What's new

What Handgun to Buy ? Deacon.........

Many people don't realize it, but semi-autos have been around just about as long as revolvers. I would not call them a "newer design" or "more modern". Both types have gone through a lot of evolution since the days of Colt Peacemakers and Mauser broom handles. Military/police requirements in a handgun are quite different from an average civilians; what is a good choice for one is not necessarily a good choice for the other. That taken into consideration, a modern Smith or Ruger wheelgun is an excellent choice, I think, for Joe Average. If you are willing and able to commit the time to practice, I would go with a 1911 as best of the best. But few of us can put in the time to master it, and if you don't it is an accident waiting to happen. And of course, YMMV.

Hey, if you are following the four laws of firearm safety, even a light trigger pull with no safety shouldn't be an issue.

In that sense, a glock that is very easy to operate is an excellent choice for a beginner.

Pull the trigger and go bang.

For someone with lots of training and practice, you are right. I am talking about new shooters here. When you get that "What was that noise that just woke me up?" shot of adrenaline because you realize someone has just broken a window in the kitchen door, it is easy to put your finger on the trigger. Or if you are fully awake and in the situation where you NEED your finger on the trigger it is far too easy with a light pull. I have held people at gunpoint and your adrenaline is very high right then.

I've been selling handguns for 47 years and a police firearms instructor for 29 years. If I was limited to one handgun, it would be a Glock 19.

Big Fella, yup, you are exactly the kind of shooter that CAN handle the Glock under pressure and where they perform best.

Hey, what's your tagger screen name on COD4? I play all of the time, addicted! I am whiteacrobat. Send me a friend request and we can match up in some duals some time.

I've been selling handguns for 47 years and a police firearms instructor for 29 years. If I was limited to one handgun, it would be a Glock 19.

Sadly me too even though it's not my favorite shooter. If the OP is looking to prepare for the worst I would say a Glock 19 or 17 in 9mm with lots of full capacity and maybe even big 33rnd G18 magazines. Also, you want something common that will still has a huge volume of parts. A Browning Hi-power would also be an excellent choice for that reason, but it is not as simple as the Glock.

Chances are revolvers are less likely to be restricted like the "dangerous high capacity handguns":confused:

I'm in denial that anything will happen with handguns for the moment. Save the evil black rifles first!

Last edited:
Im an officer in the Military and the side arm for officers is the Beretta M9,
for my personal weapon i chose the Beretta Police special which is the identical pistol though i chose the 40 cal.

this is a very reliable weapon and has more than enough knockdown power to suit your puposes and is comfortable to shoot and Maintain,and with kids in the house the Beretta has many saftey features, look into it,

I think the 357 is overkiill and over rated, IMHO
i picked up my piece for $650 used at my local gun shop.

also think about the cost of the ammo, it will be a factor if you plan to shoot the gun often,
good luck with you quest,
Grottolord

I went through this last year, and after firing pretty much everything I could get my hands on I settled on a Springfield Armory XD9. I went with 9mm because my intentions are in line with yours, 95% range shooting, 4.99999% plinking while camping, and at MOST .00001% home defense. The 9mm rounds are the cheapest based on most of what I read and my personal research so that was a no brainer.

If you're not in a state like California, there are 15rd magazines available so not as much reloading at the range.

It's just an overall nice feeling weapon in your hand, and not being anything close to resembling an expert on shooting, the rounds seemed to land where I was aiming more with this than others. I had alot of people suggest used guns, and I'm sure there are many used guns out there that would have been fine. The thing is I just don't know enough about how to inspect a used gun to make sure it's all good, so I bought new. It ran just over $500.

The XDs have earned an excellent reputation for accuracy and reliability. The Beretta is an excellent piece, it's only drawback being it is a large handgun. If you have hands large enough for it, it is a superb sidearm. Just use factory or Mec Gar magazines with it as I'm sure grottolord would attest to the fact that cheap magazines are about the only thing that will tie up one of those.

I know I'm late to this one, and I haven't read everyone's responses, but here are a few tips:

-If you're worried about picking the right handgun, here's what I can tell you: You're going to wind up buying another one. And probably another one. Guns are like rabbits. They multiply.

-Since you're a wet-shaver, I bet you like things that are more old-fashioned and aesthetic. Things that require a little more work and care but produce better results. Therefore, you want a 1911 in .45. It takes more skill to field-strip, requires more lube, and can sometimes have a teething period when you first get it, but after you two get acquainted, you'll honestly wonder why anybody buys anything else. They handle so perfectly, they have an old, curvy, luxurious look about them that harkens back to a bygone era of craftsmanship, and the thump of a .45 is extremely satisfying, yet not overwhelming even to the slight of build.

The baseline for a quality 1911 is probably in the $650 range, for a base-model Springfield or the new Taurus. Higher up, you get into Kimbers, Para-Ordnance, Sig, or S&W. By then it really becomes more about options than makers.

