What's new

Used Straights?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
ouch said:
Mason, I agree that you'll be a lot better off buying a used straight that has been made shave ready. Even if you purchased a brand spanking new one, it would still require some work before it would deliver a good shave. .

Both Classic Shaving and myself sell razors that will be shave ready when they arrive, exactly as if you bought a shave ready vintage razor. Mine are honed before I ship them and Classic can send them to Lynn for an expert honing as well. Neither of these should require anything different than a vintage, pre-honed razor.

Tony Miller

Tony Miller said:
Both Classic Shaving and myself sell razors that will be shave ready when they arrive, exactly as if you bought a shave ready vintage razor. Mine are honed before I ship them and Classic can send them to Lynn for an expert honing as well. Neither of these should require anything different than a vintage, pre-honed razor.

Tony Miller
Thank you, Tony. I was checking out your website and may be in touch some time in the near future. I noticed that you have a starter set, but it includes a lot of stuff I already have like a mug, soap, etc...

Any special deal on a starter set without the soap, mug, and brush?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Mason,
I do a "short" set without the razor for the guys after the vintage ones but the other items work out to the same price if purchased separately....razor and strop. the set does not discount any more than my current prices it just gives the guys everything in one package so they don't forget the little things.

Tony

Tony Miller said:
Mason,
I do a "short" set without the razor for the guys after the vintage ones but the other items work out to the same price if purchased separately....razor and strop. the set does not discount any more than my current prices it just gives the guys everything in one package so they don't forget the little things.

Tony
Oh, I see. Thank you for clearing that up for me. To be honest I hadn't yet bothered to do the math. Thanks for saving me the trouble. :lol:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but did I see that the razors are currently on back order?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Yes, you can certainly purchase a new razor in shave ready condition, but perhaps you would rather wait until you have developed the requisite honing/stropping skills before you attempt to work on your brand new pride and joy. I know I wish that I did.

In any event, irrespective of where you purchase your razor, the notion of buying a strop from anyone other than Tony Miller is just downright silly.

ouch said:
Yes, you can certainly purchase a new razor in shave ready condition, but perhaps you would rather wait until you have developed the requisite honing/stropping skills before you attempt to work on your brand new pride and joy. I know I wish that I did.

In any event, irrespective of where you purchase your razor, the notion of buying a strop from anyone other than Tony Miller is just downright silly.
Recommendations noted.

Strop from Tony..check.

Old, cheap razor to practice slicing my fingers off, err I mean honing and stropping...check.

Mason,

Definitely buy a strop from Tony and pick up either a Dovo from him or buy used from one of the SRP meister's. I also have a few seconds I picked up on eBay and I'd be happy to send one your way as a starter/practice razor if you like.

I can't tell you how much I love using a straight edge. I use them exclusively now and shaving is a joy. The honing is not a problem for me; I use a Norton 4K/8K and easily touch up the edges when needed. SRP is a great forum....Hard to believe a site filled with people as nice as this one exists, but SRP emulates the good mojo one feels here.

BTW, what's the over/under on your 1,000th post? I'd like a piece of that action.

-Scott-

sphughes said:
Mason,

Definitely buy a strop from Tony and pick up either a Dovo from him or buy used from one of the SRP meister's. I also have a few seconds I picked up on eBay and I'd be happy to send one your way as a starter/practice razor if you like.

I can't tell you how much I love using a straight edge. I use them exclusively now and shaving is a joy. The honing is not a problem for me; I use a Norton 4K/8K and easily touch up the edges when needed. SRP is a great forum....Hard to believe a site filled with people as nice as this one exists, but SRP emulates the good mojo one feels here.

BTW, what's the over/under on your 1,000th post? I'd like a piece of that action.

-Scott-
Thank you, I'll definately keep it in mind.

