What's new

The one that didn't fly...

Wow, I figured the reserve to be just over $100. I bid earlier at about $86 then figured my wife would kill me so I quit. In the short time I have been buying DEs on eBay, I have certainly seen some changes.

DL

Wow, I figured the reserve to be just over $100. I bid earlier at about $86 then figured my wife would kill me so I quit. In the short time I have been buying DEs on eBay, I have certainly seen some changes.
DL

Its not a surprising price actually, yeah more Tuckaways go for around $50 but that is a truly mint set. The shipper box looks unscathed, the set is flawless, and the blade bank has all of the original 12 blades shipped out with the set. The thing was probably never used. $250ish would have been a fair price. I wonder what the reserve was.

eBay has done a good job of killing my RAD. Prices have gone up and the quality of what I manage to get has gone down.

I am not saying that wasn't a nice set; however, in general things have been a bit higher for many a thing. I do wonder what that reserve was set at...

The reserve could have been set absurdly high in order to just gauge interest rather than actually sell it that round of bidding. I've known sellers to do this in regards to rare car parts.

The original price in 1920 was $5. Adjusting for inflation that would be how much in today's dollars?

The depression caused a slump, but around 1920 5$ would have been about $200.

The other way to look at it, I suppose, is in term of man hours. In 1920 how many hours did the average man have to work to get that razor, as opposed to today to buy a $200 razor? I'm pretty sure that was a princely sum back then.

The other way to look at it, I suppose, is in term of man hours. In 1920 how many hours did the average man have to work to get that razor, as opposed to today to buy a $200 razor? I'm pretty sure that was a princely sum back then.
You can look at it however you choose, but I used the Consumer Price Index.
1 1913 dollar was equivalent to 2.02 1920 dollars.
1 1913 dollar was equivalent to 21.57 2008 dollars.

I'm not sure what shaved derived his figure from.

You can look at it however you choose, but I used the Consumer Price Index.
1 1913 dollar was equivalent to 2.02 1920 dollars.
1 1913 dollar was equivalent to 21.57 2008 dollars.

I'm not sure what shaved derived his figure from.

$5*$21.57/$2.02=$53

I googled an inflation calculator and used that. So its around $50-$60.

$5*$21.57/$2.02=$53

I googled an inflation calculator and used that. So its around $50-$60.
The dangers of doing math in one's head ;)

Anyway, I'm part of some E30 boards and many times sellers will list BMW parts with reserves high enough that they can see the bids and then cancel the sale. Then they use those bids when they price their parts--either as guidelines or even as evidence the parts they are selling have such high worth.

No way of knowing whether that's what happened here, or even if the bids weren't shell bids...but the only thing that really matters is what AsylumGuido posted :( The best way to protect yourself is probably to wait for multiple listings so you can get a more diverse sense of the "value" and try to determine if someone is artificially boosting the selling price.

V

VR6ofpain

Anything sold is always worth exactly what the buyer is willing. It's as simple as that.
You put it perfectly. I like when someone tries to say something is worth some amount, but no one will actually pay it. I am seeing that with homes these days. The asking price is something, realtor says it is worth something else. How won't sell because the offers are not high enough. People are not willing to pay what the owners (in this case, banks) think it is worth. Said house stays on the market for over 6 months, with the asking slowly dropping $10-15K every month.

Not sure I can go with everyone that it is mint. Sure does look it but there are no pictures of the to of the head and I do notice a discoloration on one of the little knobs. Who knows.

Not sure I can go with everyone that it is mint. Sure does look it but there are no pictures of the to of the head and I do notice a discoloration on one of the little knobs. Who knows.

That is just silver tarnish, it will polish. Anything that is silver plated will tarnish over time. So under the definition that mint is something that came from the factory and was kept just as it was is impossible for silver products. However I would consider this mint because it truly looks like the thing has never been used.

Top Bottom