What's new

Hitting the Wall for DE Shaving

Tried my dad's old DE slim adjustable out of sheer frustration when the Fusion went dull and I couldn't stand forking over that much dough for replacement cartridges. I had some Old Spice soap, an Old Spice mug and a Gillette synthetic brush from some funky shaving lotion cartridge system that had been lying around for years. First attempt was better than expected, but bad technique, old blades and ignorance did not combine for an ideal shave.

Google led me here, and lo, there was knowledge aplenty. I armed myself with Williams soap, a boar brush, an old cork, some new Wallyworld Personnas and a Clubman styptic pencil to help hide the marks of my learning curve. The Afta I grabbed with the blades got nixed by SWMBO, so Clubman Bay Rum let me know when I didn't do so well. Things progressed.

Christmas brought me a Tweezerman Badger brush, some Burt's Bees Bay Rum Aftershave Balm and both Burt's Bees and Col. Conk's Bay Rum soaps. My own foraging brought me a fairly odd scuttle, a stand for razor and brush that included a combed Gillette New and rather dry old brush of some sort. I'm now torn between the older razor and my dad's Slim.

I've watched the YouTube videos. I've buffed, J-hooked and learned about my facial geography. I'm getting good shaves, and much happier about it than when I was quickscraping with a cartridge. Hell, I even got some cologne based on what I read here (the wife is pretty pleased with that) and I'm glad I got in to this mess of brushes and potions.

But, I seem to have hit a wall. The shaves are quite good, but I feel that really good and great are just around the corner that I'm not turning.

Is this common? To try and break through I've got some Dorco 301s heading my way. Is this gearhead approach all steam and mirrors? Is the quest for BBS folly? Is the Hokey-Pokey really what it's all about, and I should just lather up, man up and shut up?

I guess it is a combination of practice and perseverance that gets the results. I'm a n00b to DE shaving and I am happy with the results I've had thus far and more than happy enough to want to dump disposables and cartridge razors because I feel I'm getting a much better and closer shave than I ever was before.

I suppose one day I might hit the wall, but I think for now, I am happy in the acquisition stage and the experimentation stage.

I hope you push past that wall. One day I may be asking for advice :001_smile:

The shaves are quite good, but I feel that really good and great are just around the corner that I'm not turning.

Is there anything specific you dont like about the shave (closeness, irritation etc)?

If you havent been at it that long, it may take a bit of time before it all 'clicks' into place properly.

aiming for BBS is not folly, although dont try for it - you will just end up irritated, it will come when its ready.

and yes - the hokey pokey really is what its all about...

never forget to shake it all about.

Well, I want closeness and no irratation, of course.

What's really bugging me is that I can get ninety percent of my face BBS, but there are always jawline/chin areas that just won't cooperate, even when I put my left foot in and take my left foot out.

even when I put my left foot in and take my left foot out.

Funny, I seem to open my mouth to change feet too. Though now I work for a chinese company (as the only non-asian) who never seem to notice me putting my foot in my mouth or changing feet!:lol:

What's really bugging me is that I can get ninety percent of my face BBS, but there are always jawline/chin areas that just won't cooperate, even when I put my left foot in and take my left foot out.

I found that when I sopped stressing about making the final leap to great shaves, it just kinda came. Its kinda Zen, but enjoy the good shaves you are getting, and the rest will come. . .

:cool:

Different blades, a refined technique, better prep(?) and possibly a more aggressive razor will help.

I just tried some Israeli Personnas, and was quite possibly the best shave I have had in months.

Granted all my shaves are excellent, this one was just "better"
12 hours after my shave, my jaw is still stubble free.

Different blades, a refined technique, better prep(?) and possibly a more aggressive razor will help.

And patience.

Also, while Williams has devoted followers, it hasn't worked for me that well. I usually superlather it with Kiss My Face cream, and that combo works very well. Also, the Burt's Bees soap gets really dodgy reviews, so don't expect too much from it. The Col Conk, however, while a low-end (read: low-priced) soap, seems to get pretty solid reviews.

[Disclaimer: Of these 3, I've only used Williams, and the same-maker-as-Conk VDH.]

Where I'm heading is that, while the Williams could work OK for you, and the Conk is probably more likely to work OK for you, you'll find many soaps and creams that most of us think are better (lather that protects better, or that facilitates a slicker razor pass, or both).

