity expectations were low to begin with. I even had a colleague have the plastic feed of a Lamy Al-Star break on him, although that may have been a combination of a heavy hand and Noodler's ink. That being said, I agree, it is less of an issue with steel nibs ... but it is still an issue :wink:

And I don't let anyone use my Vanishing Point under any circumstances!

Also pick up some Pilot Varsity or V Pens [depending on where you live], these are disposable fountain pens that write well and it's no big deal if a 2.50 pen gets killed or misused.

Am I going to have this problem with my pen?

I DO keep my good pen out of reach of fellow employers. You know, the one with green, red, blue, and black ink all in the same pen! :biggrin:

OK, sorry for the derailing...

thats the thing, i really really dislike the whole gold and black colour scheme, i think that the only company that can get away with it is mont blanc, and only becuase of tradition, on any other company it looks like a gift pen from a traveling salesman......

I would generally agree, but I think Parker Duofolds can "get away" with it.

Top Bottom