What's new

What Handgun to Buy ? Deacon.........

Self defense: H&K USP .45
All Purpose: Smith and Wesson Model 629 .44 Magnum, 5" barrel. The .44 mag is FUN to shoot and can be used to hunt with hard cast semi-wadcutter bullets (might want a longer barrel though). It will also fire .44 special rounds which can be used effectively for self defense (might want a shorter barrel).

I am a 1911 man myself.
I could never shoot GLOCK's well, but if they work for you, they seem to be unstoppable, and an excellent gun.

The .45ACP is a very tame round, at least on the shooters end. Would not want to take a hit from one on the receiving end.

One drawback for a 1911 clone is that to be effective, it has to be carried "cocked, locked and ready to rock" IE: hammer cocked, thumb safety on.

For new shooters its a little unnerving, but perfectly safe.

But, even as a die hard auto fan, I would insist on a n00b getting a wheel gun in .357.
Impossible to jam, and in the unlikely event of a misfire, a quick second pull of the trigger gets you a fresh round without thinking about it.

Spend the extra little bit for the .357, because you can shoot .38 special all day long(cheaper) and then load it up with hot .357 magnums for actual defense. If you go with the .38, you are stuck with one option.

A snubbie Smith&Wesson is an easily concealable pistol, less than 500 bucks, and has laser grips available.
Yeah, LASER grips.:blushing:
Not my style, as I have thousands of rounds through my .45's and have no need.
However for the inexperienced, and especially in a panic situation, a laser is highly effective. Bullet goes where red dot is. Criminals and thugs know this.
Also, it allows you to keep your field of vision open to see other threats because you can shoot "from the hip"

My parents both have Crimson Trace grips, my dad on his Kimber CDP (officers model 1911) and my mom on her snubbie .38.
Both are dialed in so the bullet will literally go where the red dot shines.

For home defense, short pistol grip 12 gauge loaded with BB, #4, or #6 shot.
Just the sound of the pump action is enough to let any intruder know you mean business.(it's the standard sound for every movie gun sound effect)

Couple of points:

1. Don't break rule #2. Whether your trigger is 2 pounds or 12, if you put your finger on it when you shouldn't you're setting yourself up for a ND. Revolvers don't have any more manual safeties than do glocks, and the type of dangerous behavior that will cause a ND with a glock will also cause one with a revolver.

2. You can get a heavier trigger for the glock. In fact, I think there are "New York" trigger groups named for NYPD which up the trigger pull to over 10lbs. Of course, as mentioned above, with proper trigger finger discipline it isn't necessary.

3. You recommend DAO pistols if not going for a revolver, but then specifically recommend the 1911 and Hi-Power. This is a contradiction, as the glock is a DAO (albeit striker-fired) pistol, whereas both the 1911 and Hi-Power are single action. Were you thinking of a pistol with an external safety?

4. Again, keep your boogerhook off the bangswitch and your chances for a ND go to virtually nil. But with poor trigger finger discipline you will eventually have a ND, whether you are using a glock, sig, or revolver.

I highly agree about following rule number two stops a ND. When something is going on in the house, and your adrenaline is pumping, it's easy to forget the NRA rules. I see it all the time with new shooters at IDPA matches.

The recommendation for a DAO pistol was for if he's dead set on a Glock style firearm. I still recommend a 1911 or a BHP as first autos to anyone looking to get into auto. The nice thing about the 1911 and the BHP is that the slide safety location is one of the most ergonomically placed on any handgun. As part of the proper grip of the pistol, your right thumb will be resting on the safety, so you can actuate it on target acquisition.

Of course my absolute first choice for a home defense weapon is illegal to purchase new in the fine state of California.

9mm Springfield Xd or Glock 19.

I have both (well i one a diff glock model) and love them both.

9mm is cheapest to shoot and most fun in my opinion.

My advice is that if your gun is going to be used for self defense, it should be easy to operate under pressure.

I have a double action only (Glock style) S&W M&P 9mm compact. The idea being that there is not safety, de-cocker, or anything else to think about if should need to be used under pressure. Point it and squeeze the trigger as many times as you need to.

It is not as accurate a gun as a single action or single/double, so for the range getting the bullets to hit a paper plate at 25 yards is sufficient.

As for a double action revolver it is the same idea. You can simply squeeze the trigger and it works.

