What's new

Texas Coffee Grinder Co.

Jason recently shared his thoughts on coffee grinders here (by the way, the link is a little messed up in your signature). In his discussion, he recommends grinders from the Texas Coffee Grinder Co. Their grinder mechanisms look identical to the ones that Rockler sells for those who want to make their own grinders. We have a 'display' grinder that looks like it uses one of these mechanisms. I tried it out and let's just say, while it's a working mechanism, it's designed for display only. Dull doesn't begin to describe the condition of the blades.

I'd be interested in making the box and drawer for a good grinder mechanism. So, my questions are:

Does the Texas Coffee Grinder company use these mechanisms?

If they do, are they sharp and do they produce a quality grind (maybe I just have a particularly worn out mechanism)?

If they don't, does anyone know the source for the ones they use?

Thanks,

~Jeff

I honestly don't know, as I don't own one.

You can email the owner at his website to find out where he gets his mechanisms from, and you may be correct that they are the same.

I am under the impression that the mechanisms aren't so great, but it's a Texas company (and my site is a texas coffee site), and they link to us, so it's just a way to return the favor. (I figure if people are paying attention, they'll know the difference on their own)

I'll have to fix the link in the signature later, but thanks for pointing that out.

I still suggest the Hario Skeleton grinder over any other hand grinder by far.

I still suggest the Hario Skeleton grinder over any other hand grinder by far.

I'm on the 'alert list' for when they come in at barismo.com. In the meantime, I received a used Zass last week and really like it. I don't know how old it is, but I'm pretty sure it's not one of the newer vintages that some are complaining about. It doesn't even adjust like the new ones. This one has a lever underneath the mechanism that you twist to adjust the grind.

Do you think the Skeleton's are better than vintage Zass grinders?

Thanks,

~Jeff

I see a lot of hyperbole in his site - he talks about the fact that his grinder weigh more as if that makes a lick of difference.

Whether the burrs are steel or ceramic also doesn't make a difference.

Finally, I would check where he gets his mechanisms - if he gets them from the site listed (and I'm not saying he is or isn't, as I don't know), the site lists the grinding mechanisms as being functional, but intended for decorative purposes.

I also note that Rockler sells the mechanisms for $25 and base kits for $25 - which makes the $140 - $160 this guy is selling these for a bit steep - especially since there's really not much to bases he's making.

I see a lot of hyperbole in his site - he talks about the fact that his grinder weigh more as if that makes a lick of difference.

Finally, I would check where he gets his mechanisms - if he gets them from the site listed (and I'm not saying he is or isn't, as I don't know), the site lists the grinding mechanisms as being functional, but intended for decorative purposes.

I also note that Rockler sells the mechanisms for $25 and base kits for $25 - which makes the $140 - $160 this guy is selling these for a bit steep - especially since there's really not much to bases he's making.

My thoughts were similar, but since Jason mentioned them I thought I'd ask. Since my used Zass arrived last week I'm less interested in finding a mechanism and building a base.

~Jeff

I just wanted to clear something up really quick, and that's the fact that whether the burrs are ceramic or steel actually does make a difference, but everything else about your post seems spot-on.

I just wanted to clear something up really quick, and that's the fact that whether the burrs are ceramic or steel actually does make a difference, but everything else about your post seems spot-on.

How so - not challenging, just curious.

How so - not challenging, just curious.

The sharpness and hardness/durability of a blade used to cut a hard roasted seed into shavings matters quite a bit in the final cup quality.

You can get titanium and titanium allow burrs for certain grinders, because of the difference in makes. The sharper the burr edges, the more aromatics are present in the cup (in general).

Top Bottom