Over/under? 1,000th post? :confused:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Mason,
Short back order actually. Razors are on the way now and should be in stock again mid next week. They go from my supplier to a fellow on SRP by the name of EL who is a far better honer than even I am, he sends them back to me shave ready. I limit my selection to the single basic Dovo as my specialty and knowledge is in strops. Classic Shaving has a huge supply of razors and sends them to Lynn after you purchase them if you select the honing option. Theirs are less expensive but once you add the honing charge on they are the same as mine where it is built in to the final price. There are fellows who will hone your eBay finds too which is a choice. Going rate is $20-24 or so I think.
Tony

Tony Miller said:
Mason,
Short back order actually. Razors are on the way now and should be in stock again mid next week. They go from my supplier to a fellow on SRP by the name of EL who is a far better honer than even I am, he sends them back to me shave ready. I limit my selection to the single basic Dovo as my specialty and knowledge is in strops. Classic Shaving has a huge supply of razors and sends them to Lynn after you purchase them if you select the honing option. Theirs are less expensive but once you add the honing charge on they are the same as mine where it is built in to the final price. There are fellows who will hone your eBay finds too which is a choice. Going rate is $20-24 or so I think.
Tony
Thank you Tony. So would be it safe to say that you will have them in stock if I decide to place an order some time in the next month? If I am going to order the strop from you I may as well order the razor from you as well.

Mason, I would make sure you order Lynn's DVD too if you're going to try straights out. As I said it has a huge amount of information on it, but crucially it has a great guide to stropping.

I ordered a razor and strop from Tony, and managed to ruin the edge on the razor the first time I stropped it. I was gutted because it had been properly honed too, such a waste! I also managed to nick the strop 3 times too, basically because I was stropping like I'd seen in a Google video because I thought it was the right way. :frown:

The only good thing about this was it forced me to buy a hone and learn how to use it, but I certainly wasted time and money. When Lynn's DVD arrived I immediately saw what I was doing wrong and things improved massively after that.

I also copied exactly the way Lynn shaves on the DVD, and it vastly improved my shaves.

Tony's strops are great quality and superb value, in Trumpers (London) their strops are nearly 3 times the price of Tonys and look like a piece of crap in comparison! I managed to repair the nicks on mine with some sandpaper and a lot of careful work, but I may have to pick up another from Tony in the near future anyway.

Iwan :smile:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Mason,
There should be no more supply problems from here on out. I took some time off for vaction and promptly sold out all I had while away. Once I returned my supplier, UPS and the USPS have conspired to keep them from me and my honer <g>.

Back on track now.

Tony

Tony Miller said:
Mason,
There should be no more supply problems from here on out. I took some time off for vaction and promptly sold out all I had while away. Once I returned my supplier, UPS and the USPS have conspired to keep them from me and my honer <g>.

Back on track now.

Tony
That's good to know. Thank you.

Iwan said:
Mason, I would make sure you order Lynn's DVD too if you're going to try straights out. As I said it has a huge amount of information on it, but crucially it has a great guide to stropping.

I ordered a razor and strop from Tony, and managed to ruin the edge on the razor the first time I stropped it. I was gutted because it had been properly honed too, such a waste! I also managed to nick the strop 3 times too, basically because I was stropping like I'd seen in a Google video because I thought it was the right way. :frown:

The only good thing about this was it forced me to buy a hone and learn how to use it, but I certainly wasted time and money. When Lynn's DVD arrived I immediately saw what I was doing wrong and things improved massively after that.

I also copied exactly the way Lynn shaves on the DVD, and it vastly improved my shaves.

Tony's strops are great quality and superb value, in Trumpers (London) their strops are nearly 3 times the price of Tonys and look like a piece of crap in comparison! I managed to repair the nicks on mine with some sandpaper and a lot of careful work, but I may have to pick up another from Tony in the near future anyway.

Iwan :smile:
Thank you. I'll make a point of it.

Mason,

Order the "kit" from Tony. He is a first class vendor who shaves with a straight razor. He knows what he is doing. Also, pick up a "pasted" strop from Tony at the same time. The pasted strop will slow your need for a hone.

Randy

Top Bottom