As far as caliber, do your research and see what you like best. I'm happy with my 9mm and use +p Cor-bons for self defense. Cheap UMC Walmart ammo is fine for plinking.

My wife carries a .380 Ruger LCP.

i personally like revolvers that fire calibers which are created by lengthening the casing of another round. that way if you get a concealed handgun license you can use the larger round for defense and the smaller round or rounds for practice. .44 mag is my personal favorite.

Sounds like a .357 revolver or a Glock semi-auto in 9mm would be the way to go. My first gun was a Glock 17 that I bought thirteen years ago. It has tens of thousands of rounds through it and it's extremely reliable with many types of ammunition.

I picked up a S&W M&P 9mm at the gun show last weekend. Shot it a little bit but need to get a few hundred more rounds through it before I decide if I like it.

Like other posters have said... training, training, training. I had been shooting for a few years and thought I was pretty good with a pistol. Then I took a basic pistol class and found out how much I still had to learn. Sight alignment, sight picture and tigger control are the basic fundamentals. If you can't do those, it doesn't matter what you shoot.

But when in doubt, you can always just empty the magazine. :001_smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZWCHWqwGc&feature=channel_page

Sounds like a .357 revolver or a Glock semi-auto in 9mm would be the way to go. My first gun was a Glock 17 that I bought thirteen years ago. It has tens of thousands of rounds through it and it's extremely reliable with many types of ammunition.

I picked up a S&W M&P 9mm at the gun show last weekend. Shot it a little bit but need to get a few hundred more rounds through it before I decide if I like it.

Like other posters have said... training, training, training. I had been shooting for a few years and thought I was pretty good with a pistol. Then I took a basic pistol class and found out how much I still had to learn. Sight alignment, sight picture and tigger control are the basic fundamentals. If you can't do those, it doesn't matter what you shoot.

But when in doubt, you can always just empty the magazine. :001_smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZWCHWqwGc&feature=channel_page

I was expecting your M-1 video DVD. :biggrin:

:thumbup1: I agree that the best home defense weapon is a short barreled 12 ga. shotgun. The sound of a shotgun round being chambered is the loudest sound in the world. The affect of that sound tends to get immediate attention and that sound alone may drive off an intruder. That being said I still like having pistol or revolver around. Keep trying various models and get what works best for you.

There are a lot of good suggestions here on this thread. Personally, I would not recommend a handgun as a weapon of choice for home defense. Stray bullets can too easily find their way into your neighbor's house. My choice is 12 guage short barrel. Mossberg is good for that.

If you decide to get a pistol anyway, my pick for the home is a Glock 23. It is extremely reliable and accurate. It would be in your best interest to invest in a combat self-defense course with the pistol, no matter which one you decide on.

If you do decide on the pistol, another thing to consider is an easily accessible hidden storage area that is usually disguised as a painting or photograph. Trigger locks and safes that require codes to get in them don't help much if you wind up needing the gun in a hurry. Your boy is old enough to teach him to stay away from it.

Here are some ideas for safe storage
Fingerprint safe
Wallclock
Picture Frame
Another Picture Frame Safe

Just a opinion...mine of course...but if you buy a handgun or any weapon if you are just going to toss it in a drawer and not use it unless an intruder comes in...well don't do it. Training in use of a handgun is VERY important. Shoot when and all you can and take a firearm safety class. We shoot about once a week and it is a fun sport, but you have to be prepared.

I agree with you, people shouldn't. Unfortunately I think most guns ins the US (at least in California, where I and the OP are from) just sit and are only around for hypothetical bad guy situations. We don't have all the shooting friendly areas other states do, I have to drive over 2 hours to get to blm land I can shoot on. Depending on where he is, going to the range every month can be a PITA. Fortunately the odds of the OP needing the gun for defense in his home are very small, so I still say a Hipoin because all he really needs is piece of mind. I try and shoot about 2-3 times a month.