Just find somebody willing to teach you the stripping and reassembly process, which is a bit quirky compared to most modern pistols.

I know I'm late to this one, and I haven't read everyone's responses, but here are a few tips:

-If you're worried about picking the right handgun, here's what I can tell you: You're going to wind up buying another one. And probably another one. Guns are like rabbits. They multiply.

-Since you're a wet-shaver, I bet you like things that are more old-fashioned and aesthetic. Things that require a little more work and care but produce better results. Therefore, you want a 1911 in .45. It takes more skill to field-strip, requires more lube, and can sometimes have a teething period when you first get it, but after you two get acquainted, you'll honestly wonder why anybody buys anything else. They handle so perfectly, they have an old, curvy, luxurious look about them that harkens back to a bygone era of craftsmanship, and the thump of a .45 is extremely satisfying, yet not overwhelming even to the slight of build.

The baseline for a quality 1911 is probably in the $650 range, for a base-model Springfield or the new Taurus. Higher up, you get into Kimbers, Para-Ordnance, Sig, or S&W. By then it really becomes more about options than makers.

Just find somebody willing to teach you the stripping and reassembly process, which is a bit quirky compared to most modern pistols.

This post is right on if you want to get something kinda nice. I've heard decent things about the Rock Island Arsenal 45s and they can be had for under 400 bucks often times. Also, don't be afraid to buy used.

GB

Okay, my two cents. The .357 doesn't come into its own in anything less than a six inch barrel. For civilian purposes, a large capacity magazine is unnecessary unless you just can't shoot worth a damn. Most self-defense encounters are settled with two or three shots. For military purposes, I don't think anything has ever matched the 1911 in .45ACP. Nabvy Seals agree with me, it is what they carry in the field. I was with Navy Special Warfare Group in Vietnam, carried the .45 at one time and a nine mil at another. I like the .45. The military switched to the nine mil to be compatible with NATO. It simplifies logistics if all use the same ammo. And the military don't think handguns are very important in warfare anyway. If they think you are going to actually shoot at anything they issue you a rifle.

I did not read every reply to your post take this for what its worth from someone who has been on both ends of a gun! If the person you are shooting at does not hit the floor after the first two shoots you should save your money and get a baseball bat!!!! For home defense remember 9mm has a high velocity and if you DO hit who you are shooting at there still is a very good chance that the round will countine through your home possibly hitting a loved one. Semi-auto magizine have a spring in them. Springs get a memory if ammo is not rotated often which could lead to the weapon jamming creating more DUH during your already life or death situation. 4" double action .357 stainless if the shine does'nt get them the round will!! Remember if you dont know how to use it and think twice about using it, it will be use on you and you loved ones. It is alot different knowing and having to use it. Be confident when the time comes or leave it locked up. You wont have the luxury of time when the time comes to fire! usually breathing heavy and in the dark not like a well lit gun range. lol good luck, shoot as often as you can protect your right to bear arms and know how to use them as good as your razor

As you all read through this thread, you will notice the many different opinons. That is why it is a great convenience to go to a range that will let you try different types of handguns, to see what feels best to you.

Quick note on springs and memory. I've read a lot about this and what appears to be the case is that springs wear out not from being compressed for long periods, but from being rapidly cycled over and over again. In a quality magazine (which for the 1911 is about $30, a bargain compared to other pistols) leaving them loaded shouldn't be a problem.

I did not read every reply to your post take this for what its worth from someone who has been on both ends of a gun! If the person you are shooting at does not hit the floor after the first two shoots you should save your money and get a baseball bat!!!! For home defense remember 9mm has a high velocity and if you DO hit who you are shooting at there still is a very good chance that the round will countine through your home possibly hitting a loved one. Semi-auto magizine have a spring in them. Springs get a memory if ammo is not rotated often which could lead to the weapon jamming creating more DUH during your already life or death situation. 4" double action .357 stainless if the shine does'nt get them the round will!! Remember if you dont know how to use it and think twice about using it, it will be use on you and you loved ones. It is alot different knowing and having to use it. Be confident when the time comes or leave it locked up. You wont have the luxury of time when the time comes to fire! usually breathing heavy and in the dark not like a well lit gun range. lol good luck, shoot as often as you can protect your right to bear arms and know how to use them as good as your razor

Curious, non biased info request.How does shooting often help protect the right to bear arms?

There is so much out-dated and incorrect information in this post:

Modern hollow-points from 9mm, 357 sig, 40, 45 all penetrate about equally with similar wounding potential.
proxy.php

Loaded semi-auto mags will be fine for many years and function for hundreds of load/empty cycles. Springs wear out from cycles not by compression within design limits.

Warning about 9mm overpenetration and recommending 357 magnum is highly illogical. I consider 357 magnum only appropriate for experienced handgunners, it's bright muzzle flash, sound, and recoil make it rather unsuitable for low-light defensive situations.

Good reference for various calibers: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Top Bottom