The punch line, though, is hang in there. You've noticed a lot of improvement. More's to come.

Nice Fedora. Sounds like you are a perfectionist, so am I. But in the short time I have been WS I have learned to just take what the day gives me, sometimes a great shave and sometimes not. IMHO, everyone is different, give youself time to develop your personal techniques and likes and dislikes. I know his, the worst shave I have ever had WS is better that the best shave I ever had wth the electrics I used for 35 years. Hang in there.

I struggled for a while and decided one day to try the old Mach3 again...after everything I learned from passes, pressure, angel, prep, post, slower, and applied that to the M3, well I had the closest shave i had in a while (and i have sensitive skin). I dont know why that was, dont get me wrong Im not quiting DE, its just taking me longer to find the right razor/blade/cream combo and each one performs different so its hard to find which one works better than the M3 (for me), I know its out there tho its taking me a longer time to find it...i guess just stick with it. I do it for the 'experience' now and not the BBS yet

I will share with you a seceret that improved my shaves two fold. I saw a member on this site mention how he went from GOOD shaves to BBS shaves after trying something one morning. The seceret I will share with you is in Pre-shave oil, or just plain Olive Oil.

I don't use the preshave oil before I lather. I use it on my face for the last "touch up" pass, after my reduction steps. I simply rinse my face with hot water, cover it in oil, and then do a very light buff over the rough areas. I dial my slim down a little bit for this step, about a 2-3. Usually I shave at about 5. NO lather on top of the oil, just oil and my blade. I have used Merkurs, Old Gillettes (fat boy, and slim which I use most), and others. This works wonders with every single one of them.

Some may read this and think I'm nuts, I know I thought so when I first heard this tip. Now I don't shave without using this final step. Plus the oil really helps your skin.

Seriously, try this. Go slow and VERY lightly on the patches you left behind.

Get a Merkur Slant razor and some Red IP razor blades and some Tabac shaving soap and you will knock that wall down in no time. Be sure to use straight strokes only. And make sure the blade is parallel with the top cap of the razor before tightening it down.

Last edited:
Knowing your beard grain is critical and below the jawline, it can get crazy.
For me this is one of the things that improved DE shaving for me.

Well, that and taking someone's suggestion to drop a Feather into a Tech...

I am also an advocate of pre-shave oil, as I have a tough beard.

One day I'll break out grandad's straight razor, but for now I'm still getting used to my two Gillettes.

I'll try the olive oil tonight...after all, even if my wife doesn't dig my Clubman Bay Rum she loves Italian!

Waiting for the Dorcos to arrive...I've been to quite a few stores locally and there is nothing but Personna to be had over the counter.

I will continue to get in touch with my inner baby butt. In the meantime, the shaves are enjoyable unto themselves and I learn a little every session. I hardly need the styptic pencil at all.

Where's some wood to knock on?

I am having the same problem. Although I've only been WS for a month, I would still like to experience BBS just once to know that it can be done.

I am noticing two things:

1. I must have a thick, tough beard because I have to make all 4 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG, XTG the opposite direction) every time I shave.

2. I am getting a true 5 o'clock shadow: By the time 5 o'clock hits, I have stubble.

Shaving with a MBM like Fusion or M3 always left my face smooth. Right now, I'm thinking blade angle/experience, a very light razor, and a thick beard is causing me some angst.

Would I be best served with Feather blades? Do more aggressive blades automatically deliver closer shaves?

I am having the same problem. Although I've only been WS for a month, I would still like to experience BBS just once to know that it can be done.

I am noticing two things:

1. I must have a thick, tough beard because I have to make all 4 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG, XTG the opposite direction) every time I shave.

2. I am getting a true 5 o'clock shadow: By the time 5 o'clock hits, I have stubble.

Shaving with a MBM like Fusion or M3 always left my face smooth. Right now, I'm thinking blade angle/experience, a very light razor, and a thick beard is causing me some angst.

Would I be best served with Feather blades? Do more aggressive blades automatically deliver closer shaves?

What razor and blades are you currently using?

What razor and blades are you currently using?

I am using a local brand (I'm currently in India) of razor. It probably weighs 10-20 gms. I am using Gillette 7 o'clock platinum blades (black box). I feel as if my razor weight is 50% of my problem. I know I'm still a bit of an amateur at this, but I think my technique could justify a very close shave.

Top Bottom