GB

From a personal standpoint I would suggest that you research and rent any handgun or pistol you're interested in. I've owned a High Point C9 and can attest that 1. it was highly accurate but need some serious repair straight out of the box. 2. High Point has excellent customer service. After being fixed (problem was the slide) it came back cadillac. No problems shooting at all. Unfortunately it was stolen during an break in at my old apartment while I was at work. I also owned an RIA 1911 which was a beautiful gun. It too was stolen in the break in.
I've owned 3 .38 spcls all made by Taurus. The first 2 were great. The 3rd that I currently own is a lemon. Doesn't index properly, I've sent it in twice and both times after about a 100 rounds the indexing and timing screwed up again. I'm leery of sending it in again and will probably take it to a gunsmith. Now I'm not saying the Tauri pistols and handguns are bad, just that one. I have since bought another Taurus. The Millennium Pro PT111 in 9mm. I like this gun. No problems whatsoever. And truth be told that is the gun I would recommend. And if you like, the Millenniums come bigger calibers also. Just so you know I also owned a S&W model 19 .357 a few years ago which I sold to a gunshop. And a few .22 semiautos. And I bought another RIA 1911 to replace the one that was stolen. I haven't replaced the High Point. Now when it comes to the High Point, they are a low priced option. If you can't afford one of the more expensive guns then go ahead and buy one. I had bought mine coming off a lay off. But be prepared to send it in to be fixed. Between HP and Taurus (considering the results), HP comes out on top in terms of customer service. But most of all buy one that you can shoot. If you can't shoot it, or are afraid to shoot it for some reason (too big, recoil to heavy, whatever) don't buy it. And practice with it. Take courses at your local range, especially ones on your local state law. That will help you to really prepare yourself for self defense with a gun. Just my .2 cents worth here.

This is not an issue if you're loading hollow points for home defense. .

I don't know if this pertains, but when I was with San Diego PD, they used a version of the silver tip hollow point that was light charged to keep it from penetrating walls. I can recall at roll call one time hearing a debriefing of a shooting the night before. a guy was terrorizing a neighborhood with mini 14. When the first responders arrived they took some fire from him but did not get hit. They returned fire. They told of seeing the rounds hit the guy, but he did not go down. claimed to see pieces fly off. Eventually several other cars arrived and after many good hits the guy did go down, but not before bouncing one under a car and shattering a sgts ankle. So I don't know if down loading a round is a good idea.

The best out there for indoor use are the Frangible bullets. Glasser Safety Slug makes them in a variety of calibers.

Basically they are a copper jacket, filled with very small shot, smaller than #8 if memory serves, then suspended in an epoxy.

They are safe to use on aircraft too, as they will not penetrate.

The theory behind them is very fast bullet speed, with a light weight bullet, and 100% energy transfer.

They are pricey, about 10 bucks for 6 rounds, and because of the light bullet weight, I would recommend a revolver to avoid feeding issues.
proxy.php

The best out there for indoor use are the Frangible bullets. Glasser Safety Slug makes them in a variety of calibers.

YMMV and all that...I disagree. Perhaps if in your home the floor plan is such that the likely spot where you would engage an intruder and be forced to shoot would be directly in line with a loved one's bedroom, then I might agree.

I have shot Glasers into ballistic gellatin and water filled jugs and for me, it is not what I want in a self-defense round. I do not want the bullet to break into a handful of pieces. Head shots aside, I want a big, solid, slow moving .45cal slug that will penetrate deeply and smash bones and leave a large wound channel.

Just my $.02

Originally Posted by Fnord5

While they are much ballyhooed, I've yet to read of any real life experiences with them to back up the fanfare. Until then I'm not going to consider them.

Any rifle caliber round will punch through a lot more than a pistol round. That is why shotguns and handguns are better for 99% of the things that an ordinary person will run into. A carbine in a pistol caliber makes a lot of sense in a house because it will hit a little harder because the barrel length allows the cartridge to develop more velocity. Also the extra weight makes even a 44 magnum a pussycat to shoot.

Any rifle caliber round will punch through a lot more than a pistol round. That is why shotguns and handguns are better for 99% of the things that an ordinary person will run into. A carbine in a pistol caliber makes a lot of sense in a house because it will hit a little harder because the barrel length allows the cartridge to develop more velocity. Also the extra weight makes even a 44 magnum a pussycat to shoot.

I don't know if you're familiar with Old Painless from ar15.com or not, but he ran through some penetration testing just for the heck of it. Hey he's retired, what's he supposed to do?

Anyways, he runs a site called The Box O' Truth. Some of his handgun test will suprise you.

While certainly not perfect, so far the best results we've got are from Marshall and Sanow in their studies of bullet effectiveness. I did enjoy the box's tests and his writing, thanks.

Top Bottom