What's new

Response Boots, HELP!

Evening gents, I'm having a smidgen of trouble finding a new set of boots.

My list of requirements are: sole shank, toe cap, side zip, black and avilable in the UK.

I'd prefer if the toe cap and shank were composite, but I can deal with steel. It would also be nice if half sizes are available. As I wear a UK 11.5.

The problem is: I can find boots with a composite shank and a side zip, but no toe cap, but I'm having REAL trouble finding all three features.

PLEASE help me find some boots!

Dave

What are the boots for? I work in Corrections and I've found that Rocky boots seem to hold up pretty well and they're comfortable too. I wear the Paratrooper side zip which is black and has a high gloss toe cap. I also wear the Alphaforce which is black and has a side zip. I threw the boxes out, so I'm not sure about the shank but I think it is composite. I've also worn Magnum boots and they're also pretty comfortable. The Paratrooper and the Alpaforce also shine up really well too.

The boots are mainly for door work, but the side zip is a must as I'm caught in response situations every now and again.

Dave

P.S. Apparently Rocky Boots aren't available in the UK.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that the Rocky's aren't available. I've heard several people that I work with speak highly of Danner's. They are probably going to cost quite a bit more. I haven't had very good luck with Bates. They just don't seem to last that long. You might want to give the Magnum's a shot. There are several styles to choose from. I've worn the Stealth and it was probably one of the most comfortable boots I've had. You can get it in a side zip and I'm pretty sure it has a composite shank but the one I had didn't have the toe cap. Although there might be some other styles that do.

Ok, having looked through all the magnums it's unclear if they make what I want. The danner's are also pretty murky in their descriptions and bates don't seem to either. Any ideas anyone??

Can you explain what you mean by "toe cap"? The reason i ask, I am a custom cowboy boot apprentice. We put toe caps or "toe boxes" in our boots that are a composite celastic material. The toe cap or toe box is what makes the toe of the boot stiff. Some boot makers will only use leather toe boxes. We take the stiff celastic material and soak it in acetone to make it soft and pliable. We then mould the soften material around the toe of the boot on the last (mold of foot). The toe box goes on top of the liner leather but below the vamp (outer) leather. After the toe box has dried, we rasp and sand it to blend with the boot then we tack the vamp leather back down to the last.

Also, most hand made boots in America will have a steel shank which is a 40 penny nail pounded somewhat flat then sewn to the insole. Factory boots will actually have a fiberglass shank which over time will flex and will not give proper arch support.

I would recommend finding a professional cobbler in the UK and see what he charges to make boots to your specs.

The leather can in fact be black. For a work boot i would recommend bull hide or french calf. both are extremely durable. For dress you may consider kangaroo.

I apologize if I sound arrogant for saying this so please forgive me, but when it comes to your feet, you get what you pay for.

DL

Have you considered getting a lace-up and then lacing in one of the zipper-things that are pretty easy to get.

Also, Corcoran makes some decent looking boots with a side zip that you might be able to find from military supply shops.

Can you explain what you mean by "toe cap"? The reason i ask, I am a custom cowboy boot apprentice. We put toe caps or "toe boxes" in our boots that are a composite celastic material. The toe cap or toe box is what makes the toe of the boot stiff. Some boot makers will only use leather toe boxes. We take the stiff celastic material and soak it in acetone to make it soft and pliable. We then mould the soften material around the toe of the boot on the last (mold of foot). The toe box goes on top of the liner leather but below the vamp (outer) leather. After the toe box has dried, we rasp and sand it to blend with the boot then we tack the vamp leather back down to the last.

Also, most hand made boots in America will have a steel shank which is a 40 penny nail pounded somewhat flat then sewn to the insole. Factory boots will actually have a fiberglass shank which over time will flex and will not give proper arch support.

I would recommend finding a professional cobbler in the UK and see what he charges to make boots to your specs.

The leather can in fact be black. For a work boot i would recommend bull hide or french calf. both are extremely durable. For dress you may consider kangaroo.

I apologize if I sound arrogant for saying this so please forgive me, but when it comes to your feet, you get what you pay for.

DL

What I mean by a toe cap is a hard toe box to protect my toeses.

There aren't many professional cobblers here in Britain, and what there is is ludicrously expensive.

Many Thanks for your help guys!

5.11 Tactical, Oakley, Danner, Rocky or believe it or not possibly Skechers or Dr. Martens.

+1 to most of those, although I haven't found a pair of Oakleys that would look presentable enough for door work. My suggestion is to purchase Rocky's off the internet -- the "super boot" or something to that effect polishes up very well. Mine have lasted nearly two years without major issue.

Whatever you get, get a pair of the heaviest duty (workboot style) "superfeet" insoles for your boots. Those will help with back-aches and general leg / hip fatigue...

5.11 Tactical, Oakley, Danner, Rocky or believe it or not possibly Skechers or Dr. Martens.

Here's the rub, oakley, skechers and Dr Martens don't do a shoe with my requirements.

Again, the 5.11 and Danner sites are unclear about whether their boots have toe protection.

Again: Rocky's are not available in Britain!

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited:
I posted in another forum about boots. I've been wearing three pairs of Danners for the last 16 years, as a law enforcement officer. Danner does offer a "steel toe" boot. Not sure about a composite materials being used though. It is about time to buy another pair. Not due to workmanship or anything, but they are getting pretty scuffed up and I'm getting tired of polishing them every day.

Try: http://www.danner.com/

Just so that everyone knows, the UK distributor has promised to import some stations especially for me. I should have them in 4 weeks or less.

Thanks for the help guys.

Dave

Top Bottom