What's new

Tabac Aftershave versus Eau De Colonge

I have been using the Tabac Eau De Colonge for over a year now. I love the scent and I can get the big 10.1oz for a reasonable price.

Just this past week I purcahsed a bottle of Tabac Afetrshave Lotion. I thought a nice as lotion with the Tabac scent would be good. Well it is an aftershave, but the stuff in the bottle is far from being a lotion. The Tabac aftershave is seems to be an alcohol based aftershave not a lotion based aftershave.

They both smell the same and they both last about the amount of time.

So my question is What is the difference other than the lettering on the bottle?

Thanks
--Sebright

It's an unfortunate fact that almost all manufacturers seem (in my experience) to use the term "lotion" to refer to their splashes; presumably it sounds more efficacious that way, and probably manages to just meet any legal requirements (if any) for using the term.

As to the actual difference(s) between the Tabac cologne and aftershave "lotion":

The cologne is mostly alcohol, somewhere between 90 to 95 percent, with the rest being fragrance/essential oils and aromachemicals.

The aftershave contains alcohol, a preservative (sodium lactate), castor oil and glycol. I know ethylene glycol is the primary ingredient in things like antifreeze, but have no idea what staright "glycol" is, nor what it's purpose it. Perhaps it's glycerin in disguise, which is good for an aftershave (IMO).

So, the aftershave - while it has some burn to it - has nowhere near the burn of the cologne, were you to splash some of that on your freshly-shaven face. Also, the AS contains some stuff that will help moisturize and seal your skin.

J

Jarmo P

Tabac AS has 68% alcohol content so it is pretty potent as stinging if a bad shave. It is my daily good shave aftershave that leaves a nice scent to last. I am not sure I like Tabac original deodorant very much.

I don't have Tabac edc, but I have Granvalor Tabac edt from Mäurer&Wirtz that I usually apply one splash on my neck and then smear it to my wrists from there and apply to between my ears. Just one splash. I like the scent.

Top Bottom