What's new

Bevel setting?

Hell, again!

After reaching a very good performance in straight shaving, I am going to try my luck and start to hone.

I own a Genco and want to give it a new bevel. I have a Belgian Blue stone and a coticule (roughly 4000 and 8000 grit, respectively), what do I need to give a new bevel? Instead of buying another expensive stone can I use some sand paper? If so, what grit?

TB

Grit for setting the bevel depends on the condition of the current bevel. I would go no more coarse than 800-1000 grit. The coarser the grit, the quicker you set the bevel (good) and the more metal you remove (possibly bad). The finer the grit, the slower you set the bevel (good and bad). In other words: coarse grits set the bevel quicker, but that bevel has deeper scratches - they take more time to remove on subsequent hones. Finer grits do take longer to set a bevel, but less time on later hones.

Whatever you choose, be sure to stay on the coarsest hone until the edge convincingly passes the TNT.

I didn't realized that Tiago was Portuguese.

I'm sending him a welcome PM along with some sandpaper resources here in Portugal.

If you work up a really thick, heavy slurry on your 4000 stone and plan on taking the necessary hours, you can set a bevel on the 4000. This slurry will really accelerate how fast the stone will cut. I have no makeshift suggestions on getting that slurry – I use a DMT diamond stone to get a quick slurry if I need something that thick.

Hello!

Just want to thank all the replies, specially Leon´s! It is great to see that I am not alone in the straight shaving adventure here in Portugal :)

I maneged to get an excellent edge in my Genco with the BBW and coticule. But, I have a KROPP, and settled a new bevel with 400-600-1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and it worked great!

Before I go to the sharpening fase, I would like to try and get the blade mirror shiny! I have a dremel, but I don´t know what to use with it to give that polished look...

What do you sugest?

TB

Before I go to the sharpening fase, I would like to try and get the blade mirror shiny! I have a dremel, but I don´t know what to use with it to give that polished look...

What do you sugest?

TB

Hello again Tiago,

You can buy a set of polishing felt wheels on your local Leroy Merlin hardware store. They sell a set by Wolfcraft which contains two felt wheels and two pastes, a blue and a brown with some self-explanatory pictures on how to use them. Simply load some paste on the wheel (use a small portion) and use your rotary tool to start polishing. First go to satin finish, then go to mirror finish.

Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the tip once again Leon!

I will look for those!

By the way, I had a look in to your store and it is great :w00t: I never thought that we had someone in Portugal making such beautiful brushes! The Excelsior looks awsome...

I will soon order some 'La Toja' aftershave :lol:

TB

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL USING A DREMEL TO POLISH YOUR RAZOR!

Two reasons:

#1 be sure the wheel is always rotating AWAY from the edge of the razor, so it does not catch and send a razor flying across the room....

#2 the dremel buffing can heat up a razor very easily to temperatures at which it will lose it's temper and no longer be able to hold a good edge. Do a search for these things before you begin to save any heartache!

Top Bottom