What's new

About to Start

I'm about to take the plunge and switch to straights. I have wet shaving supplies and I've read Joel's interactive guide a couple of times. In looking at what I will need, I'm hoping y'all (yes I'm in the deep south) will check my list and see if I'm missing anything or getting something I don't need before I spend the money.

I'll post a WTB for a 5/8 round hollow grind shave ready razor.

1. Tony Miller heirloom starter strop. (I'll add dressing if not included.
2. Norton 4/8k hone. Do I need this as I don't plan to use it at first as I plan to get a shave ready razor
3. Tony Miller 4 side paddle strop w 3 micron, 1 micron, .5 micron and .25 micron diamond paste.

Thanks for your help.

The barber I bought my (new & shaveready) razor from said I shouldn't start honing until I needed it.

If you get the 4-sided paddle strop get the 0.5 micron green chrome rather than the 0.25 diamond. With this and a shave ready blade you should not need a hone for several weeks (or months).

You won't need dressing with a new TM (even practice) strop. Just rub it with your hands. The oil from your skin will be all you need on it for at least a year.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice.

So I could skip both the .5 and .25 diamond and just get the .5 micron green?

Thanks for the advice.

So I could skip both the .5 and .25 diamond and just get the .5 micron green?

You could if you want one side for plain leather (but you have a hanging strop listed for that). But I prefer a 3,1,0.5 diamond paste on 3 sides with the green chrome on the 4th side to put the final polish on the blade. IMHO the .25 diamond leaves too harsh an edge.

Even though you have 2 -0.5 micron grit sizes, the chrome particle has a much smoother shape and is less agressive than the diamond paste resulting in a smoother feeling edge.

Top Bottom